Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

5 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

MyNetworkTV runs at 3am in a few markets and most of its affiliates run shows you can easily find on any cable channel, and MyNetworkTV is merely a Fox programming service, not a network with much, if any leverage. Outside of a few talk/court show fans, it's probably known between Fox, Nexstar and Google that carriage of these stations is a low priority overall and it's better to leave it out so that a Big Four/CW station can air instead.

Which makes Nexstar’s decision that much more ludicrous, deciding not to carry stations on YouTube TV over ten hours of programming a week. It would be better if MNT just went away though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, channel2 said:

Actually, didn't Univision buy WKFT (now WUVC) from Bahakel by itself? It wasn't one of the USA stations.

You're absolutely right. The truth is WKFT was independent this market Raleigh-Durham was an independent and with a fast growing Hispanic population faster than Charlotte they wanted a North Carolina station. It has nothing to do with the USA deal. So did Disney/ABC they were outbidded.

7 hours ago, jero23 said:

Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA Hispanic population has only 10-11K population difference.  Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville is 82K and Charlotte is 71K.  Fayetteville is what edges that DMA out over Charlotte which is just its metro and the NC mountain counties.  That really doesn't make Charlotte pretty small as both are under 100K.  Also Charlotte DMA is growing faster than Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA overall. 

Meh, Charlotte has surpassed the Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA on viability. ABC lucked up on WTVD, Univision got WUVC was a package deal with WUVG and the Miami station, and ZGS cashed out on all of its Telemundo stations to NBC Universal/Comcast. 

The reason why networks hadn't jumped on the Charlotte in the past was because of the prominence of WSOC, WBTV, along with Belo-owning WCNC, Charlotte-based Bakahel holding on to WCCB tight as its flagship, and Raleigh-based Capitol Broadcasting WJZY and WMYT until Fox snatched them up.  Charlotte was not seen as the big market because of its lack of positioning in as a large media market until the 2010s although it has a NFC football franchise based there since 1995.  Fox is likely to do the do-si-do like it did with WFXT in Boston with WJZY because the Bakahel descendants doesn't want to let go of WCCB.  The problem is Fox is going to have do another loopsided swap to get WJZY/WMYT back from Nexstar (which was very foolish on the Murdoch's part to allow in the first place).

On a related note, Nexstar's cheap asses have already started. They have yanked WMYT off YoutubeTV and removed all of the on-air bugs from local and syndicated programming on both stations (WJZY and WMYT).  This is Nexstar is a garbage and going to be a big problem for both stations.

But y'all don't care about Austin there DMA 40 smaller than Raleigh-Durham-Fayettevile. And they have a FOX Owned Station. They have NFC football no team at all, they're just getting MLS and two we have one team in Raleigh-Durham NHL' Canes broadcast on FOX Sports Carolinas. And we don't know who Austin MLS Broadcast Partner.

5 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Which makes Nexstar’s decision that much more ludicrous, deciding not to carry stations on YouTube TV over ten hours of programming a week. It would be better if MNT just went away though.

They basically have the same sway as the few indies not owned by CBS, Fox, or Weigel; none at all. YTTV generally doesn't carry ANY local station that mainly airs reruns unless they pay like Weigel and Sinclair do to carry the national feeds for their sub channels. 

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

But y'all don't care about Austin there DMA 40 smaller than Raleigh-Durham-Fayettevile. And they have a FOX Owned Station. They have NFC football no team at all, they're just getting MLS and two we have one team in Raleigh-Durham NHL' Canes broadcast on FOX Sports Carolinas. And we don't know who Austin MLS Broadcast Partner.

KTBC, WOFL/WOGX should have been gone from the FOX O&O portfolio years ago. I'm certain that keeping those 3 stations will be gone from their portfolio in the next few years. Charlotte is a better fit, NFC franchise, MLS franchise, and NASCAR, etc. For the record, FOX sold regional sports networks about 2 years ago to Sinclair and Byron Allen.

7 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

It’s not just WMYT...I was reading on the Retransmission Consent Squabbles board that Nexstar does not have an agreement to carry My Network TV affiliates on YouTube TV. Which doesn’t make any sense. I wish MNT would pull affiliations for that, I mean would people really notice if it went to WAXN? And then WMYT could go back on YouTubeTV. I didn’t even notice about the on-air logo bug thing, that’s also crazy. And have you noticed they have usually not showed the time much on the 10:00 news? Also people were complaining on Twitter about WJZY not airing the virtual NASCAR iRace last Sunday (though it was on FS1) and even a rerun of Super Bowl LI, which even though it was a rerun was not a great decision by Nexstar considering it was such a big blown lead by the division rival Falcons. But I think they must have got enough complaints that they are airing both classic football and the virtual race on Sunday. I do like the close by Nexstar at the end of every newscast and I also love that Nexstar does air the national anthem at 4am every day, but still some questionable decisions in their first month of ownership.

You're alone on the Nexstar closing is embarrassing on a station with brand new FTS graphics. I cannot believe that are airing the national anthem daily.  Yeah, Fox needs to reacquire this duo, asap.

14 minutes ago, jero23 said:

You're alone on the Nexstar closing is embarrassing on a station with brand new FTS graphics. I cannot believe that are airing the national anthem daily.  Yeah, Fox needs to reacquire this duo, asap.

Well, the new Fox O&O look will eventually be syndicated, so why not start now?

8 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Therefore it wouldn't make sense for Nexstar to dump the Fox O&O package when eventually the O&O package will eventually be syndicated to the affiliates.

In fact, I'll bet that Nexstar will just integrate the WJZY pkg into the Nexstar graphics system and will eventually roll it out to the Nexstar Fox affiliates once the rollout on the O&Os is complete

42 minutes ago, jero23 said:

KTBC, WOFL/WOGX should have been gone from the FOX O&O portfolio years ago. I'm certain that keeping those 3 stations will be gone from their portfolio in the next few years. Charlotte is a better fit, NFC franchise, MLS franchise, and NASCAR, etc. For the record, FOX sold regional sports networks about 2 years ago to Sinclair and Byron Allen.

You're alone on the Nexstar closing is embarrassing on a station with brand new FTS graphics. I cannot believe that are airing the national anthem daily. Yeah, Fox needs to reacquire this duo asap.

Yeah well ABC is different we have sports but it's college and we profit of that all ABC O&Os except for Fresno profit from it. That have no college teams or sports in Fresno not even college just minor league crap.

As for the WJZY situation, Nexstar made it stations do the National Anthem daily at 4am WNCN also here in Raleigh does it before the "CBS Morning News". It just a Nexstar mandate they copied from CBS O&Os.

Update: Can't put all eggs in the same basket Orlando id a big market can't have all stations with NFC football that a business thing just can't have all stations they have NFC teams.

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

Yeah well ABC is different we have sports but it's college and we profit of that all ABC O&Is except for Fresno profit from it. That have no college teams or sports in Fresno not even college just minor league crap.

As for the WJZY situation, Nexstar made it stations do the National Anthem daily at 4am WNCN also here in Raleigh does it before the CBS Morning News. It just a Nexstar mandate they copied from CBS O&Os.

Gray stations do it too

11 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Therefore it wouldn't make sense for Nexstar to dump the Fox O&O package when eventually the O&O package will eventually be syndicated to the affiliates.

In fact, I'll bet that Nexstar will just integrate the WJZY pkg into the Nexstar graphics system and will eventually roll it out to the Nexstar Fox affiliates once the rollout on the O&Os is complete

11 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

That definitely explains why WJZY got the O&O graphics a month and a half before the sale went through.

As me and @oknewsguy discussed last night, the WJZY/WMYT swap with KCPQ/KZJO/WITI should have got its own thread back in November, I didn’t know about it for two days or I would’ve started one. 

On 4/3/2020 at 9:16 PM, Gavin said:

Yeah well ABC is different we have sports but it's college and we profit of that all ABC O&Os except for Fresno profit from it. That have no college teams or sports in Fresno not even college just minor league crap.

As for the WJZY situation, Nexstar made it stations do the National Anthem daily at 4am WNCN also here in Raleigh does it before the "CBS Morning News". It just a Nexstar mandate they copied from CBS O&Os.

Update: Can't put all eggs in the same basket Orlando id a big market can't have all stations with NFC football that a business thing just can't have all stations they have NFC teams.

Charlotte is likely to surpass Orlando in the next five years because its explosive growth. Fox will get their hands on Fox stations in every NFC market except for NOLA and Green Bay market itself. 

On 4/3/2020 at 8:50 PM, Georgie56 said:

It should since many of these decisions are not logical with these swaps. 

Just now, mre29 said:

THIS.

Some of not all of their shows like Law and Order and Chicago PD and Dateline are already in syndication anyway, the latter two on WMYT, who air both the MyNet runs and the syndicated reruns.

Maybe MyNetworkTV can stick around, but perhaps they don't need to be in every market.  I do see its value for stations that would otherwise not have any "major" network to affiliate with at all.

As for me, the few times I watch WMYT at all it's usually something other than programming from MyNetworkTV.  I think Fox should invest in more content for MNT's primetime lineup. 

On 4/6/2020 at 3:19 PM, TheRyan said:

Maybe MyNetworkTV can stick around, but perhaps they don't need to be in every market.  I do see its value for stations that would otherwise not have any "major" network to affiliate with at all.

As for me, the few times I watch WMYT at all it's usually something other than programming from MyNetworkTV.  I think Fox should invest in more content for MNT's primetime lineup.

FOX did for three years before giving up in 2009. Its been a syndication service longer than an original program-type network. I say get rid of MNT already and have those stations finally become Independent again.

11 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

FOX did for three years before giving up in 2009. Its been a syndication service longer than an original program-type network. I say get rid of MNT already and have those stations finally become Independent again.

I can see the “Get it on 13” moniker on KCOP again 😆

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

My intent was to say that Fox should get some different syndicated shows for MyTV.  I can think of several shows that would instantly benefit their ratings.

4 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

They are independent, people just pretend MNTV is a network.

45 minutes ago, DENDude said:

I have heard that My Network TV is a cash cow for FTS, it must be doing well enough that FOX hasn't pulled the plug.  

FTS is upselling their programming service. It's attractive for stations groups who don't want to independently program their indie network.

Having a MyNetwork "affiliation" is a benefit for other owners (with networks other than CW or Fox) so the ad inventory is an added value, and the times it makes available for stations to provide a newscast at a different time and expand their output.  The branding and prime time schedule creates the appearance of a network and the freedom for affiliates to do as they please otherwise.

I just hope Nexstar and the other owners realize this with their CW and MyNetwork stations (and WGN)...by aligning with Google and YTTV they are both benefiting from being a part of one of the most user friendly pay tv services to ever come about.   The way the other companies have dug themselves in the hole is about to come to reckoning.

13 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Having a MyNetwork "affiliation" is a benefit for other owners (with networks other than CW or Fox) so the ad inventory is an added value, and the times it makes available for stations to provide a newscast at a different time and expand their output.  The branding and prime time schedule creates the appearance of a network and the freedom for affiliates to do as they please otherwise.

I just hope Nexstar and the other owners realize this with their CW and MyNetwork stations (and WGN)...by aligning with Google and YTTV they are both benefiting from being a part of one of the most user friendly pay tv services to ever come about.   The way the other companies have dug themselves in the hole is about to come to reckoning.

The MyNet in my town is an Antenna TV subchannel with their primetime removed and a "My28" bug on the screen at all times.

9 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

The MyNet in my town is an Antenna TV subchannel with their primetime removed and a "My28" bug on the screen at all times.

The subchannels tend to keep their primary affiliation with a diginet and only air the network programming (but keep the branding).

Probably the most notorious of this is WOIO's MeTV subchannel, which airs MyNetwork content late at night.  Otherwise, they usually air the shows in pattern or slightly off pattern.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived