Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

21 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

It basically just says that Nexstar’s CEO wants WPIX badly and they still have the option to 3/31/2020 - 12/31/2021 to buy back the station from Scripps.  If they unload some more stations to Fox they may have room for WPIX. 

Would unloading say the 2 California Fox affiliates (KTXL/KSWB) for the Orlando duopoly (WOFL/WRBW) give Nexstar the room they need to buy WPIX?

This leads to this question as well.

Could Gaineville's WOGX be included in the deal given that they're the semi-satellite of WOFL? If so then KTXL/KSWB for WOFL/WRBW and WOGX might be an unfaIr trade

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Would unloading say the 2 California Fox affiliates (KTXL/KSWB) for the Orlando duopoly (WOFL/WRBW) give Nexstar the room they need to buy WPIX?

This leads to this question as well.

Could Gaineville's WOGX be included in the deal given that they're the semi-satellite of WOFL? If so then KTXL/KSWB for WOFL/WRBW and WOGX might be an unfaIr trade

That wouldn't be nearly enough, since Orlando is about the same size as Sacramento and bigger than San Diego. They'd need to get rid of them for nothing, and even then still have to find quite a bit more. We're dealing with a RF VHF station in DMA 1 that uses nearly 7 points towards the cap.

6 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

That wouldn't be nearly enough, since Orlando is about the same size as Sacramento and bigger than San Diego. They'd need to get rid of them for nothing, and even then still have to find quite a bit more. We're dealing with a RF VHF station in DMA 1 that uses nearly 7 points towards the cap.

If that's the case then it'd be best for both Nexstar and Fox to amend the deal and include Orlando and by extension, Gainesville in the deal.

On 11/5/2019 at 4:48 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/240879/nexstar-fox-buy-sell-five-stations/

Semi-related, but a trade.

TO Fox: KCPQ/KZJO, WITI

TO Nexstar: WJZY/WMYT

I think the Seattle and Charlotte moves are excellent. In the Carolinas, only two markets - Columbia and Wilmington - are absent Nexstar, while they had no realistic path into Boise or the Inland Northwest which is key to joining Seattle up (their Portland properties could be worth selling too?). They should also consider dumping away their Montana stations which are dead weight. 

It also frees up room to make one more acquisition. Milwaukee is definitely a sacrifice, since Nexstar is presently in Green Bay and Eau Claire/La Crosse (although without a reasonable pathway into Madison).

Two days late to this party, did not learn about this til today. Makes sense for both parties, even though FTS gives up an NFC market WJZY was a colossal failure as an O&O. And now WJZY has a lot of surrounding sister stations, WSPA and WGHP the closest, WGHP a fellow Fox affiliate. Hope Nexstar can make some progress with this station.

17 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If a station is moving from UHF to VHF as a result of the spectrum auction, does that change a station's weight in terms of ownership limits?

If so, dumping KRON would be a good idea, that and WFLA and/or WJW would clear out a lot of cap space to get WPIX back.

If their CURRENT stations change, they would be grandfathered as the deal was legal on the date of the initial purchase, but the new weight is affected for new deals as of the date of consummation.

WFLA and WJW are very valuable for Nexstar though.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If a station is moving from UHF to VHF as a result of the spectrum auction, does that change a station's weight in terms of ownership limits?

If so, dumping KRON would be a good idea, that and WFLA and/or WJW would clear out a lot of cap space to get WPIX back.

Not to mention a KTXL/KSWB/WJW trade for WOFL-WOGX/WRBW would make it a lot more fairer than what it is with just KTXL/KSWB for WOFL-WOGX/WRBW

5 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

If their CURRENT stations change, they would be grandfathered as the deal was legal on the date of the initial purchase, but the new weight is affected for new deals as of the date of consummation.

WFLA and WJW are very valuable for Nexstar though.

The discount is actually based on a station's PSIP, so any-post repack change wouldn't affect its eligibility.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:09 AM, inanimatecarbonrod said:

Just thinking out loud here but what if Fox got KTXL/KSWB, the Orlando/Gainesville duop AND WPHL?  Would that make enough of a dent in the cap to get PIX?  It's still a UHF, yes, but in the number 4 market and FTS could just turn it into Fox29+.

That would be an unfair trade.

Although one could argue that Seattle/Milwaukee for Charlotte was an unfair trade too. And if that's doable it probably wouldn't be impossible for such deal although I don't think Nexstar is gonna leave Philly imho

47 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

That would be an unfair trade.

Although one could argue that Seattle/Milwaukee for Charlotte was an unfair trade too. And if that's doable it probably wouldn't be impossible for such deal although I don't think Nexstar is gonna leave Philly imho

Nexstar got $305M in the trade too and a bit of space for potential other deals, even if not related to Fox or WPIX.

15 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Nexstar got $305M in the trade too and a bit of space for potential other deals, even if not related to Fox or WPIX.

Very true although I highly doubt the Seattle/Milwaukee for Charlotte trade was the last time we hear from both Nexstar and Fox on that issue. I think both companies have an additional deal lined up in the cards not related to the deal. I shared more about that on Speculatron

On 11/7/2019 at 6:43 PM, Nelson R. said:

Two days late to this party, did not learn about this til today. Makes sense for both parties, even though FTS gives up an NFC market WJZY was a colossal failure as an O&O. And now WJZY has a lot of surrounding sister stations, WSPA and WGHP the closest, WGHP a fellow Fox affiliate. Hope Nexstar can make some progress with this station.

I wouldn't neccesate that WJZY is a failure.  It's very difficult to construct a news operation from the ground up in this social media-dominant era. The fact that WJZY has a decent share of viewers for their newscasts is miraculous at best. However, I can bet Fox will regret divesting from the one of top 3 fastest growing metro (and market) areas in the nation.  Charlotte with its explosive growth is likely to be a top 15 market area in the next decade or so. That's very bad for future growth of a company that wants to thrive not survive. 

49 minutes ago, jero23 said:

I wouldn't neccesate that WJZY is a failure.  It's very difficult to construct a news operation from the ground up in this social media-dominant era. The fact that WJZY has a decent share of viewers for their newscasts is miraculous at best. However, I can bet Fox will regret divesting from the one of top 3 fastest growing metro (and market) area in the nation.  Charlotte with its explosive growth is likely to a top 15 market area in the next decade or so. That's very bad for future growth of a company that wants to thrive not survive. 

I mean, I hope they are itching to get back into the Denver market. I really don't want a Nexstar station in my market. Read that Parry and team? K? K.

But Nexstar wants to turn Denver into master control. https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/11/7/denver-station-to-become-nexstar-hub

8 hours ago, jero23 said:

I wouldn't neccesate that WJZY is a failure.  It's very difficult to construct a news operation from the ground up in this social media-dominant era. The fact that WJZY has a decent share of viewers for their newscasts is miraculous at best. However, I can bet Fox will regret divesting from the one of top 3 fastest growing metro (and market) areas in the nation.  Charlotte with its explosive growth is likely to be a top 15 market area in the next decade or so. That's very bad for future growth of a company that wants to thrive not survive. 

I think it may have been more of a Panthers for Seahawks and Packers trade. The Seahawks and Packers, honestly, move the needle more than we do.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:35 AM, Nelson R. said:

I think it may have been more of a Panthers for Seahawks and Packers trade. The Seahawks and Packers, honestly, move the needle more than we do.

I get it.  However, if it has come to needles being moved by NFC teams advertising revenue potential then Fox will trading stations every few years based on that flawed logic.  You should never bank on getting your hands on a lone West Coast market when the Sunbelt is more robust and has higher potential long term.  That's like ditching Dallas-Fort Worth because the San Francisco Bay Area is more appealing for short term revenue potential because of the NFC teams.  In reality, Dallas-Fort Worth (like Charlotte) will be surpassing San Francisco (like Seattle) in simple market rankings in the very near future.

A little late to the party here, but regarding the opening of an master control hub in Denver. Through the Tribune acquisition they have actually lost two stations that were master control hubs: WATN in Memphis and WISH in Indianapolis. To make up for that and to possibly consolidate their other hubs, building one from the ground up in Denver doesn't sound so cooky. WXIN is a Tribune hub, too, so I guess they could transition the WISH hub there, but who knows.

8 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

So.. Seattle, Milwaukee and Charlotte are about to become Fox O&O's beginning in first quarter 2020 according to this article from TV SPY.

Article here: https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/fox-acquires-stations-in-seattle-and-charlotte-from-nexstar/217652/  

Umm... you probably didn't read this correctly.

Nexstar is trading KCPQ/KZJO and WITI to FOX so FOX can give WJZY/WMYT to Nexstar. Charlotte won't have a FOX O&O in 2020.

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly a month later, I'm still scratching my head on the logic of this obviously bad deal of WJZY/WMYT for KCPQ/KZJO and WITI. I'm relocating to Charlotte in a few weeks for my career.  My research of demographics and socioeconomic stats of the Charlotte metro to Seattle-Tacoma area alone for my upcoming home purchase shows that is a bad deal. Seattle has basically peaked at its rapid growth (economically and population-wise) while Charlotte has just begin its explosive growth period. As a matter of fact, Charlotte is likely a market that the other networks (except ABC/Disney of course) might be looking hard at getting into because of its sheer potential (rapid growth in fin-tech and tech, several Fortune 500 HQ's relocation/expansions, being considered a developing "East Coast" market like Atlanta, and technically a major Sunbelt business and transport hub because of its airport also like Atlanta).

3 hours ago, jero23 said:

Nearly a month later, I'm still scratching my head on the logic of this obviously bad deal of WJZY/WMYT for KCPQ/KZJO and WITI. I'm relocating to Charlotte in a few weeks for my career.  My research of demographics and socioeconomic stats of the Charlotte metro to Seattle-Tacoma area alone for my upcoming home purchase shows that is a bad deal. Seattle has basically peaked at its rapid growth (economically and population-wise) while Charlotte has just begin its explosive growth period. As a matter of fact, Charlotte is likely a market that the other networks (except ABC/Disney of course) might be looking hard at getting into because of its sheer potential (rapid growth in fin-tech and tech, several Fortune 500 HQ's relocation/expansions, being considered a developing "East Coast" market like Atlanta, and technically a major Sunbelt business and transport hub because of its airport also like Atlanta).

One word: Seahawks.

That and the fact WJZY has been in the ratings basement since its inception. The former Fox affiliate still beats them in the ratings. KCPQ far better performs in the Seattle market in comparison which is why it's more valuable in the eyes of Fox.

Fox's decision isn't as much of an indictment on the Charlotte market moreso than a tacit admission that taking the affiliation from WCCB was a mistake. It's also what kept Fox from trying the same thing in Seattle which is why they just waited for KCPQ to go on sale instead.

3 hours ago, jero23 said:

Meh. Sounds like the type of post you would see on City-Data. First of all, why would anybody want to be in a fast-growing metro area? Who wants to be in the next Atlanta (if Charlotte ever gets there)? Not me. Second, unless you are in an overlooked second-tier city (like Fort Wayne or Youngstown), which are perfectly nice for what they are, home value means nothing. If you are in one of the better areas in any major city, you'll do okay when you sell. If you live in an armpit, you won't make money anywhere. Bottom line: If you can't afford top of the line, move to a place popular with college grads, teachers and people like that and you'll do just fine with your home.

32 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Meh. Sounds like the type of post you would see on City-Data. First of all, why would anybody want to be in a fast-growing metro area? Who wants to be in the next Atlanta (if Charlotte ever gets there)? Not me. Second, unless you are in an overlooked second-tier city (like Fort Wayne or Youngstown), which are perfectly nice for what they are, home value means nothing. If you are in one of the better areas in any major city, you'll do okay when you sell. If you live in an armpit, you won't make money anywhere. Bottom line: If you can't afford top of the line, move to a place popular with college grads, teachers and people like that and you'll do just fine with your home.

Uh kay, this post added no context to my response. I just mentioned stats and demo which matters in business decisions. You could have kept it. The poster above response provides better context . Thx but not thx

5 hours ago, jero23 said:

I agree it's not the best move for Fox, but likely they needed to make concessions (such as divesting WJZY) in order to enter markets they wanted to get into.   

I watched WJZY's newscast the night it officially launched and the overall consensus by viewers' comments were sheer disappointment (including myself).  I thought their original trendy style newscast was...honestly...ridiculous.  Only in the last couple of years has Fox really put the resources into WJZY's newscast for it to even be possibly viable long-term.   Even now, WJZY is still not a newscast that is structured strong enough to compete well even with WCCB--which remains very successful despite losing its Fox affiliation, in large part is likely due its strong connections to the Charlotte community and its parent company being based literally in the same building as WCCB.

But I think Nexstar will be a big blessing for WJZY and if I were any of the other stations in CLT, I would be getting ready for fierce competition by WJZY.  Nexstar does something very well: promoting localism at their stations.  I think that will work very well at WJZY and I see them becoming very successful and competitive under Nexstar ownership.   No doubt it's a loss for Fox to lose WJZY but at least they get to be in Seattle, which for the foreseeable future will be big gains for them overall.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived