Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mre29 said:

Can the buyback be done via a swap? Or is it cash only?

What can Fox even give Nexstar in return?

And before anybody asks, it won't be KTBC since the latter already owns KXAN.

From the sounds of the FTVLive article, it sounds like FOX will pull affiliations for the whole group if they don't cough up Q13, which would leave them with some pretty gaping holes in a lot of places.

Guessing cash will be involved.

50 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

From the sounds of the FTVLive article, it sounds like FOX will pull affiliations for the whole group if they don't cough up Q13, which would leave them with some pretty gaping holes in a lot of places.

Meanwhile ABC meekly sticks with KDNL and seemingly will for the rest of eternity. I'm sure the possibility of KTVI hitting free agency doesn't compel them at all.

8 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

So basically, Fox is playing a hostage taker.

2 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

Are we talking affiliations being pulled from Tribune or all of Nexstar?

14 hours ago, channel2 said:

Meanwhile ABC meekly sticks with KDNL and seemingly will for the rest of eternity. I'm sure the possibility of KTVI hitting free agency doesn't compel them at all.

I'm guessing KTVI free agency would be if Fox and Nexstar don't come to an agreement?

17 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

16 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

So basically, Fox is playing a hostage taker.

Nothing new for them...this is how they acquired KTVU and how they do business.

If only WGN ditching The CW had happened earlier than it did...Cox/KTVU could've pointed to that and said "we survived without you before, and we can do it again."

I'm pretty sure they'll never admit it, but it's easy to infer that Fox used their option to buy WLFL-WRDC from Sinclair as leverage over Capitol to make them cough up WJZY-WMYT. And WCCB has done just fine without Fox too.

2 hours ago, StandbyStandby said:

I'm guessing KTVI free agency would be if Fox and Nexstar don't come to an agreement?

That it would!

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

FTVLIve also says fox has it's eyes on WJW & KDVR/KFCT.    Wonder what will happen to KWGN? 

Scripps chow.

FTVLIve also says fox has it's eyes on WJW & KDVR/KFCT.    Wonder what will happen to KWGN? 

Scripps chow.

Please no Scripps chow. KMGH is a mess and I can't imagine KWGN wouldn't also become a mess.

Also can't imagine why Fox wouldn't want KWGN. I thought they were all about duopolies?

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

Don't see why Nexstar couldn't continue to own them unless they're really trying to get under the cap to keep PIX 11...

KWGN is based in the same building as KDVR and they share one news operation. Unwinding that, if Fox and Nexstar so chose, would be a pain.

14 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Please no Scripps chow. KMGH is a mess and I can't imagine KWGN wouldn't also become a mess.

Also can't imagine why Fox wouldn't want KWGN. I thought they were all about duopolies?

KWGN is based in the same building as KDVR and they share one news operation. Unwinding that, if Fox and Nexstar so chose, would be a pain.

I'd agree.  If Fox and Nexstar were/are smart, they would be better off keeping KDVR and KWGN together.

37 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Wouldn't the only other option be CBS?

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

Don't see why Nexstar couldn't continue to own them unless they're really trying to get under the cap to keep PIX 11...

To get under the cap, wouldn't Nexstar also have to unload WPHL, KDAF, and KIAH?

3 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

To get under the cap, wouldn't Nexstar also have to unload WPHL, KDAF, and KIAH?

Nexstar (and Fox) would be crazy and idiotic enough to break up the KDVR/KWGN duopoly but selling off a station in KDAF that's very close to corporate headquarters (despite it's problems with the station) would be one of THE dumbest moves I have EVER seen.

17 hours ago, channel2 said:

It wouldn't necessarily hurt KWGN all that much to be under the same umbrella as KMGH, KWGN hasn't been much of a factor since Tribune & Local TV, LLC got together.  

With that said I doubt KWGN would go to scrips they just took on KOAA and I believe that will be there focus.  

I hope that Nexstar or who ever get's KWGN does something with it. 

It wouldn't necessarily hurt KWGN all that much to be under the same umbrella as KMGH, KWGN hasn't been much of a factor since Tribune & Local TV, LLC got together.  

With that said I doubt KWGN would go to scrips they just took on KOAA and I believe that will be there focus.  

I hope that Nexstar or who ever get's KWGN does something with it. 

The other thing is KMGH is currently in a broadcast agreement with KCDO (K3) for airing news rebroadcasts and would not be able to do anything with KWGN anyway without upsetting that, so I don't see a 7-2 duopoly happening anytime soon.

The way I see things, KWGN is in a vulnerable position.  If Fox buys KDVR back and KWGN remains part of the package, it could mean that we may have to start saying Fox 2.  In other words, KDVR and KWGN switch channels considering Fox will probably favor the lower channel as they have for years, or KDVR moves to channel 2 with the CW getting carried by a subchannel, KWGN ceases to exist, channel 31 sells off it's frequencies, and the news department sees a merger and people get laid off.  It's already happened in other cities so it's not a far off possibility.

At that point the question is what happens to KFCT, and the chances are it could be sold off also, either to a broadcaster that has only subchannel networks or leaves the air entirely.

I thought when I was this topic having new messages was that DOJ approved TEGNA spinoffs from the merger. I had a feeling that Fox was going to get some TV stations from Nexstar as Fox wanted Seattle I wonder if there getting the MyNet TV as well doesn't Tribune own that in Seattle as well?

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived