Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/19/2019 at 11:06 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Here's an undiscussed wrinkle in the Tribune/Nexstar merger....WJKT in Jackson, TN.

For it's entire existence, it's been tied to WLMT (and later WPTY/WATN), but with these stations being sold to Tegna, it appears Nexstar is keeping WJKT, which means WREG will likely assume the responsibility of running them.

The question is, will WREG produce or repurpose a 9pm newscast for them?  They've always simulcasted the WLMT show.

This doesn't answer the newscast question, but the official Nexstar page for WJKT now links to WREG's website instead of that of WATN/WLMT.

https://www.nexstar.tv/stations/wjkt/

Now It's officially OFFICIAL!! Nexstar has closed its purchase of Tribune. Nexstar is now the largest station group company in the land.

For the first time in 95 years WGN radio (and 71 years for Channel 9), they're no longer "Chicago's Very Own" in terms of being locally-owned.

Also, for the first time in 71 years both WGN-TV & WPIX are separately owned stations. (But will they get back together someday with that Nexstar option beginning next March?)

Bye-Bye Tribune. Goodbye to this 172-year old Chicago institution.

Also Nexstar has made new executive appointments to three former Tribune execs:

• Sean Compton is now the Executive VP of WGN America, WGN Radio & Director of Content Acquisition. He'll be managing these properties plus Antenna TV, and he'll be overseeing Nexstar’s programming acquisitions across all television platforms.
  • Dana Zimmer will serve as Executive VP and Chief Distribution and Strategy Officer. In her new role, Ms. Zimmer is responsible for the distribution and monetization of Nexstar’s broadcast and television content portfolio to cable, satellite, telco and digital media distributors.  She will also manage relationships with Nexstar’s network partners at FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC and The CW.
  • Gary Weitman has been named Executive VP and Chief Communications Officer, responsible for Nexstar’s internal and external communications, media relations, employee communication and the company’s intranet and its website, nexstar.tv.

And now I'll be seeing the Nexstar ID at the end of every newscast year round not just at the end of a newscast seen on KOLR/KOZL/KRBK when I visit Branson.

Welcome to Central Oklahoma, Nexstar. I'll edit this post as soon as my video gets uploaded as KFOR debuts the Nexstar ID today

9 hours ago, TheRob said:

That's Kansas City. I don't know if we added the skyline ourselves or if it came with the video.

WGN just has the state outlines.

image.png.b4e72a9b01249ac1a17de212bf035358.png

WLNS in Lansing (existing Nexstar station) has a shot of our capitol building before the state outlines. Will edit this post once I can grab a clip off of tonight's 11 PM newscast.

KOIN had their first 10pm show on KRCW tonight. Very weird to see it be KGW one day and KOIN the next. Especially after KGW had been doing it since the early 2000s.

I'm seeing viewers post on Twitter and Facebook their confusion. lol!

8 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

KOIN had their first 10pm show on KRCW tonight. Very weird to see it be KGW one day and KOIN the next. Especially after KGW had been doing it since the early 2000s.

DAMN! That quick?! Well they've been doing a 10pm online-cast for several weeks. So I guess that was in preparation for tonight.

18 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

Did KOIN even made the announcement online that they would do that? I've been looking everywhere for the confirmation but I haven't been able to find it.

2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

DAMN! That quick?! Well they've been doing a 10pm online-cast for several weeks. So I guess that was in preparation for tonight.

So I guess KOIN wanted to get it out on Social Media but was too lazy to make the announcement on a website. That makes sense now.

8 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Did KOIN even made the announcement online that they would do that? I've been looking everywhere for the confirmation but I haven't been able to find it.

So I guess KOIN wanted to get it out on Social Media but was too lazy to make the announcement on a website. That makes sense now.

But Nexstar didn't bother to update the website copyright like they did every Tribune station they acquired today. Very weird.

image.thumb.png.19545c2cbcbe3c16e8e1ac3a8df169e0.png

51 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

Imagine WREG doing this sort of thing for WJKT in Jackson now that it's been severed from WATN/WLMT post-merger and subsequent separation. I know they're in separate markets, but I doubt Nexstar will just start up a new news operation from scratch.

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I tried to pay close attention today to see if any promos aired or mentions were made in newscasts or KOIN social media about the 10pm show and I saw nothing. The show uses the regular KOIN bug, not anything involving CW logo the way that KGW did.

The only mention was at the end of the 10pm show. Anchor Jeff Gianola said something to the effect of "thanks for watching us at 10 on the CW, see you at 11pm."

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

But Nexstar didn't bother to update the website copyright like they did every Tribune station they acquired today. Very weird.

image.thumb.png.19545c2cbcbe3c16e8e1ac3a8df169e0.png

KRCW is a shell of a station. Almost no one works there. (Hence the website not being updated.) Their physical building is basically just a routing point for their signal. I'm guessing less than 10 people, work there if that. Maybe 5ish? A few in sales and a couple others. The programming is played out of Seattle (KCPQ), and some sort of master control is involved in Virginia, before the signal is sent back to the KRCW building to be sent to the transmitter.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:02 PM, skbl17 said:

Well, MCTYW had a good run at WNEP. Hope they're ready to C Clarity.

On 3/20/2019 at 8:31 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, if anything, the Talkback 16 segment will be a doozy when they do change the music.  This is how the viewers reacted to the new graphics...

We may not have the riots in the streets when WPVI DARED to change their version of MCTYW.....but we could have the start of a dumpster fire on top of Montage Mountain....

Y'all won't believe this.....

Someone wrote a Change.org petition convincing Tegna not to drop their theme song.

I'm not lying. LOOK!!!

If WKBW wasn't saved from the corporate master, why WNEP would be any different?

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived