Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankfully Nexstar hasn't done that with their stations since the Media General merger.  I think a few have gone back to the original web addresses as well. 

Look wise, Tribune has a few decent graphics package floating around, but the generic Tribune look is a lot like the Nexstar CBS package.  

Hopefully some of the goodness from Tribune will remain like it did with Media General.  But the cost-cutting could be a killer, as there has been a lot of departures since the Media General merger.... Get ready for a lot more Alan Sealls-type deals where they low-ball longtime staffers out the door with lousy contracts....

8 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

It appears that the FCC has given the OK for Nexstar and Tribute merger.. It looks like LA and Chicago may take a hit on the merger.

Haven't heard anything yet on WPIX as of yet.

Yeah, it was greenlighted yesterday. The whole deal, including the WPIX spin-off to Scripps was approved.

On my way to the airport in OKC, I made a pit stop at the KFOR/KAUT Studios to say a brief prayer for them. KFOR, “Oklahoma’s News 4,” will be on its EIGHTH owner since Oklahoma Publishing had to divest the station in 1975.

CCE3A4EC-3181-4AD3-AF2F-B8D83221E6C0.jpeg

12 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

1. Nexstar now owns a station in every Colorado market and 3 of them are the markets Fox Affiliates. Maybe we'll see a Fox Affiliate Network? Nah.

2. Nexstar will sell KDVR to Fox and keep the studio lease which will allow them to negotiate as they keep KWGN and negotiate to keep FOX as the operator of both.

3. Get ready for MileHighNow.com

Nexstar seems to have stopped with the dumb website addresses.

9 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Thankfully Nexstar hasn't done that with their stations since the Media General merger.  I think a few have gone back to the original web addresses as well. 

Look wise, Tribune has a few decent graphics package floating around, but the generic Tribune look is a lot like the Nexstar CBS package.  

Hopefully some of the goodness from Tribune will remain like it did with Media General.  But the cost-cutting could be a killer, as there has been a lot of departures since the Media General merger.... Get ready for a lot more Alan Sealls-type deals where they low-ball longtime staffers out the door with lousy contracts....

Is the Tribune Creative West unit being acquired by Nexstar as part of the merger? If so then you may have answered some of your own questions

I wonder what's the future hold for the other Tribune properties, such as WGN America, WGN-AM, CLTV, 2 subchannel networks , plus a stake of Food Network, now that the Nexstar-Tribune deal is near completion? It should be noted that prior to the announcement of that deal, Nexstar has never owned radio stations, cable networks or subchannel networks throughout its 23 year history.

10 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

How long will it take for Nexstar to make something out of News With A Twist?

Nexstar will probably get rid of the News With A Twist format when they get an opportunity to do so.

7 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Nexstar will probably get rid of the News With A Twist format when they get an opportunity to do so.

New Orleans viewers can expect the NEW ABC26 News coming soon. Bring new talent and new management to the soon-to-be new WGNO ABC26.

8 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Can they make any headway against the competition though? It's surprising with all that has happened WDSU hasn't pulled away from everyone else - they have been the beacon of stability in the market.

4 hours ago, detroiter313 said:

I wonder what's the future hold for the other Tribune properties, such as WGN America, WGN-AM, CLTV, 2 subchannel networks , plus a stake of Food Network, now that the Nexstar-Tribune deal is near completion?

WGN Radio and CLTV have a good chance to stay with Nexstar considering they're all-local and WGN isn't just regurgitating the Premiere standard schedule (it also helps that iHeart and Cumulus are unlikely to be buyers in Chicago at this point, and Entercom won't dare sell WSCR or WBBM to pick it up).

WGN America is likely to be sold to a highest bidder or a lower-tier network who will buy out the satellite slot to get a leg up, and at this point the Food Network stake is so silent it's a 'oh yeah, we do own that' part of the transaction they're unlikely to change.

This TV is a dead network walking, but as seen with the sudden dumps of MeTV being listed in O&A, it looks like Nexstar has something in the works for Antenna TV.

58 minutes ago, channel2 said:

What even happened to WGNO? Wasn't their product pretty good early on?

It was alright at first and then when Tribune started tinkering with the formats... Uh... Yeah, it pretty much went downhill. Bear in mind that Nexstar tried to fix then WPTY by changing the call letters to WATN and changed the branding to Local 24 but all of that only netted them exactly how Nexstar got them in the first place.

In the case of New Orleans, the WATN-like changes could net WGNO into a 3rd place station.

57 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Can they make any headway against the competition though? It's surprising with all that has happened WDSU hasn't pulled away from everyone else - they have been the beacon of stability in the market.

With WWL declining the way they are it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see WGNO surge into third place even with the things I've already mentioned in this post.

34 minutes ago, Pine Belt Media said:

https://5newsonline.com/2019/09/17/5news-will-no-longer-be-on-kxnw/

Starting Thursday (Sept. 19) viewers will no longer be able to watch newscasts from 5NEWS on KXNW.

I don't understand why Tegna would want that station.

Never mind. I thought Tegna was buying the other station.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived