Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

Probably not. Hope they don’t change it.

They shouldn't. The ex-Media General stations (WKBN, WIAT, WFLA, etc.) haven't changed domain names since Nexstar took over. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

IMHO, the MyFox domain names need to die, as they're an old relic from the Fox O&O/MySpace days.

Yup. Not as old as the The[CityName]Channel names used by a lot of sites that used to be hosted by Internet Broadcasting, but still old.

8 minutes ago, mre29 said:

Yup. Not as old as the The[CityName]Channel names used by a lot of sites that used to be hosted by Internet Broadcasting, but still old.

That was typical of the Hearst-Argyle and former McGraw-Hill stations back in the day, and yet WRTV still uses TheIndyChannel.com though to this very day.

10 hours ago, tjt24 said:

They shouldn't. The ex-Media General stations (WKBN, WIAT, WFLA, etc.) haven't changed domain names since Nexstar took over. 

Not only have none of the former MG stations changed their domain names, several legacy Nexstar stations (KLAS, KARK, WFXR, WCIA, KTSM, KGET) have reverted to more common domain names.

Also, in the not to distant future, the former Nexstar stations that Tegna took over will presumably revert to their pre-Nexstar names.

fox54.com, woitv.com, & abc24.com

• 2 weeks later...

So Nexstar is actually doing what Sinclair COULD have done with WGN America...

...and we're better off since they have many more stations to get content from and we all know how a Sinclair-run effort would have gone....

Now Nexstar just needs to catch up to the other guys in OTT efforts.   For all of the emphasis they put on digital, they are leaving behind all of the Roku and Fire stick users who have cut the cord.   Tribune had some efforts they launched, but they pale in comparison to others.   And let's not forget all of the places they don't even live stream their newscasts....

I'd like to see it, but as a YTTV/Philo customer, I'm left in the dark and damned if I'm going back to AT&T.   Hopefully they get on the ball and add themselves to YouTubeTV or other services especially if said services have no issue carrying the Nexstar local affiliates...

The Nexstar release says the cost to start the channel is neutral. The cost for the syndicated shows that are going away will go toward hiring 100+ staffers. If they were to hire Shep, the math wouldn't seem to work out .... unless they got him for a fire sale price. And with MSNBC reportedly interested, I doubt that. Variety says Shep made $15 million/year at Fox News Channel.

53 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Now Nexstar just needs to catch up to the other guys in OTT efforts. For all of the emphasis they put on digital, they are leaving behind all of the Roku and Fire stick users who have cut the cord.   Tribune had some efforts they launched, but they pale in comparison to others. And let's not forget all of the places they don't even live stream their newscasts...

WTRF in the Steubenville/Wheeling market is one of them. But then again, live streaming their newscasts is the least of their problems at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

WTRF in the Steubenville/Wheeling market is one of them. But then again, live streaming their newscasts is the least of their problems at the moment. 

Other than WOWK, Nexstar hasn't done much to the ex-WVMH stations. They're STILL on the KTLA look from long ago.

I hope Nexstar also plans on ensuring that WGNA is available in HD. I can only get it in SD here in southern NH (Xfinity).

That said, I like what they're thinking and I'll definitely check News Nation out when it premieres.

8 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

Other than WOWK, Nexstar hasn't done much to the ex-WVMH stations. They're STILL on the KTLA look from long ago.

Yeah WTRF's set dates back to at least the early 2000s with some minor tweaks when they switched to HD in 2011, and as you said, they still have the old KTLA look. Hopefully some well needed changes come soon...

Nexstar needs to reconsider its decision to pull out of NewsON. Gray has put their stations on, although it's been a bumpy road for them. Then again, as noted before Nexstar doesn't even live stream its newscasts on many statons.

1 hour ago, newsbot said:

Nexstar needs to reconsider its decision to pull out of NewsON. Gray has put their stations on, although it's been a bumpy road for them. Then again, as noted before Nexstar doesn't even live stream its newscasts on many statons.

Nexstar could probably make their own app in conjunction with a couple of other groups and do fine. As it is NewsON has seemingly capped how many stations per market can be on there and adding Nexstar back would be a headache waiting to happen.

1 hour ago, newsbot said:

Nexstar could probably make their own app in conjunction with a couple of other groups and do fine. As it is NewsON has seemingly capped how many stations per market can be on there and adding Nexstar back would be a headache waiting to happen.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived