Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

Just now, justin2kx said:

Beat me it to I had to clear editor, but yes, dreams of a northwest FOX affiliate, let alone NFC based, is coming true. Meanwhile, in brew city, it's a homecoming for TV 6 since 2007.

Interesting that KDVR/KWGN aren't on the table and Denver has boomed! But I'm sure that part of the issue was whether to sell the duop and risk Fox owning a CW affiliate long-term or trying to unravel the duop entirely which is impossible at this point because all departments are completely integrated.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/240879/nexstar-fox-buy-sell-five-stations/

Semi-related, but a trade.

TO Fox: KCPQ/KZJO, WITI

TO Nexstar: WJZY/WMYT

I think the Seattle and Charlotte moves are excellent. In the Carolinas, only two markets - Columbia and Wilmington - are absent Nexstar, while they had no realistic path into Boise or the Inland Northwest which is key to joining Seattle up (their Portland properties could be worth selling too?). They should also consider dumping away their Montana stations which are dead weight. 

It also frees up room to make one more acquisition. Milwaukee is definitely a sacrifice, since Nexstar is presently in Green Bay and Eau Claire/La Crosse (although without a reasonable pathway into Madison).

To Fox: Seahawks & Packers

To Nexstar: Panthers

I wonder whether this can get approval before February 2, Super Bowl Sunday, as the Seahawks & Packers are more contenders then the Panthers.

This deal would leave the Panthers & Saints as the only NFC markets to not have a Fox O&O outlet.

7 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Interesting that KDVR/KWGN aren't on the table and Denver has boomed! But I'm sure that part of the issue was whether to sell the duop and risk Fox owning a CW affiliate long-term or trying to unravel the duop entirely which is impossible at this point because all departments are completely integrated.

That's probably because it is too important to Nexstar. They are in most of the surrounding markets too.

6 minutes ago, TheRob said:

I can tell you they're very happy in Seattle and Milwaukee... I don't know about Charlotte.

Simply put, the Fox O&O experiment in Charlotte is coming to an end after almost seven years and having to build a news department from the ground up. There will be some cost cutting afterwards, but Fox probably would've liked to have unloaded KTBC as well if it weren't for the fact Nexstar already owned KXAN in the Austin market.

14 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

Simply put, the Fox O&O experiment in Charlotte is coming to an end after almost seven years and having to build a news department from the ground up. There will be some cost cutting afterwards, but Fox probably would've liked to have unloaded KTBC as well if it weren't for the fact Nexstar already owned KXAN in the Austin market.

Uncle Perry could've dumped KXAN to get KTBC, I think the reason why he didn't do that is because if you look at the Carolinas regionally, WGHP as a Fox affiliate (before today's announcement) was surrounded with nothing but CBS affiliates in places like Raleigh-Durham and Greenville-Spartanburg.

So a deal like this to acquire WJZY not only closed the gap Nextar had in North Carolina but it netted Nexstar a balanced cluster in the major markets in the Carolinas with WSPA and WNCN being the 2 CBS affiliates and WGHP with now WJZY being the 2 Fox affiliates

Overall, I think it was a win-win for both Fox and Nexstar, Fox got what they wanted and Nexstar was able to give in return, WGHP a North Carolina sister station that matches their affiliation.

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Well they got what they wanted in KCPQ. Kinda surprised that they got WITI. I thought they would try and maybe get WJW and/or KDVR to expand their presence in football markets as that is what they wanted to do, right?

Also surprised they traded away a station in an NFC market. Is WJZY a station that isn't doing well in the ratings? 

2 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

Well they got what they wanted in KCPQ. Kinda surprised that they got WITI. I thought they would try and maybe get WJW and/or KDVR to expand their presence in football markets as that is what they wanted to do, right?

Also surprised they traded away a station in an NFC market.

The Green Bay Packers are effectively Milwaukee's NFC team. Also, don't forget about Fox's tie in with the Big Ten. The Wisconsin Badgers also make the cash register ring.

3 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

Also surprised they traded away a station in an NFC market. Is WJZY a station that isn't doing well in the ratings? 

Those stations/markets are too valuable for Nexstar.

33 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Uncle Perry could've dumped KXAN to get KTBC, I think the reason why he didn't do that is because if you look at the Carolinas regionally, WGHP as a Fox affiliate (before today's announcement) was surrounded with nothing but CBS affiliates in places like Raleigh-Durham and Greenville-Spartanburg.

So a deal like this to acquire WJZY not only closed the gap Nextar had in North Carolina but it netted Nexstar a balanced cluster in the major markets in the Carolinas with WSPA and WNCN being the 2 CBS affiliates and WGHP with now WJZY being the 2 Fox affiliates

Overall, I think it was a win-win for both Fox and Nexstar, Fox got what they wanted and Nexstar was able to give in return, WGHP a North Carolina sister station that matches their affiliation.

The only Carolina markets that won't have a Nexstar presence are Columbia, SC and Wilmington, NC.

Just now, GoldenShine9 said:

Those stations/markets are too valuable for Nexstar.

WJW should be with Fox. Even though the Cleveland Browns are an AFC team, Ohio State football gets big ratings in Cleveland and Fox has the Big Ten contract. Perhaps that's why they keep a station in Austin. Fox is also tied to the Big 12.

2 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

The only Carolina markets that won't have a Nexstar presence are Columbia, SC and Wilmington, NC.

I am aware of that I was specifically mentioning larger markets within the Carolinas that are above #100

20 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

The Green Bay Packers are effectively Milwaukee's NFC team. Also, don't forget about Fox's tie in with the Big Ten. The Wisconsin Badgers also make the cash register ring.

Yeah I didn't even think of that. That is a very good point. 

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/240879/nexstar-fox-buy-sell-five-stations/

Semi-related, but a trade.

TO Fox: KCPQ/KZJO, WITI

TO Nexstar: WJZY/WMYT

I think the Seattle and Charlotte moves are excellent. In the Carolinas, only two markets - Columbia and Wilmington - are absent Nexstar, while they had no realistic path into Boise or the Inland Northwest which is key to joining Seattle up (their Portland properties could be worth selling too?). They should also consider dumping away their Montana stations which are dead weight. 

It also frees up room to make one more acquisition. Milwaukee is definitely a sacrifice, since Nexstar is presently in Green Bay and Eau Claire/La Crosse (although without a reasonable pathway into Madison).

Well this is gonna be interesting.

30 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

WJW should be with Fox. Even though the Cleveland Browns are an AFC team, Ohio State football gets big ratings in Cleveland and Fox has the Big Ten contract. Perhaps that's why they keep a station in Austin. Fox is also tied to the Big 12.

CFB doesn't make as much money as the NFL.

11 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Tell that to the Wolfe family. If you remember, they sold their radio stations for $35 million dollars. Before that, a comparably rated station went for $10 million. Big Ten college football makes good coin for stations. If you have Ohio State or Alabama, or even that A-/B+ tier of teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State, I would rather have that fan base than an NFL fan base.

5 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

It's getting pretty close, especially considering A) The players aren't paid, B) More people watch the Iron Bowl than the Super Bowl in markets like Birmingham.

1 minute ago, TSSZNews said:

It's getting pretty close, especially considering A) The players aren't paid, B) More people watch the Iron Bowl than the Super Bowl in markets like Birmingham.

Ohio State football kills it in Columbus, Cleveland and Dayton for big games and bowl games. It also does pretty well in Toledo, Cincinnati and Huntington-Charleston. Rutgers may not do well, but if you are a big university and you win consistently, the stations that have those games make big money.

The WJZY/WMYT move to Nexstar is unsurprising to me.

FOX initially wanted an O&O in a booming NFC market like Carolina, well it took one journey to get to the Super Bowl to spook Cam Newton and make the Carolina Panthers not as good of a team as previously hoped... not to mention the team’s internal struggles.

Then you had all the money FOX poured into WJZY to build out a news department in a market LARGELY dominated by WBTV and WSOC. They brought in top-rated talent and took an alternative approach that flatlined.

They spent the next few years trying to claw their way out of the ratings basement, even getting beat in competiting time slots with the former FOX station WCCB. In a five station market (which should only be at most three or four) WJZY was and has been almost consistently fifth place. Unsurprisingly, WCNC (TEGNA) and WCCB (Bahakel) have always been distant third and fourth respectively, so surely FOX couldn’t have thought their chances were stellar.

What’s worse is that FOX had so many issues from the start (like a failed move to larger facilities, cost-cutting moves, management and talent turnover, equipment problems) and made so many mistakes in the WJZY launch that they ultimately never got a return on that investment.

Dumping WJZY/WMYT for WITI and KCPQ/KZJO is the best case scenario, they just got better run, better rated properties for next to nothing when compared with the dumpster fire they just unloaded onto Nexstar. It will take a miracle for Nexstar to turn around WJZY/WMYT and even then it’s less likely they will be able to. Coupled with the fact Seattle is a WAY bigger and better NFC market than Charlotte.

WJZY/WMYT should be grouped in with Nexstar properties such as WGNO, do not resuscitate, and sold off to whatever bottom feeding company will take them.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived