Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

11 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

WITI will have the Packers for years, and has outside of a couple of months since 1976. Fox isn't giving up a free ATM of money and a solid news department because of corporate boredom.

If so why FTS hadn't talked to Benson or hasn't talk to Gray about WVUE then? NOLA is a sports revenue goldmine as well.  WITI is on borrowed time in FTS. It's not cost effective according to the present FTS model to keep a no growth medium sized DMA like Milwaukee.  They might as well acquire WLUK from Sinclair from that perspective.  Even if Milwaukee is the de facto Packers home bigger market. Nexstar and FTS are likely going to be swapping out more stations in the few years. Yeah, I expect WJZY/WMYT to be back a part of that conversation as Charlotte as it's a NFC market, sports revenue (NBA, MLS, NASCAR) and is still fast growing even during this global pandemic.

I was in a conference call where the assumption is that Charlotte proper is 1M+ residents and that's just the city, and there's at least 2M+ residents in the DMA outside of Mecklenburg County. The 2020-2021 Nielsen number of households in the Charlotte DMA is going to shock everyone as its growth is extremely fast.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have they not done so? I just figured that whoever owned WVUE at a given time didn't want to sell - and, perhaps, when Emmis had the station on the block, Fox had no interest in getting into a competitive bidding situation. They seem like they would prefer to make deals on their own terms.

Ironically, Fox used to co-own WVUE and WLUK with Savoy (and later, Silver King/USA), but Barry Diller got them to go along with selling them to Emmis.

1 minute ago, channel2 said:

Have they not done so? I just figured that whoever owned WVUE at a given time didn't want to sell - and, perhaps, when Emmis had the station on the block, Fox had no interest in getting into a competitive bidding situation. They seem like they would prefer to make deals on their own terms.

Ironically, Fox used to co-own WVUE and WLUK with Savoy (and later, Silver King/USA), but Barry Diller got them to go along with selling them to Emmis.

Fox used to co-own WVUE in the 1990s, but has shown zero interest in full acquisition of the station because NOLA is not big enough nor a growing DMA.

8 hours ago, channel2 said:

People talk a lot about the NFL, but Fox also wanted WITI so as to lock down Brewers and Badgers revenue as well!

Badgers don't exist

2 hours ago, jero23 said:

If so why FTS hadn't talked to Benson or hasn't talk to Gray about WVUE then? NOLA is a sports revenue goldmine as well.  WITI is on borrowed time in FTS. It's not cost effective according to the present FTS model to keep a no growth medium sized DMA like Milwaukee.  They might as well acquire WLUK from Sinclair from that perspective.  Even if Milwaukee is the de facto Packers home bigger market. Nexstar and FTS are likely going to be swapping out more stations in the few years. Yeah, I expect WJZY/WMYT to be back a part of that conversation as Charlotte as it's a NFC market, sports revenue (NBA, MLS, NASCAR) and is still fast growing even during this global pandemic.

I was in a conference call where the assumption is that Charlotte proper is 1M+ residents and that's just the city, and there's at least 2M+ residents in the DMA outside of Mecklenburg County. The 2020-2021 Nielsen number of households in the Charlotte DMA is going to shock everyone as its growth is extremely fast.

It's not +1 million

19 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Badgers don't exist

It's not +1 million

Actually, I work in demographics and the City of Charlotte is likely 1 million+ residents.  Mecklenburg County is already over 1 million residents

17 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

They also relaunched their mobile apps, when they could’ve simply updated what they already had.

IIRC Nexstar uses a different platform for their mobile news apps as opposed to what FOX Television Stations is using.

1 hour ago, AaronQ said:

IIRC Nexstar uses a different platform for their mobile news apps as opposed to what FOX Television Stations is using.

They need to get that live newscast stream working ASAP.

11 hours ago, jero23 said:

11 hours ago, channel2 said:

Not sure why WVUE is the only option. Couldn’t they make another deal with Nexstar for WGNO/WNOL and turn them into a Fox/MNTV duopoly?

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

Not sure why WVUE is the only option. Couldn’t they make another deal with Nexstar for WGNO/WNOL and turn them into a Fox/MNTV duopoly?

Last thing Fox wants to do is downgrade from a station that's been challenging WWL for its market dominance to a station that they would essentially have to build from scratch.

They learned from Charlotte which is why they didn't try to do the same thing in Seattle. 

15 hours ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Last thing Fox wants to do is downgrade from a station that's been challenging WWL for its market dominance to a station that they would essentially have to build from scratch.

They learned from Charlotte which is why they didn't try to do the same thing in Seattle

Also rowdy owners the reason why the got JZY' because the owner of WCCB didn't wanna give them up partially because of them control master control operations of WOLO the ABC station in Columbia. Now WVUE doesn't have a rowdy owner like Bakahel but Gray wouldn't wanna give it up. I mean it would be reasonable to buy WGNO there a failing station, they lost there Glory days of the early 90s to early 2000s, until the News With A Twist crap came out and took over all there evening and late news. But it would make them more competitive cause Nexstar is doing nothing with them. Especially the Nexstar emphasis Local Need but aren't making reasonable investments with WGNO and the sister-station. Plus it's be nice to have an O&O in New Orleans that sounds like a great idea.

11 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Also rowdy owners the reason why the got JZY' because the owner of WCCB didn't wanna give them up partially because of them control master control operations of WOLO the ABC station in Columbia. Now WVUE doesn't have a rowdy owner like Bakahel but Gray wouldn't wanna give it up. I mean it would be reasonable to buy WGNO there a failing station, they lost there Glory days of the early 90s to early 2000s, until the News With A Twist crap came out and took over all there evening and late news. But it would make them more competitive cause Nexstar is doing nothing with them. Especially the Nexstar emphasis Local Need but aren't making reasonable investments with WGNO and the sister-station. Plus it's be nice to have an O&O in New Orleans that sounds like a great idea.

Also it kept Fox from buying Sinclair stations in Cincinnati, Raleigh/Durham, Vegas and Norfolk, allowed WRAZ in Raleigh-Durham to keep the Fox affiliation.

52 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Also it kept Fox from buying Sinclair stations in Cincinnati, Raleigh/Durham, Vegas and Norfolk, allowed WRAZ in Raleigh-Durham to keep the Fox affiliation.

True but FOX in Raleigh needs to be bought. Do does Cincy, Norfolk and Vegas. But I'm not sure about Norfolk. Raleigh would be a good market because of them FOX Sports Carolinas did games and the Hurricanes meaning they wouldn't have to split profits. But FOX is so focused on NFC it's nothing now and they've sold all there regional Sports Networks Anyway. But would have created Raleigh it's 6th news department to be equal with Charlotte. Because all the other potential affilates had news departments, and FOX has been interested in this area until FOX sold the regional sports networks (RSNs). But with ION deal that would've gotten us there but they denied that. That was understandable it would've cost way to much money to operate, start news start departments and renovate upgrade all those station, especially negotiate all those affilates deals after losing there Long-Term FOX affilations plus the compensation it would've been way to much money.  Which would made sense to decline. But again it would've benefitted Raleigh giving it a 6th need department the Raleigh/Durham markets ready for it.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

True but FOX in Raleigh needs to be bought. Do does Cincy, Norfolk and Vegas. But I'm not sure about Norfolk. Raleigh would be a good market because of them FOX Sports Carolinas did games and the Hurricanes meaning they wouldn't have to split profits. But FOX is so focused on NFC it's nothing now and they've sold all there regional Sports Networks Anyway. But would have created Raleigh it's 6th news department to be equal with Charlotte. Because all the other potential affilates had news departments, and FOX has been interested in this area until FOX sold the regional sports networks (RSNs). But with ION deal that would've gotten us there but they denied that. That was understandable it would've cost way to much money to operate, start news start departments and renovate upgrade all those station, especially negotiate all those affilates deals after losing there Long-Term FOX affilations plus the compensation it would've been way to much money.  Which would made sense to decline. But again it would've benefitted Raleigh giving it a 6th need department the Raleigh/Durham markets ready for it.

Charlotte only has five (unless you’re counting Spectrum News)

I agree that WRAZ needs to go out on its own. Put WRDC with WRAL. Capitol wouldn’t even need to buy the station to put its 10:00 news on there (WTVD has theirs on WLFL).

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Charlotte only has five (unless you’re counting Spectrum News)

I agree that WRAZ needs to go out on its own. Put WRDC with WRAL. Capitol wouldn’t even need to buy the station to put its 10:00 news on there (WTVD has theirs on WLFL).

Yeah WRAZ needs to go become a FOX O&O or something and switch with WRDC in ownership they would get the "MyNetworkTV" affiliation and it be better if they were a CW affiliate that would more sense for common NBC affiliates the NBC/CW Combo and put the 10:00 P.M. and the morning 7 A.M.-9 A.M. morning shows there.

Yeah i'm counting that, Cause also for Raleigh (I'm counting Univision and they've at one point out ranked the other stations in competition one time in 2015 before the WRAL and WNCN affiliation switch there 6 P.M. news was actually was number #1) I wouldn't count them because there Spanish less newscast M-F 6 P.M. and 11 P.M. but since they've been a little competitive and credible and have good news, and sometimes will go out their way to have wall-to-wall  breaking news and weather coverage at times using Atlanta and Philadelphia, and the San Antonio resources. And they provide morning updates and weekend programming breakable for news at times. Four years I wouldn't have counted them, and yes im counting spectrum news here in Raleigh too.

34 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Yeah WRAZ needs to go become a FOX O&O or something and switch with WRDC in ownership they would get the "MyNetworkTV" affiliation and it be better if they were a CW affiliate that would more sense for common NBC affiliates the NBC/CW Combo and put the 10:00 P.M. and the morning 7 A.M.-9 A.M. morning shows there.

Yeah i'm counting that, Cause also for Raleigh (I'm counting Univision and they've at one point out ranked the other stations in competition one time in 2015 before the WRAL and WNCN affiliation switch there 6 P.M. news was actually was number #1) I wouldn't count them because there Spanish less newscast M-F 6 P.M. and 11 P.M. but since they've been a little competitive and credible and have good news, and sometimes will go out their way to have wall-to-wall  breaking news and weather coverage at times using Atlanta and Philadelphia, and the San Antonio resources. And they provide morning updates and weekend programming breakable for news at times. Four years I wouldn't have counted them, and yes im counting spectrum news here in Raleigh too.

No need for CW to switch from WLFL...it already has WTVD’s 10:00 news. MyNet could go to WRAZ in late nights if they became an O&O. WRDC could become Raleigh-Durham’s WAXN.

This won't happen. I think FOX likes WRAZ and its relationship with WRAL and considering both are very strong affiliates to their respective networks, you can dash those dreams goodbye.

I think FOX is jealous of WRAL's strength and dominance in its ratings but also happy to have such a relationship with a legendary "big three" station that WRAL is.

I'm sorry to say this but I think WLFL will remain The CW and WRDC will remain as MNT for decades to come.

Shouldn't this whole discussion about North Carolina (Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham) be in the Speculation thread and this Nexstar-Tribune thread be retired? It's been almost 8 months since the deal was completed and there's no sense in keeping the thread alive other than obviously just turning this thread into a speculation thread.

I'll add one more thing any further trades between Fox and Nexstar will probably be pure speculation for awhile thus that's where it should be at.

8 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Shouldn't this whole discussion about North Carolina (Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham) be in the Speculation thread and this Nexstar-Tribune thread be retired? It's been almost 8 months since the deal was completed and there's no sense in keeping the thread alive other than obviously just turning this thread into a speculation thread.

I'll add one more thing any further trades between Fox and Nexstar will probably be pure speculation for awhile thus that's where it should be at.

I just posted about WJZY getting the Nexstar layout. But I was the one who brought up Raleigh in the first place. As we discussed before, the WJZY/WMYT/KCPQ/KJZO/WITI swap should’ve had its own thread to begin with but it didn’t. Any future WJZY news will be put in Out and About.

On 5/1/2020 at 3:17 PM, Gavin said:

Badgers don't exist

You just dissed the whole state of Wisconsin! Haha. JK. But in reality, there is something called... the Wisconsin Badgers from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

On 5/1/2020 at 3:57 PM, Nelson R. said:

They need to get that live newscast stream working ASAP.

Live streaming on the updated KDVR & KWGN app, is a joke.  Nexstar apparently can't seem to get stuff to stream to the apps very well, the picture most of the time freezes and then it's just the audio.    The stream works just fine at the full website. 

On 5/1/2020 at 3:38 PM, jero23 said:

Actually, I work in demographics and the City of Charlotte is likely 1 million+ residents.  Mecklenburg County is already over 1 million residents

Wake County does too...

On 5/1/2020 at 3:38 PM, jero23 said:

Wake County does too... In fact, it the largest county in the state it's all about spread.

12 hours ago, Gavin said:

Wake County does too...

Wake County does too... In fact, it the largest county in the state it's all about spread.

Dude, Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville is not larger market than Charlotte. 

I understand your passion for Raleigh-Durham but it is a multi-nodal urbanized area over 3 counties; whereas Charlotte is a centralized area with one very large consolidated urbanized area surrounding the large singular core.  The size/spread of Wake County or it being the largest in NC is irrelevant.  The Charlotte metro is two states (NC & SC) with a population of 3 million people and its DMA is about 3.5+ million individuals over the 22 counties (18 in NC and 4 in SC) in both states.  Raleigh-Durham is not in the same boat as Charlotte as it in one single state (NC).  Charlotte is more populated metro and DMA in a smaller geographic region.

Archived