Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

32 minutes ago, Pine Belt Media said:

https://5newsonline.com/2019/09/17/5news-will-no-longer-be-on-kxnw/

Starting Thursday (Sept. 19) viewers will no longer be able to watch newscasts from 5NEWS on KXNW.

This made me think about KGW's 10pm show on Portland's KRCW 32, which Nexstar is acquiring, making it a sister to KOIN 6.

On their guide, it says KGW's 10pm show on The CW tonight (airing now as I type this) & Wednesday (9/18). But on Thursday (9/19), it shows Seinfeld at 10pm.

Could this mean this deal be closed on Thursday? That's the question.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Did they get a failing station waiver to own two top 4s?

They didn't need to. Despite both stations running different networks on their primary channels (NBC & Fox respectively), KNWA is structured as a satellite station of KFTA. And KXNW (MyNet) is not in the top-4. So the FCC allowed KFTA/KNWS to acquire KXNW.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

They didn't need to. Despite both stations running different networks on their primary channels (NBC & Fox respectively), KNWA is structured as a satellite station of KFTA. And KXNW (MyNet) is not in the top-4. So the FCC allowed KFTA/KNWS to acquire KXNW.

Other way around. "through an existing satellite station waiver that predated KFTA's conversion into a separately programmed Fox affiliate in 2006"

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I'm going by what it says in this paperwork (p.29 (30 in .pdf)), not Wikipedia.

And here's what it says:

R2ZJGuA.png

Even though they treat KNWA as the main station of the two, In FCC's eyes, KFTA is the parent, and KNWA is the satellite (not the other way around).

It don't matter because Nexstar will be running NBC, Fox and MyNet in Northwest Arkansas. This is just as sinister as the quadropoly in central Arkansas (NBC, Fox, CW & MyNet).

And I just thought of something too. This is probably the second time (at least in my eyes) Tegna is being a tad-bit (for a lack of a better word) "shortchanged" in a transaction. Remember Gray-Raycom when it acquired Midland's KWES, but Gray took CW & Telemundo from that station's subs (they've since replaced it with Bounce, Justice & Quest). And now Nexstar has snag KFSM's duopoly station away.

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

This made me think about KGW's 10pm show on Portland's KRCW 32, which Nexstar is acquiring, making it a sister to KOIN 6.

On their guide, it says KGW's 10pm show on The CW tonight (airing now as I type this) & Wednesday (9/18). But on Thursday (9/19), it shows Seinfeld at 10pm.

Could this mean this deal be closed on Thursday? That's the question.

KGW staff knew this day would be coming....A friend told me the official announcement was made today that Wednesday would be the last KGW broadcast on Portlands CW. Said the contract between KRCW (Tribune) and KGW required KRCW to give at least several weeks notice before ending the show. But apparently KGW was ready and willing to give it up much sooner.

Idk if KOIN will take over on Thursday, but my guess would be yes. They have ramped up production of a 10pm show by streaming one online at 10pm over the past month or 2. I imagine it's now just a technical issue of whether KOIN has a solid way to transmit a feed to KRCW's broadcast path. Maybe they prepped for that already and are good to go...??

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

I'm going by what it says in this paperwork (p.29 (30 in .pdf)), not Wikipedia.

And here's what it says:

R2ZJGuA.png

Even though they treat KNWA as the main station of the two, In FCC's eyes, KFTA is the parent, and KNWA is the satellite (not the other way around).

It don't matter because Nexstar will be running NBC, Fox and MyNet in Northwest Arkansas. This is just as sinister as the quadropoly in central Arkansas (NBC, Fox, CW & MyNet).

And I just thought of something too. This is probably the second time (at least in my eyes) Tegna is being a tad-bit (for a lack of a better word) "shortchanged" in a transaction. Remember Gray-Raycom when it acquired Midland's KWES, but Gray took CW & Telemundo from that station's subs (they've since replaced it with Bounce, Justice & Quest). And now Nexstar has snag KFSM's duopoly station away.

Eh. The article that was sited was here: https://www.nwaonline.com/nwat/News/39850/ But since it's gone, I'm going to rely on the FCC statement.

Nexstar will probably keep KWGN too as an SSA to Fox's KDVR and hold the building lease as an enticement.

3 hours ago, TheRob said:

In response to a couple of messages, yes, we were told the sale would close Thursday.

Winter is coming.

Wow. So once the sale closes, TheRob, do you think the Nexstar closing animation/ID will appear on your station the next day, or do you think it will appear first on the evening/primetime newscast on the day the sale closes (assuming one of the anchors mentions it that day)???

Looks like Colorado is officially NEXSTAR TERRITORY!

We've got the duopoly of FOX21 KXRM and CW57 KXTU in Colorado Springs/Pueblo. Plus, we've got CBS5 KREX in Grand Junction.

Now, for the Denver duopoly of CW2 KWGN and FOX31 KDVR, that duopoly was the last piece of the puzzle.

That approval from the FCC and the Justice department had fit it together

1 hour ago, J1975am said:

Wow. So once the sale closes, TheRob, do you think the Nexstar closing animation/ID will appear on your station the next day, or do you think it will appear first on the evening/primetime newscast on the day the sale closes (assuming one of the anchors mentions it that day)???

I imagine everyone will find out together. That's pretty low on my list of concerns.

4 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

We've got the duopoly of FOX21 KXRM and CW57 KXTU in Colorado Springs/Pueblo. Plus, we've got CBS5 KREX in Grand Junction.

Now, for the Denver duopoly of CW2 KWGN and FOX31 KDVR, that duopoly was the last piece of the puzzle.

I Think KDVR/KFCT will be taken over by FOX Television Stations, LLC fairly quickly.  

5 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

I think you can also call much of Florida Scripps territory. You have WTXL in Tallahassee, WFTS in Tampa, WFTX in Fort Myers, three stations in West Palm, and tomorrow, WSFL in Miami. That’s a total of seven, two ABC, an NBC, a CourtTV, two Fox affiliates, and now a CW station. I’m dismissing the rumor of WSFL switching over to Fox.

4 minutes ago, DENDude said:

I think it will be how it has always been, a repeater for FOX31.  I don't see FOX getting rid of it.

Brain fart. I'm thinking of KFQX. Fox could very well buy that too.

6 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

Don't forget KFQX.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived