Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SFTV said:

So is this Nexstar and FOX issue finally done now? No more sales/tradingĀ and that whole KSWB and KTXL is put to rest?

No it doesn't. The article that was posted on this thread a few months back said the sale of KSWB and KTXL was in addition to selling KCPQ. The idea was being explored pending valuation of the stations.

Ā 

Screenshot_20200303-011710.png

14 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Why do they need to drop the bug during the Nexstar sequence?Ā  To me it's a non-issue.Ā  The bug doesn't conflict with the Nexstar logo.

Ā 

(Glad to see WJZY join Nexstar, btw.)

Ā 

Uh why are you glad that Nexstar owns WJZY?Ā  Charlotte is now the largest major market in the nation without a major network owned and operated station. That's looks odd in an era where major networks want at least one O&O stationĀ inĀ markets in the top 25 areas of the US. While Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA, a smaller market has two O&Os (ABC and Telemundo).Ā It's especially odd considering Charlotte is the 3rd fastest growing region in the nation.Ā 

5 hours ago, jero23 said:

Ā 

Uh why are you glad that Nexstar owns WJZY?Ā  Charlotte is now the largest major market in the nation without a major network owned and operated station. That's looks odd in an era where major networks want at least one O&O stationĀ inĀ markets in the top 25 areas of the US. While Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA, a smaller market has two O&Os (ABC and Telemundo).Ā It's especially odd considering Charlotte is the 3rd fastest growing region in the nation.Ā 

Admittedly I wish Nexstar had bought WBTV instead. Not happy with the way Gray has de-emphasized sports. Iā€™m not sure Nexstar would have doneĀ the same.Ā Itā€™s one thing to cut back to two sports anchors. But to cut back to just one sports anchor? They have not filled Delano LittleĀ or Ashley Strohleinā€™sĀ spots. Ashley left for WCNC...if they were going to fill her position I donā€™t think she wouldā€™ve left. Now they have no sports during the 6:00 news. And there has been a mass exodus since the Gray takeover. It hasnā€™t been just sports. Brigida Mack left...for...you guessed it, WJZY. And their all local daytime/prime accessĀ schedule seems to fit Nexstar like a glove.

Ā 

And I may have been a little hard on WJZY...the news department started out with two strikes against them with the failedĀ ā€œHey, Hey Carolinasā€ soft news experiment. FTS used Charlotte for a guinea pig and then sacrificed them for Seattle.Ā They probably gave up on them too soon. Maybe they can get back in the market someday.

Ā 

That said, weā€™ll see whatĀ Nexstar can do forĀ this station.Ā 

53 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Admittedly I wish Nexstar had bought WBTV instead. Not happy with the way Gray has de-emphasized sports. Iā€™m not sure Nexstar would have doneĀ the same.Ā Itā€™s one thing to cut back to two sports anchors. But to cut back to just one sports anchor? They have not filled Delano LittleĀ or Ashley Strohleinā€™sĀ spots. Ashley left for WCNC...if they were going to fill her position I donā€™t think she wouldā€™ve left. Now they have no sports during the 6:00 news. And there has been a mass exodus since the Gray takeover. It hasnā€™t been just sports. Brigida Mack left...for...you guessed it, WJZY. And their all local daytime/prime accessĀ schedule seems to fit Nexstar like a glove.

Ā 

I don't think that really was a Gray corporateĀ thing, the company itself is very hands off of their stations, minus the automation roll outs they have been doing to the Raycom stations.

Ā 

For example, Fox 13 in Memphis is owned by Cox and they fired their whole sports department when they took them over, now reportersĀ and anchors do the sports segment. While Channel 9 in Charlotte still has a two person sports team. Same company, different outcomes.Ā 

Ā 

Trying to somewhat keep this on topic, it's interesting to see that Memphis and Charlotte have the same ownership groups in place now. Nexstar: WREG and WJZY. Gray: WMC and WBTV. Tegna: WATN and WCNC and Cox: WHBQ and WSOC. If you kinda count the fringe West Tennessee Counties in the Memphis DMAĀ that see the Jackson, TN market, Bahakel: WBBJ and WCCB. So, just an interesting nugget.Ā 

21 minutes ago, Working4You said:

Ā 

I don't think that really was a Gray corporateĀ thing, the company itself is very hands off of their stations, minus the automation roll outs they have been doing to the Raycom stations.

Ā 

For example, Fox 13 in Memphis is owned by Cox and they fired their whole sports department when they took them over, now reportersĀ and anchors do the sports segment. While Channel 9 in Charlotte still has a two person sports team. Same company, different outcomes.Ā 

Ā 

Trying to somewhat keep this on topic, it's interesting to see that Memphis and Charlotte have the same ownership groups in place now. Nexstar: WREG and WJZY. Gray: WMC and WBTV. Tegna: WATN and WCNC and Cox: WHBQ and WSOC. If you kinda count the fringe West Tennessee Counties in the Memphis DMAĀ that see the Jackson, TN market, Bahakel: WBBJ and WCCB. So, just an interesting nugget.Ā 

Seattle's KIRO 7 no longer airs regular sport segments on the weeknight newscasts, either, just on the weekend evening newscasts.

7 hours ago, jero23 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Because (overall) Nexstar does a really good job when it comes to newscasts.Ā  FTS didn't do even an OKĀ job at first with WJZY, although they have gotten far better since their 2014 launch.

Ā 

I live in the Charlotte DMA.Ā  I've been wanting Nexstar to come to Charlotte and I'm happy to see them now in this market.

Ā 

WJZY started off as a disastrous experiment.Ā  They have made tremendous improvements since 2014.Ā  That being said, I think WJZY is poised for success with Nexstar.

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

Ā 

Because (overall) Nexstar does a really good job when it comes to newscasts.Ā  FTS didn't do even an OKĀ job at first with WJZY, although they have gotten far better since their 2014 launch.

Ā 

I live in the Charlotte DMA.Ā  I've been wanting Nexstar to come to Charlotte and I'm happy to see them now in this market.

Ā 

WJZY started off as a disastrous experiment.Ā  They have made tremendous improvements since 2014.Ā  That being said, I think WJZY is poised for success with Nexstar.

Ā 

You don't find it strange that Charlotte (DMA #21) doesn't have any major networks O&O stations?

49 minutes ago, jero23 said:

Ā 

You don't find it strange that Charlotte (DMA #21) doesn't have any major networks O&O stations?

Ā 

To be honest...not really.Ā  Besides, there is always a possibility that a network could acquire a station here in the future.Ā  But I wouldn't count it against the Charlotte DMA as a whole.Ā  Just because we might not have an O&O at the moment doesn't mean there's something wrong with the market.Ā  It's just the way things worked out for WJZY.Ā  FTS had a chance to score big but they blew it by using WJZY as a cheap guinea pig at first and only learned their lesson, perhaps too little too late.Ā  I think WJZY in its present form isĀ putting out a very good news product, but apparently FTS didn't see enough value in retaining them.Ā  Unfortunate?Ā  Yes, but at least Nexstar is now in the market and I think they will build on the success that FTS has been doing for WJZY lately and the mainstays in the market will soon have a formidable competitor in WJZY.

Ā 

That all being said, our DMA has a good plurality of station owners right now.Ā  Cox, Nexstar, Gray, Tegna, and Bahakel...plus WHKY in Hickory...it's not like we have a shortage of multiple owners.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:19 PM, TheRyan said:

Ā 

To be honest...not really.Ā  Besides, there is always a possibility that a network could acquire a station here in the future.Ā  But I wouldn't count it against the Charlotte DMA as a whole.Ā  Just because we might not have an O&O at the moment doesn't mean there's something wrong with the market.Ā  It's just the way things worked out for WJZY.Ā  FTS had a chance to score big but they blew it by using WJZY as a cheap guinea pig at first and only learned their lesson, perhaps too little too late.Ā  I think WJZY in its present form isĀ putting out a very good news product, but apparently FTS didn't see enough value in retaining them.Ā  Unfortunate?Ā  Yes, but at least Nexstar is now in the market and I think they will build on the success that FTS has been doing for WJZY lately and the mainstays in the market will soon have a formidable competitor in WJZY.

Ā 

That all being said, our DMA has a good plurality of station owners right now.Ā  Cox, Nexstar, Gray, Tegna, and Bahakel...plus WHKY in Hickory...it's not like we have a shortage of multiple owners.

The thing that gets me is that Raleigh have a Univision/UniMas station (WUVC/WTNC), but Charlotte doesn't. And the only way you get local Univision/UniMas in this city is if you get it through Spectrum.

2 hours ago, AaronQ said:

The thing that gets me is that Raleigh have a Univision/UniMs station (WUVC/WTNC), but Charlotte doesn't. And the only way you get local Univision/UniMas in this city is if you get it through Spectrum.

Ā 

I'm kinda surprised WUVC hasn't launched aĀ translator/repeater in Charlotte.Ā Ā 

On 3/3/2020 at 11:37 AM, jero23 said:

Charlotte is now the largest major market in the nation without a major network owned and operated station.

Did it have any O&Os before Fox bought WJZY?

Ā 

7 minutes ago, mre29 said:

So, not really anything odd as far as the Charlotte market is concerned.

Ā 

It would be nice to have an O&O again but as someone else said, just the way things worked out. As I pointed out in another post, WJZY had two strikes against them from the beginning of the launch of its news department with the Hey, Hey Carolinas soft news fiasco that they are only now starting to recover from. Also WCCBā€™s news was already established. And Morgan Fogarty returned to WCCB after only a month at Al Jazerra America when the affiliation switch first occurred, before the launch of WJZYā€™s news department in 2013.Ā Hopefully Nexstar will continue to improve the station.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:34 PM, mre29 said:

So, not really anything odd as far as the Charlotte market is concerned.

Ā 

Ā 

It's about size of the DMA. It's about to be a major market in the top 20 largest.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:58 PM, Working4You said:

Ā 

Before the transfer of WJZY/WMYT to Nexstar, Charlotte and AtlantaĀ had three common ownership groups...FTS (WJZY/WMYT and WAGA), Ā Tegna (WCNC and WXIA/WATL), both NBC)Ā and Apollo/Cox (WSOC/WAXN and WSB).Ā Also WSOC and WSB bothĀ switched to ABC a little over 2 years apartĀ from NBC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, Nelson R. said:

Before the transfer of WJZY/WMYT to Nexstar, Charlotte and AtlantaĀ had three common ownership groups...FTS (WJZY/WMYT and WAGA), Ā Tegna (WCNC and WXIA/WATL), both NBC)Ā and Apollo/Cox (WSOC/WAXN and WSB).Ā Also WSOC and WSB bothĀ switched to ABC a little over 2 years apartĀ from NBC.

And I just realized that Charlotte and Columbia have three common ownership groups...Gray, (WBTV/WIS), Tegna (WCNC/WLTX)Ā Ā and Bahakel (WCCB/WOLO). Interesting that theĀ network affiliations are reversed for theĀ Gray and Tegna stationsĀ in the two cities. And both WBTV and WCNC hired a female employee from their respective Columbia sister station. (Mary King and SavannahĀ Levins).Ā And WCCB used to produce WOLOā€™s news.

Ā 

Ā 

Nah, that to bad, ABC loves it station including WTVD which is making hella money for them, (maybe Fresno is the small one not Raleigh-Durham is a pretty big market)Ā 

Also the reason for the Telemundo O&O was also similar merger and Raleigh Hispanic DMA and Population is twice Charlotte's. And you forgot we have a Univision O&O also a result of a merger the U said this is a fast growing market, and they a made an even smarter decision because Univision allowed them to make more money by letting them expand into the Time Warner Cable (Now Spectrum) Charlotte market for more advertising market for there small Hispanic market.Ā 

Ā 

I know Rakeigh is a little behind but it's about long term investments in Charlotte no big 3 gonna get them I see FOX getting them again.

On 3/5/2020 at 12:46 AM, TheRyan said:

Ā 

I'm kinda surprised WUVC hasn't launched aĀ translator/repeater in Charlotte.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Cause it outta market, it's same in Greensboro, Myrtle Beach/Florence markets. Charlotte Hispanic population is pretty small compared to Raleigh were bigger Hispanic DMA than you guys are. It's like Dallas and Houston were just gonna be rivals have the same teams everything, etcĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Raleigh-Durham is 25. Little troubling done markets had a slide.

Ā 

10 hours ago, Gavin said:

Ā 

Cause it outta market, it's same in Greensboro, Myrtle Beach/Florence markets. Charlotte Hispanic population is pretty small compared to Raleigh were bigger Hispanic DMA than you guys are. It's like Dallas and Houston were just gonna be rivals have the same teams everything, etcĀ 

Ā 

Raleigh-Durham is 25. Little troubling done markets had a slide.

Ā 

Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA Hispanic population has only 10-11K population difference.Ā  Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville is 82K and Charlotte is 71K.Ā  Fayetteville is what edges that DMA out over Charlotte which is just its metro and the NC mountain counties.Ā  That really doesn't make Charlotte pretty small as both are under 100K.Ā  Also Charlotte DMA is growing faster than Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMAĀ overall.Ā 

On 4/1/2020 at 10:26 PM, Gavin said:

Ā 

Nah, that to bad, ABC loves it station including WTVD which is making hella money for them, (maybe Fresno is the small one not Raleigh-Durham is a pretty big market)Ā 

Also the reason for the Telemundo O&O was also similar merger and Raleigh Hispanic DMA and Population is twice Charlotte's. And you forgot we have a Univision O&O also a result of a merger the U said this is a fast growing market, and they a made an even smarter decision because Univision allowed them to make more money by letting them expand into the Time Warner Cable (Now Spectrum) Charlotte market for more advertising market for there small Hispanic market.Ā 

Ā 

I know Rakeigh is a little behind but it's about long term investments in Charlotte no big 3 gonna get them I see FOX getting them again.

Ā 

Meh, Charlotte has surpassed the Raleigh-Durham-FayettevilleĀ DMA on viability.Ā ABC lucked up on WTVD, Univision got WUVC was a package deal with WUVG and the Miami station, and ZGS cashed out on all of its Telemundo stations to NBC Universal/Comcast.Ā 

Ā 

The reason why networks hadn't jumped on the Charlotte inĀ the past was because of the prominence of WSOC, WBTV, along with Belo-owning WCNC, Charlotte-based Bakahel holding on to WCCB tight as its flagship, and Raleigh-based Capitol Broadcasting WJZY and WMYT until Fox snatched them up.Ā  Charlotte was not seen as the big market because of its lack of positioning in as a large media market until the 2010s although it has a NFC football franchise based there since 1995.Ā  Fox is likely to do the do-si-do like it did with WFXT in Boston with WJZY because the Bakahel descendants doesn't want to let go of WCCB.Ā  The problem is Fox is going to have do another loopsided swap to get WJZY/WMYT back from Nexstar (which was very foolish on the Murdoch's part to allow in the first place).

Ā 

On a related note, Nexstar's cheap asses have already started. They haveĀ yanked WMYT off YoutubeTV and removed all of the on-air bugs from local and syndicated programming on both stations (WJZY and WMYT).Ā  This is Nexstar is a garbage and going to be a big problem for both stations.

4 hours ago, jero23 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA Hispanic population has only 10-11K population difference.Ā  Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville is 82K and Charlotte is 71K.Ā  Fayetteville is what edges that DMA out over Charlotte which is just its metro and the NC mountain counties.Ā  That really doesn't make Charlotte pretty small as both are under 100K.Ā  Also Charlotte DMA is growing faster than Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMAĀ overall.Ā 

Ā 

Meh, Charlotte has surpassed the Raleigh-Durham-FayettevilleĀ DMA on viability.Ā ABC lucked up on WTVD, Univision got WUVC was a package deal with WUVG and the Miami station, and ZGS cashed out on all of its Telemundo stations to NBC Universal/Comcast.Ā 

Ā 

The reason why networks hadn't jumped on the Charlotte inĀ the past was because of the prominence of WSOC, WBTV, along with Belo-owning WCNC, Charlotte-based Bakahel holding on to WCCB tight as its flagship, and Raleigh-based Capitol Broadcasting WJZY and WMYT until Fox snatched them up.Ā  Charlotte was not seen as the big market because of its lack of positioning in as a large media market until the 2010s although it has a NFC football franchise based there since 1995.Ā  Fox is likely to do the do-si-do like it did with WFXT in Boston with WJZY because the Bakahel descendants doesn't want to let go of WCCB.Ā  The problem is Fox is going to have do another loopsided swap to get WJZY/WMYT back from Nexstar (which was very foolish on the Murdoch's part to allow in the first place).

Ā 

On a related note, Nexstar's cheap asses have already started. They haveĀ yanked WMYT off YoutubeTV and removed all of the on-air bugs from local and syndicated programming on both stations (WJZY and WMYT).Ā  This is Nexstar is a garbage and going to be a big problem for both stations.

Itā€™s not just WMYT...I was reading on the Retransmission Consent Squabbles board that Nexstar does not have an agreement to carry My Network TV affiliates on YouTube TV. Which doesnā€™t make any sense. I wishĀ MNT wouldĀ pull affiliations for that, I meanĀ would people really notice if it went to WAXN? And then WMYT could go back on YouTubeTV.Ā I didnā€™t even notice about the on-air logo bug thing, thatā€™s also crazy. And have you noticed they have usually not showed the time much on the 10:00 news? AlsoĀ people were complaining on Twitter about WJZYĀ not airing the virtual NASCAR iRace last Sunday (though it was on FS1)Ā and even a rerun of Super Bowl LI, which even though it was a rerun was not a great decision by Nexstar considering it was such a big blown lead by the division rival Falcons. But I think they must have got enough complaints that they are airing bothĀ classic football and the virtual race on Sunday. I do like the close by Nexstar at the end ofĀ every newscast and IĀ also love thatĀ Nexstar does air the national anthem at 4am every day, but still some questionable decisions in their first month of ownership.

23 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

Nexstar does not have an agreement to carry My Network TV affiliates on YouTube TV. Which doesnā€™t make any sense. I wishĀ MNT wouldĀ pull affiliations for that

MyNetworkTV runs at 3am in a few markets and most of its affiliates run shows you can easily find on any cable channel, and MyNetworkTV is merely a Fox programming service, not a network with much, if any leverage. Outside of a few talk/court show fans, it's probably known between Fox, Nexstar and Google that carriage of these stations is a low priority overall and it's better to leave it out so that a Big Four/CW station can air instead.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived