Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

21 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Oh yes, I remember "EyeOpener."  It was such a success that the Dallas station would later copy the approach for its primetime newscast called "NightCap."  That one flopped.  Did that become "NewsFix?"

Yep.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Could WJW end up adding an 11pm newscast under Nexstar ownership, especially with the political dollars coming in?

It's long overdue, and with a certain other station getting out of the "news" game, should be an easy win.   What's another half hour of news anyway at this point?

On 9/24/2019 at 4:11 PM, CLETVFan said:

Could WJW end up adding an 11pm newscast under Nexstar ownership, especially with the political dollars coming in?

They already rerun the 10pm news at 1am and 3am and have seen their program inventory shrink quite a lot under Tribune. Already they have the most newscasts per week of any commercial station in North America. Let that sink in.

Unless they drop the 7pm news or shrink the noon news by half an hour, they honestly don't need to do it. I would rather they not anyway.

On 9/23/2019 at 3:35 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

I hated their previous sounder. It was too jarring!

WGN Radio will either go to i<3 or to Cumulus. I don't think the FCC would look favorably on Entercom controlling WBBM and WGN.

Cumulus wants to leave Chicago, but there are no takers for a dud in WLS 890, and iHeart, Entercom, Hubbard and EMF are at or near cap space with FMs. So forget about them.

iHeart is not going to be stupid to buy WGN 720; unlike WOR, there's no threat of losing their conservatalk shows elsewhere, and there's nothing to trade with.

There's little ROI for Hubbard; WGN is labor-intensive and their audience is aging dramatically.

Nexstar is essentially stuck with 720 whether they like it or not.

23 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

They already rerun the 10pm news at 1am and 3am and have seen their program inventory shrink quite a lot under Tribune. Already they have the most newscasts per week of any commercial station in North America. Let that sink in.

Unless they drop the 7pm news or shrink the noon news by half an hour, they honestly don't need to do it. I would rather they not anyway.

Exactly! Their 10pm news is I'm assuming the top rated 10pm newscast in the market, so why add 11pm news? There's no real need for it because as you said, they already produce more local news than any other station in the country.

25 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

Cumulus wants to leave Chicago, but there are no takers for a dud in WLS 890, and iHeart, Entercom, Hubbard and EMF are at or near cap space with FMs. So forget about them.

iHeart is not going to be stupid to buy WGN 720; unlike WOR, there's no threat of losing their conservatalk shows elsewhere, and there's nothing to trade with.

There's little ROI for Hubbard; WGN is labor-intensive and their audience is aging dramatically.

Nexstar is essentially stuck with 720 whether they like it or not.

Will be killed then in a few years.

3 hours ago, tjt24 said:

Exactly! Their 10pm news is I'm assuming the top rated 10pm newscast in the market, so why add 11pm news? There's no real need for it because as you said, they already produce more local news than any other station in the country.

Well...KTLA and WGN both produce 12.5 hours of newscasts per weekday. Looks like WJW produces 11.5 hours, if you do count New Day Cleveland as news, then 12.5 hours. But KTLA produces 8.5/9.5 hours on Sat/Sun, more than WGN and WJW. As of now, KTLA holds the distinction of producing more local news than any other station in the country with 80.5 hours per week.

21 minutes ago, fan of la tv said:

Well...KTLA and WGN both produce 12.5 hours of newscasts per weekday. Looks like WJW produces 11.5 hours, if you do count New Day Cleveland as news, then 12.5 hours. But KTLA produces 8.5/9.5 hours on Sat/Sun, more than WGN and WJW. As of now, KTLA holds the distinction of producing more local news than any other station in the country with 80.5 hours per week.

81.5 hrs actually. 12.5 hrs/weekday, 9 on Sat. and 10 on Sun. for KTLA (yes, KTLA Sports Final on weekends at 11:35 p.m. counts).

7 hours ago, fan of la tv said:

I counted the weeknight replays of WJW's 10pm news at 1am and 3am (my god, whyyyyyy???) which totals up to 78 hours a week. Add New Day and it's at 83 hours a week.

On 9/29/2019 at 8:55 PM, Myron Falwell said:

I was thinking more along the lines of shinking the Noon news to a half-hour, or perhaps moving it to a half-hour midday version at 11:30am.

The Nexstar executives visited my station pretty quickly after the sale. Alford arrived four days after the sale closed and spent a day here. This week one of the content VPs spent two days here. I don't have much to take away other than the company will eventually hire a reporter to provide coverage from the capitol in Jefferson City.

2 hours ago, TheRob said:

The Nexstar executives visited my station pretty quickly after the sale. Alford arrived four days after the sale closed and spent a day here. This week one of the content VPs spent two days here. I don't have much to take away other than the company will eventually hire a reporter to provide coverage from the capitol in Jefferson City.

Do they (Nexstar) plan on establishing one for Topeka too? 

On 9/29/2019 at 5:55 PM, Myron Falwell said:

Do they have a 4am newscast? If they don't, why not add it? Oh and add a 3:30am newscast and become the first station in the US to do that. Maybe on weekdays they could end up have 9 straight hours of news only, from 3am to noon. They never stop adding on news, don't they? (or maybe not, with Nexstar's cheapness; as I typed what was before these sentences in parentheses, I forgot that WJW is no longer owned by Tribune)

WJW already has a 4am newscast, meaning they start their morning news from 4am, and it goes until 10am.  That alone is six hours.  Add in the 3am repeat of the 10pm newscast, and that would be seven hours.

Speaking of WJW, they now have the Nexstar closing on their non-news shows too, including The Rizzo Show and The Big Chuck and Lil' John Show.

BC and LJ used to have a special closing with "is that all there is?"  Not anymore.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:39 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

81.5 hrs actually. 12.5 hrs/weekday, 9 on Sat. and 10 on Sun. for KTLA (yes, KTLA Sports Final on weekends at 11:35 p.m. counts).

KTLA also produces 5 Live!, a 12 noon to 1 pm and 2 pm to 3 pm weekday internet only newscasts. Facebook.com/KTLA5Live

On 10/7/2019 at 2:32 PM, CLETVFan said:

WJW already has a 4am newscast, meaning they start their morning news from 4am, and it goes until 10am.  That alone is six hours.  Add in the 3am repeat of the 10pm newscast, and that would be seven hours.

Speaking of WJW, they now have the Nexstar closing on their non-news shows too, including The Rizzo Show and The Big Chuck and Lil' John Show.

BC and LJ used to have a special closing with "is that all there is?"  Not anymore.

Doesn't WJW already do the Nexstar Closing ID at the end of every newscast?

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, memnews said:

Update on WJKT... all newscasts have been removed from their schedule. It would seem WREG isn't going to provide newscasts after all. (Either that, or they'll take a while to get some set up...)

Could Nexstar perhaps develop a full-scale Jackson, TN based news department for WJKT? Given Nexstar's track record of developing full scale news departments (i.e. WZDX, WFXR) it wouldn't be impossible to see WJKT develop one for themselves as well

• 2 weeks later...

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/240879/nexstar-fox-buy-sell-five-stations/

Semi-related, but a trade.

TO Fox: KCPQ/KZJO, WITI

TO Nexstar: WJZY/WMYT

I think the Seattle and Charlotte moves are excellent. In the Carolinas, only two markets - Columbia and Wilmington - are absent Nexstar, while they had no realistic path into Boise or the Inland Northwest which is key to joining Seattle up (their Portland properties could be worth selling too?). They should also consider dumping away their Montana stations which are dead weight. 

It also frees up room to make one more acquisition. Milwaukee is definitely a sacrifice, since Nexstar is presently in Green Bay and Eau Claire/La Crosse (although without a reasonable pathway into Madison).

11 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/240879/nexstar-fox-buy-sell-five-stations/

Semi-related, but a trade

TO Fox: KCPQ/KZJO, WITI

TO Nexstar: WJZY/WMYT

I think the Seattle and Charlotte moves are excellent. In the Carolinas, only two markets - Columbia and Wilmington - are absent Nexstar, while they had no realistic path into Boise or the Inland Northwest which is key to joining Seattle up (their Portland properties could be worth selling too?). It also frees up room to make one more acquisition (Morris makes good sense). Milwaukee is definitely a sacrifice, since Nexstar is presently in Green Bay and Eau Claire/La Crosse (although without a reasonable pathway into Madison).

Beat me it to I had to clear editor, but yes, dreams of a northwest FOX affiliate, let alone NFC based, is coming true. Meanwhile, in brew city, it's a homecoming for TV 6, also NFC based, since 2007.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived