Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

19 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

Looks like Colorado is officially NEXSTAR TERRITORY!

We've got the duopoly of FOX21 KXRM and CW57 KXTU in Colorado Springs/Pueblo. Plus, we've got CBS5 KREX in Grand Junction.

Now, for the Denver duopoly of CW2 KWGN and FOX31 KDVR, that duopoly was the last piece of the puzzle.

That approval from the FCC and the Justice department had fit it together

Illinois is officially Nexstarland now too, as they now have Chicago to add to their existing stations in Peoria, Rock Island, Rockford, and Springfield. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is one I’ve always had since the pending Sinclair sale:

Why does Tribune want to sell anyway?

Anyway this may have nothing to do anything, but I can say a new broadcasting company has risen from this sale: Circle City, which is acquiring WISH. Welcome to the industry. 🙏🏻 Oddly enough, this was how Nexstar was spawned, when they bought WYOU after it was sold in 1996.

2 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

WGN just aired the new Nexstar ID at the end of Morning News!

Just saw it. I know their morning show ends at 10a, so I went to their website to see the Nexstar ID for WGN for the first time (this was preceded by an excellent performance by the cast of Newsies, which is playing at the Paramount Theatre in Aurora, IL)...

Funny fact: Berwyn is on the list of cities in the WGN viewing area that is listed in Nexstar's closing ID for the station! (I guess there are people at Nexstar that are fans of Svengoolie LOL).....

"BERWYN?!"

Let me say this. I do find it surprising that they're playing the Nexstar ID, and Nexstar hasn't OFFICIALLY announced the closing of the sale. I would not be surprised if they announce it at the end of trading day (4pm/ET), just like they did when Nexstar closed the MG merger in 2017.

This Tribune editorial cartoonist drew this sketch after FCC approved the sale earlier this week.

5 hours ago, who?cares said:

image.png.62e906beb20c7d5e5cc43866b36a5459.png

Also, WZDX's copyright reflects their new owner.

It's at the bottom of WATN's website too.

Also, WREG is now using the new Nexstar copyright stuff at the end of their newscasts. The Nexstar logo isn't on the bottom of their website yet.

11 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

It's at the bottom of WATN's website too.

Also, WREG is now using the new Nexstar copyright stuff at the end of their newscasts. The Nexstar logo isn't on the bottom of their website yet.

Is the TEGNA logo now appearing at the end of WATN's newscasts, is the Nexstar logo still appearing, or what?

1 hour ago, inanimatecarbonrod said:

WJW had a Nexstar ID at the end of New Day Cleveland.  Website still says Tribune.  

Wonder how long this'll last...

It aired at the end of the morning show too. From looking at most of the other Tribune sites, they also still say Tribune.

If I might be so bold as to suggest that all the Tribune stations have had their IDs and/or website copyright changed, or will do so imminently. Further, the IDs and/or copyrights aren't going to vary terribly much. I'm not sure it's necessary to check in with every station that changes it. Just my $0.02.

Will Fox still try and pursue some stations or will Nexstar hold onto their newly acquired properities?  (I'm sure it's been asked before, but now that it's official, I'm waiting to see the other shoe being dropped)  

If not, could Fox try and buy stations in markets that Nexstar would not sell to them?

WGN and KFOR have the updated footers on their respective websites...since they're all on WordPress VIP, it was probably just a matter of editing the footer.php file in the templates, with variables in place for the Scripps stations (e.g. "if siteName = localtvkstu" or something of the sort) to reflect that verbiage.

Sometime in the last half hour or so it seems that the WPIX website footer was updated to say Scripps Stations Group, E.W. Scripps. Company.  Earlier it still said Tribune.  No lighthouse.  However there is a very prominent story, with the Scripps logo, announcing that for the first time in 71 years WPIX has new ownership.  It definitely is the end of an era.

6 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Will Fox still try and pursue some stations or will Nexstar hold onto their newly acquired properities?  (I'm sure it's been asked before, but now that it's official, I'm waiting to see the other shoe being dropped)  

If not, could Fox try and buy stations in markets that Nexstar would not sell to them?

With Nexstar reaching a new affiliation deal with Fox that also covers the Tribune stations, a sale of any stations to Fox probably won't happen unless Nexstar wants to clear up cap space to exercise its option to buy WPIX back or buy other stations.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived