Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/17/2020 at 12:22 PM, mre29 said:

Heck, they could make it without other groups.

Especially since Sinclair has single-handedly launched STIRR and made it into a mini-PlutoTV and will soon be adding select syndication on-demand for shows that air on their stations.

And it was Nexstar that pulled the plug on the NewsOn partnership that saw the Media General stations that were on it go away.

Hopefully as more shows are available with better digital rights, this will encourage Nexstar to take the plunge, especially when their next closest competitor is eating their lunch in this department.

Perry Sook talks about his views on the future of OTA and their "cautious" look at OTT...

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/243751/sook-sees-plenty-of-promise-for-ota-nexstar/

I still think Nexstar needs to ramp up their efforts to leverage their existing content that is already offered on their broadcast stations....cough cough....LIVE STREAMING!   And WGN America faces a disadvantage as more and more people are dropping cable services that carry that channel and because it is virtually invisible on the streaming services people have adopted.  These services transcend boundaries set by cable companies and give consumers better options against inferior or expensive pay tv services available to them.

Perhaps bundle WGN America (and Antenna TV) into a service launched by Nexstar that streams all of their local newscasts and digital efforts.   Charge a reasonable monthly fee that allows access to all of the above plus some premium, exclusive offerings.   This gives them an avenue to sell targeted advertising and a way to reach even more viewers who have moved on from cable TV...

1 hour ago, channel2 said:

I know Perry's speaking as a booster of broadcast, but can we talk about that "even the cable universe" bit?

You know cable TV's up shit creek now...

Both WGN 9 and WGN America could benefit from some love in the OTT world.  Even though WGN-TV has a Roku App, it is lacking like many of the other former Tribune stations that launched them...

Sinclair has many of their netlet stations (CW & MyNetwork) stations on YouTubeTV.  This is another area where Nexstar is lacking, and this includes WGN-TV as well.

(They even carry both WCIU channels, CW26 and "The U" as well as My50)

The payroll issues have been all too real for some people. In December, when we switched to Nexstar's version of Workday, the company thought I lived in California and worked in Colorado. Workday insisted Missouri did not exist when I tried to change it myself. Others were put in Illinois, Minnesota, Pennsylvania... just a mess. Some hourly employees didn't get holiday pay. The company corrected my withholdings in time. Then they forgot to deduct 401(K). Today I think it's finally right.

We've been handling it all internally, ticket after ticket, but then I read FTVLive this morning and damn, dude...

imageedit_5_8700942155.png

20 minutes ago, TheRob said:

The payroll issues have been all too real for some people. In December, when we switched to Nexstar's version of Workday, the company thought I lived in California and worked in Colorado. Workday insisted Missouri did not exist when I tried to change it myself. Others were put in Illinois, Minnesota, Pennsylvania... just a mess. Some hourly employees didn't get holiday pay. The company corrected my withholdings in time. Then they forgot to deduct 401(K). Today I think it's finally right.

We've been handling it all internally, ticket after ticket, but then I read FTVLive this morning and damn, dude...

imageedit_5_8700942155.png

😬 Yikes.

10 minutes ago, jero23 said:

Another reason why people better (and should) hope that swap between Charlotte and Seattle and Milwaukee stations should fall through. Nexstar has yet to figure things out on payroll 

WJZY/WMYT employees, that is

KOIN has announced that they are expanding their morning news program and will now add 7am-9am on their sister station acquired from Tribune, Portland's CW (KRCW). It's called AM Extra (KGW has an online morning show called "Sunrise Extra"), and will have slightly different hosts and apparently it will be a more lifestyle based show.

I think this is a win for WDCW and we'll most likely see a Washington-focused newscast sooner than later.  However, I am concerned about WDVM and I hope they are allowed to keep their operations and newscasts locally in Hagerstown.

30 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

I wonder where he is going to be based out of and how they will unite two disparate stations together.

They didn't specify in the article whether if he'll remain at Hagerstown or move to D.C. as soon as I get that information I will edit this post accordingly.

From the Nexstar press release

Mr. Wyatt’s prior experience, leadership skills, and record of success at WDVM-TV, make him uniquely qualified to create, develop and execute the long-term strategy for Nexstar’s media operations in the greater Washington, D.C. market.

This part right here is the most interesting part of this. I have to imagine that Nexstar is planning a D.C. based newscast at WDCW while maintaining a seperate Hagerstown-based news department at WDVM

12 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

They didn't specify in the article whether if he'll remain at Hagerstown or move to D.C. as soon as I get that information I will edit this post accordingly.

From the Nexstar press release

This part right here is the most interesting part of this. I have to imagine that Nexstar is planning a D.C. based newscast at WDCW while maintaining a seperate Hagerstown-based news department at WDVM

Honestly, I'm surprised WDCW didn't start simulcasting some of WDVM's newscasts, probably with an expanded focus on stories within the immediate D.C. metro area, within at least a month of the closure of the Tribune purchase.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:33 AM, T.L. Hughes said:

Honestly, I'm surprised WDCW didn't start simulcasting some of WDVM's newscasts, probably with an expanded focus on stories within the immediate D.C. metro area, within at least a month of the closure of the Tribune purchase.

Could Nexstar be planning to convert WDCW into a semi-satellite station for WDVM, or is that even allowed?

On 2/4/2020 at 10:33 AM, T.L. Hughes said:

Especially since WDVM has DC area-specific newscasts (I-270 News for the Montgomery County/Frederick corridor and NoVa News for the Northern Virginia area - although that newscast will cover a swath from Winchester down to Alexandria...). WDVM, though, appears to specifically not cover DC...

J

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

What are the odds Nexstar launches news at WDCW?

I think it's inevitable.  I'm surprised Nexstar hasn't already made an announcement of a DC based newscast, especially with the amount of expected political ad revenue in 2020.

17 minutes ago, DENDude said:

KDVR.com Launched the updated website today at 10:00AM.   KWGN.com now re-directs to a protected blog listed here:  https://localtvkdvr.wordpress.com/ 

It certainly is a cleaner look than they had before, however it is taking longer to load in the firefox browser. 

I thought they launched it yesterday or a few days ago.

3 hours ago, DENDude said:

KDVR.com Launched the updated website today at 10:00AM.   KWGN.com now re-directs to a protected blog listed here:  https://localtvkdvr.wordpress.com/ 

It certainly is a cleaner look than they had before, however it is taking longer to load in the firefox browser. 

Interesting... Is Nexstar planning to bring back a KWGN-specific website?

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived