Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

4 hours ago, jero23 said:

Uh kay, this post added no context to my response. I just mentioned stats and demo which matters in business decisions. You could have kept it. The poster above response provides better context . Thx but not thx

Name one normal place (not the super hot areas, which are boom and bust) where you would have lost money on a home. You can take Des Moines and practically every city larger than that and practically any state capital, and you can't really lose unless you live in that area's armpit. They have all grown and they are all relatively nice.

If you live in a city like Minneapolis, Madison, Kansas City, Cincinnati or Columbus, with a big university or one nearby, you can't lose. In Omaha you would have made money. Same thing with Sioux Falls. Same thing with Iowa City. Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville ditto. Ditto Birmingham and Grand Rapids. Pittsburgh had some rough years, but now it's booming. Fort Wayne looks like it's doing pretty well last time I drove through there. You're not going to lose in Northern Indianapolis either.

Maybe you think twice about investing in Appalachia. New Orleans is a dump. Downstate Illinois? Youngstown? I don't know and I say that because it has nice enough suburbs surrounding it.

My point being, so Charlotte's growing and maybe on its way to becoming another dump like Atlanta? So what? You couldn't pay me enough money to live there or in Austin, Texas right now. People got to live somewhere. Just because Charlotte aspires to sprawl doesn't mean everybody is going to abandon every other city to move to Charlotte.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Name one normal place (not the super hot areas, which are boom and bust) where you would have lost money on a home. You can take Des Moines and practically every city larger than that and practically any state capital, and you can't really lose unless you live in that area's armpit. They have all grown and they are all relatively nice.

If you live in a city like Minneapolis, Madison, Kansas City, Cincinnati or Columbus, with a big university or one nearby, you can't lose. In Omaha you would have made money. Same thing with Sioux Falls. Same thing with Iowa City. Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville ditto. Ditto Birmingham and Grand Rapids. Pittsburgh had some rough years, but now it's booming. Fort Wayne looks like it's doing pretty well last time I drove through there. You're not going to lose in Northern Indianapolis either.

Maybe you think twice about investing in Appalachia. New Orleans is a dump. Downstate Illinois? Youngstown? I don't know and I say that because it has nice enough suburbs surrounding it.

My point being, so Charlotte's growing and maybe on its way to becoming another dump like Atlanta? So what? You couldn't pay me enough money to live there or in Austin, Texas right now. People got to live somewhere. Just because Charlotte aspires to sprawl doesn't mean everybody is going to abandon every other city to move to Charlotte.

Those are your opinions yet not backed not a single stat.  I'm done with this conversation with you.  Ad hominem fallacies of Atlanta being a dump without proof nor stats.  The point is Charlotte is the 3rd fastest growing region in the nation and has been for nearly 2 years now per the US Census Bureau.  You have a good day, sir!

19 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I agree it's not the best move for Fox, but likely they needed to make concessions (such as divesting WJZY) in order to enter markets they wanted to get into.   

I watched WJZY's newscast the night it officially launched and the overall consensus by viewers' comments were sheer disappointment (including myself).  I thought their original trendy style newscast was...honestly...ridiculous.  Only in the last couple of years has Fox really put the resources into WJZY's newscast for it to even be possibly viable long-term.   Even now, WJZY is still not a newscast that is structured strong enough to compete well even with WCCB--which remains very successful despite losing its Fox affiliation, in large part is likely due its strong connections to the Charlotte community and its parent company being based literally in the same building as WCCB.

But I think Nexstar will be a big blessing for WJZY and if I were any of the other stations in CLT, I would be getting ready for fierce competition by WJZY.  Nexstar does something very well: promoting localism at their stations.  I think that will work very well at WJZY and I see them becoming very successful and competitive under Nexstar ownership.   No doubt it's a loss for Fox to lose WJZY but at least they get to be in Seattle, which for the foreseeable future will be big gains for them overall.

I agree on the weird structure of WJZY news operations.  It has changed or modified its on-air branding moniker at least 3 times since 2014 from "Fox 46 Carolinas" to "Fox 46 Charlotte" to "Fox 46 WJZY" to now "Fox 46 Charlotte, WJZY".  Nexstar, if the sale is approved, will likely shift to the "Fox 46 WJZY" name.  They have done much better in recent years with the regional Emmy for the UNC-Charlotte shooting coverage.  On the other hand, your assessment is right on as "Good Day Charlotte" is very anemic for a Fox O&O station in a major market (GDC ends at 9AM, no weekday midday newscast, nor a 11 PM newscast).  Overall, its newscast hours per week is I believe the lowest of the Fox O&Os.  However, I have a feeling this is Fox's way of getting a built up news operation that is doing better competitively so that can do another trade or swap in the future to come back.  I'll leave it at that not to tread into the speculation territory.

54 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

WJZY will be the truest test of Nexstar. If WJZY can surpass WCCB and even WCNC, then it will be a success story, IMO.

No question about WJZY & Nexstar for Charlotte. In New Orleans, on the other hand, the success story would be bigger for Nexstar if they can make WGNO into a success, and 26 somehow surpasses WDSU (and/or WWL, if Channel 4 continues to fall further than they are now).....

1 hour ago, J1975am said:

No question about WJZY & Nexstar for Charlotte. In New Orleans, on the other hand, the success story would be bigger for Nexstar if they can make WGNO into a success, and 26 somehow surpasses WDSU (and/or WWL, if Channel 4 continues to fall further than they are now).....

They've got a looooong way to go. The ratings differential there is like 10 to 1 between WGNO and the field. I believe WWL is now #3? 

20 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I agree it's not the best move for Fox, but likely they needed to make concessions (such as divesting WJZY) in order to enter markets they wanted to get into.   

I watched WJZY's newscast the night it officially launched and the overall consensus by viewers' comments were sheer disappointment (including myself).  I thought their original trendy style newscast was...honestly...ridiculous.  Only in the last couple of years has Fox really put the resources into WJZY's newscast for it to even be possibly viable long-term.   Even now, WJZY is still not a newscast that is structured strong enough to compete well even with WCCB--which remains very successful despite losing its Fox affiliation, in large part is likely due its strong connections to the Charlotte community and its parent company being based literally in the same building as WCCB.

But I think Nexstar will be a big blessing for WJZY and if I were any of the other stations in CLT, I would be getting ready for fierce competition by WJZY.  Nexstar does something very well: promoting localism at their stations.  I think that will work very well at WJZY and I see them becoming very successful and competitive under Nexstar ownership.   No doubt it's a loss for Fox to lose WJZY but at least they get to be in Seattle, which for the foreseeable future will be big gains for them overall.

They got a huge huddle to overcome.

Yes, their has been a shake up top in ratings in the past year, but both WSOC and WBTV have brand recognition in the community, with WCNC behind. (WCCB smartly only does a 10:00).

The only way WJZY will gain traction in the market? If the new owners at both WSOC and WBTV cut the on air talent.

Plus, the "All Local" marketing will not work, since WBTV has no non-local programming beyond their network affirmation.

1 hour ago, elfuego35 said:

Plus, the "All Local" marketing will not work, since WBTV has no non-local programming beyond their network affirmation.

Actually, they have no syndicated programming during the day, with the exception of "Funny You Should Ask" in overnights (this is according to TitanTV's schedule for WBTV). Other than CBS programming & "Funny You Should Ask", everything else during WBTV's broadcast day is locally produced (newscasts and talk/lifestyle shows)......

7 hours ago, J1975am said:

Actually, they have no syndicated programming during the day, with the exception of "Funny You Should Ask" in overnights (this is according to TitanTV's schedule for WBTV). Other than CBS programming & "Funny You Should Ask", everything else during WBTV's broadcast day is locally produced (newscasts and talk/lifestyle shows)......

He's right.

There's WBTV News This Morning (4:30-7:00 a.m.), Q.C. Morning (9:00-10:00 a.m.), WBTV News at Noon (12:00-12:30 p.m.), Q.C. at 3:00 (3:00-4:00 p.m.), WBTV News (4:00, 4:30, 5:00, 5:30, 6:00 and 7:00 p.m.), On Your Side TONIGHT (7:30-8:00 p.m.) and WBTV News at 11:00 (11:00-11:35 p.m.)

And that's all sandwiched by CBS programming in between.

15 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

WJZY will be the truest test of Nexstar. If WJZY can surpass WCCB and even WCNC, then it will be a success story, IMO.

I actually think surpassing WCNC is possible.  WCNC is not a particularly strong station, especially with the Tegna-ification.  But as for WCCB, they have a very sizable core audience that is loyal to them. 

If Nexstar can manage to get viewers from WSOC and especially WCNC, coupled with gaining viewers that are moving into the market, then I think WJZY is going to do very well.  I think it's certainly likely that WJZY can get their viewer counts up significantly.   Just my opinion, but I think WBTV is probably the safest, ratings-wise, from Nexstar buying WJZY.

Does the WSOC-produced 10pm newscast on WAXN still outrank the other 2 on WCCB and WJZY?

If Bahakel ever gets sold, especially to a company like Gray or Tegna, you can bet WCCB will be absorbed.  While it could be beneficial for WCNC, merging with WBTV would solidify their dominance in Charlotte since WSOC has been slipping....

And as always, Nexstar could get creative and decide to merge WCCB into the fold, although it may involve dumping a station...like WMYT.   But if they could pull off like what they did in Springfield, MO, it may fly (but having KOLR as the shell station helped that to happen)

On 12/4/2019 at 1:50 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

He's right.

There's WBTV News This Morning (4:30-7:00 a.m.), Q.C. Morning (9:00-10:00 a.m.), WBTV News at Noon (12:00-12:30 p.m.), Q.C. at 3:00 (3:00-4:00 p.m.), WBTV News (4:00, 4:30, 5:00, 5:30, 6:00 and 7:00 p.m.), On Your Side TONIGHT (7:30-8:00 p.m.) and WBTV News at 11:00 (11:00-11:35 p.m.)

And that's all sandwiched by CBS programming in between.

WOIO is in a similar boat. You have:
19 News This Morning (4:30-7a)

Cribbs in the CLE (9-9:30a)

Sunny Side up (9;30-10a)

19 News at Noon (12-12:30p)

19 News (4-6:30p)

19 News at 11 (11:1135p)

Outside of Family Feud at 3p, the Sony game shows at 7p, and an infomercial after Corden at 1:37a, most of Gray's syndicated inventory is either on the weekends or on WUAB.

Speaking of syndicated inventory, I'll give WJZY this: they do have a solid syndicated inventory, even if the news ratings suck. Nexstar could impove some of the numbers if some programs were moved to better timeslots.

17 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

WOIO is in a similar boat. You have:
19 News This Morning (4:30-7a)

Cribbs in the CLE (9-9:30a)

Sunny Side up (9;30-10a)

19 News at Noon (12-12:30p)

19 News (4-6:30p)

19 News at 11 (11:1135p)

Outside of Family Feud at 3p, the Sony game shows at 7p, and an infomercial after Corden at 1:37a, most of Gray's syndicated inventory is either on the weekends or on WUAB.

Speaking of syndicated inventory, I'll give WJZY this: they do have a solid syndicated inventory, even if the news ratings suck. Nexstar could impove some of the numbers if some programs were moved to better timeslots.

Yeah I thought it was odd that they moved Judge Mathis and People’s Court to 3 and 4. I’m not sure that a lot of Fox O&O’s even have them but they were Capitol holdovers. Seems like they should move Dr. Oz back to 4. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, LoadStar said:

I know the news reports said "first half of 2020," - any update on when they expect to close the sale?

3 minutes ago, Nelson R. said:

I thought it was first quarter of 2020...maybe I read it wrong?

The parties just filed the paperwork last month (11/20). So it's probably going to take some time until they get the greenlight from both the DOJ & FCC.

On 12/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, CircleSeven said:

The parties just filed the paperwork last month (11/20). So it's probably going to take some time until they get the greenlight from both the DOJ & FCC.

Not really looking forward to myfox46.com, although looking forward to new WJZY graphics and to see what else Nexstar might have up its sleeve with the station.

5 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Not really looking forward to myfox46.com, although looking forward to new WJZY graphics and to see what else Nexstar might have up its sleeve with the station.

If this were the Nexstar of old, you would've seen something like CarolinasHomepage.com, CharlottesHomepage.com, and the like. These days, they have mostly settled on giving their station websites more normal domain names than ridiculous ones.

IMHO, the MyFox domain names need to die, as they're an old relic from the Fox O&O/MySpace days.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived