Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

I can assure you WNEP isn't getting rid of Talkback 16 under TEGNA. KXTV had a similar segment called "Tell10".

Tegna is gonna try to do that though. Did Tegna can the Tell10 segment too?

23 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

WFAA used to have "Let Me Speak to the Manager" before the TEGNA takeover, of course.

That should tell you that not even a station that has (or used to have) journalistic integrity standard as WFAA's is/was couldn't survive the wrath of Tegna.

Caught the legal ID/promo for KHOU's "HTownRush" this evening in yet another sign of the millennial apocalypse about to overtake WNEP. If the formula holds, there will be much bad dancing and flailing of arms. Tribune seemed to be able to pull off irreverence without sacrificing dignity. Tegna, not so much...

khou-2019-sep22-htownrush.jpg

1 hour ago, newsbot said:

Tribune seemed to be able to pull off irreverence without sacrificing dignity. Tegna, not so much...

"NewsFix" and "EyeOpener", along with "News with a Twist" and a number of other "non-traditional" newscasts across their properties beg to differ. All lasting long after (NewsFix lasted 7 years, and News with a Twist is still ongoing) the tenure terror of Lee Abrams ended.

Tribune was a leader when it came to sins against local television. NewsFix and EyeOpener probably provided Tegna a very clear roadmap of how not to build the "#HTownRush" format. I would imagine the failure of some of these formats has contributed immensely to the rise of "non-traditional" news in other groups. Tegna and others were able to look at someone else doing it and figure out what was working and what wasn't. Tribune was one to throw shit at the wall and look to see what stuck. Tegna and the rest have a much more formulaic approach and seem to take time crafting their nontraditional formats to the markets they serve.

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

"NewsFix" and "EyeOpener", along with "News with a Twist" and a number of other "non-traditional" newscasts across their properties beg to differ. All lasting long after (NewsFix lasted 7 years, and News with a Twist is still ongoing) the tenure terror of Lee Abrams ended.

Tribune was a leader when it came to sins against local television. NewsFix and EyeOpener probably provided Tegna a very clear roadmap of how not to build the "#HTownRush" format. I would imagine the failure of some of these formats has contributed immensely to the rise of "non-traditional" news in other groups. Tegna and others were able to look at someone else doing it and figure out what was working and what wasn't. Tribune was one to throw shit at the wall and look to see what stuck. Tegna and the rest have a much more formulaic approach and seem to take time crafting their nontraditional formats to the markets they serve.

Just like the other groups will likely take a look at Tegna's graphics package and C Clarity, implement the best parts of the graphics package and the music package and improve on the weaker areas of that said packages.

It's how the media industry in general works.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, Mrtraveler01 said:

Here is the close on KTVI. I imagine it's the same on KPLR.

Interesting to note: Instead of listing various cities in the background of the close, KTVI/KPLR has decided to list the various counties in the viewing area. 

That is what they do with the closing with Wood TV Newscast shows the counties and not the city.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:05 PM, broadcastfan9751 said:

A Chicago Tribune article says that Nexstar intends to "operate the heck out of" WGN America and they plan to use their stations to promote WGN America programming, but if they got an offer they couldn't refuse, they could consider selling it. I haven't seen anything about Antenna TV, but things probably will stay the same there.

I talked about this on the other thread on Friday. I strongly don't think that Nexstar will keep WGN America (also Antenna TV & WGN Radio) in the long-haul. Sook has long said that he isn't interested in anything national. That was why Sook kept Compton on to run those aforementioned assets, including AM 720 (even though that's a local asset, but Sook treats it as a "non-core" asset like WGNA) Yeah they'll operate them agressively, the same way they operate their "core" TV stations. But in the future, someone will give them an offer, and those assets will be off of Nexstar's hare in a flash.

On 9/20/2019 at 7:09 PM, Mrtraveler01 said:

Interesting to note: Instead of listing various cities in the background of the close, KTVI/KPLR has decided to list the various counties in the viewing area. 

You know I didn't even realized the names behind the logo until you mentioned it. I thought those were the names of all the cities that Nexstar owns a TV station (like their previous ID), and not the names of citites in that viewing area. Relooking at WGN's, on the left side, the names are the suburbs (Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Hammond, IN, etc.). And on the right side, are the names of the city's neighborhoods (Hyde Park, South Shore, Portage Park, Humboldt Park, etc.) I wished they would've kept their old sounder, though.

6 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I talked about this on the other thread on Friday. I strongly don't think that Nexstar will keep WGN America (also Antenna TV & WGN Radio) in the long-haul. Sook has long said that he isn't interested in anything national. That was why Sook kept Compton on to run those aforementioned assets, including AM 720 (even though that's a local asset, but Sook treats it as a "non-core" asset like WGNA) Yeah they'll operate them agressively, the same way they operate their "core" TV stations. But in the future, someone will give them an offer, and those assets will be off of Nexstar's hare in a flash.

You know I didn't even realized the names behind the logo until you mentioned it. I thought those were the names of all the cities that Nexstar owns a TV station (like their previous ID), and not the names of citites in that viewing area. Relooking at WGN's, on the left side, the names are the suburbs (Evanston, Palatine, Schaumburg, Hammond, IN, etc.). And on the right side, are the names of the city's neighborhoods (Hyde Park, South Shore, Portage Park, Humboldt Park, etc.) I wished they would've kept their old sounder, though.

I hated their previous sounder. It was too jarring!

WGN Radio will either go to i<3 or to Cumulus. I don't think the FCC would look favorably on Entercom controlling WBBM and WGN.

15 hours ago, Weeters said:

Oh yes, I remember "EyeOpener."  It was such a success that the Dallas station would later copy the approach for its primetime newscast called "NightCap."  That one flopped.  Did that become "NewsFix?"

First time I've seen WJW since Nexstar took over.  It's literally the first time since FOX owned them that you knew who owned them by seeing their copyright.  Local TV and Tribune may as well not have existed in Cleveland.

Other than that, it's status quo....for now.  Nexstar wouldn't dare mess with WJW.....would they?

25 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

First time I've seen WJW since Nexstar took over.  It's literally the first time since FOX owned them that you knew who owned them by seeing their copyright.  Local TV and Tribune may as well not have existed in Cleveland.

Other than that, it's status quo....for now.  Nexstar wouldn't dare mess with WJW.....would they?

Nexstar since the Media General merger have become a bit more relaxed about it's control of stations and have more or less given the stations free reign to do whatever they want to do with the stations.

Now with Tribune, we'll see even more free reign for the stations as Perry Sook indicated with WGN.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived