Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/25/2019 at 8:59 PM, scrabbleship said:

5th Place in news ratings =/= 5th Place in revenue.

WTTV's CBS affiliation could help them with the latter. 10+ Colts games per year, a handful of IU/Purdue basketball games per year, 1/4 of March Madness, plus their daytime/primetime lineup might help them a ton and put them in that #4 spot even if their news ratings are awful.

This goes both ways. IIRC, then-WJWB in Jacksonville Top 4 in revenue until then-WTEV got its footing as CBS thanks to their doing most of the commercial production for that market.

Seeing WTTV daytime TV programmes don't seem very CBS to me Peoples Court, Judge Mathis. Big Bang repeats are about the only thing CBS and second run of TMZ at 1:30AM WXIN airs it at 7:30PM. 4TH place by default with CBS Primetime and sports.    

Scripps was my number 1 to buy WXMI Fox17 which Scripps is forming I-96 cluster and starting maybe a Michigan state news service wonder if Fox17 will air news for WSYM Fox47 in Lansing or will keep sharing agreement with local NBC station in Lansing as is. I was never surprised Scripps didn't start a newscast of Fox47 too much money that they didn't want to do. Right This Minute returns to Fox17 as they had it from 2014 to 2016 before Media General/Nexstar took it from 2016 to now largely was on WXSP was on WOTV for a few months before Nexstar decided to change things up in late Jan of 2017.

Hollywood Today Live was DOA when Nexstar didn't add it to there stations in the fall of 2016 which I thought they would've signed on for HTL and canceled it a couple of months after the merger with MG. I liked HTL was a pretty good talk show watched it a few days a week as there were other shows I liked at 5PM. I thought that Pawn Stars was only aired largely on CW or MYNet TV stations on 5 days a week or weekend only I could see a Top 3 TV stations airing Pawns Stars on weekends only Pawn Stars airs on the weekends this year on WXSP they have aired Pawn Stars since it's debut in Syndie in 2016 was aired late night in 2016-18 2016-17 was aired at 12AM & 2017 was on at 1:30AM how I got into Pawn Stars last year. Which I know no cares LOL.

Kinda surprised that WBAY airs Pawn Stars for a full hour at 11AM being a Top 3 TV Station in GB which should be aired on CW or MYNet TV in the area or be put on late at night only weekends only. I don't get what Gray is thinking of putting Pawn Stars at 11AM?  

On 3/19/2019 at 3:53 PM, CircleSeven said:

And here come the advocacy groups.......

ATVANCTA, DISH, Frontier, & Common Cause have wrote objections to the deal. The latter three are Petitions of Deny.

Here's Nexstar's response to the deny petitions.

Meanwhile. The paperwork is up on some of spin-off apps going to both Scripps & Tegna.

• So here's Scripps' Purchase Agreement & Tegna's Purchase Agreement
  • Both APAs include a post-closing transition agreement, and regarding the former it includes WPIX's Option agreement (p.101 on PDF). 
  • In regarts to Fort Smith, The paperwork ONLY list KFSM and NOT KXNW.
  • Also regarding Tegna, On the Multiple Ownership doc, I found this note. Remember someone here said WLMT was in fourth place, and I said it was big error? Well...
    •  In Memphis, Comscore’s February 2019 survey shows that WATN consistently placed fifth in all-day household share, except on Saturday, when WATN placed fourth by a narrow margin over WLMT.

So damn. WATN is like the WGNO of Memphis huh??

• Also posted on the same MO doc, it also list a chart of Tegna's total cap percentage (post-transaction) totalling 37.14% (without the loophole; 30.35% with).

2 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

ABC must be cursed on Interstate 55.

Not all ABC affiliates whose DMA serves I-55 is cursed per se (I know for a fact that WLS in Chicago isn't)

Not just a win for Nexstar, who’ll keep WXIN and WTTV, but a HUGE win for Mr. McCoy as well!

One wonders what sort of on-air changes will happen at WISH-TV once the sale goes through. My prediction is that the news on the station will be a lot looser & creative in style and format, as KADN’s news became once Bayou City took over the station in 2017....

50 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I believe even WAPT has forged ahead of longtime 2nd place station WJTV...

Isn't WAPT one of those overlooked Hearst stations still in Widescreen SD?

I don't think route is fully cursed. WABG is a mess, but it still was #1 before Bahakel and Saga screwed that market to hell. WSIL may be #3 overall but it superserves the Illinois part of the market. Otherwise...yes.

20 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

Isn't WAPT one of those overlooked Hearst stations still in Widescreen SD?

I don't think route is fully cursed. WABG is a mess, but it still was #1 before Bahakel and Saga screwed that market to hell. WSIL may be #3 overall but it superserves the Illinois part of the market. Otherwise...yes.

Nope WAPT is HD.

16 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

So WISH is becoming locally owned. This is good.

Kinda on the locally owned part. It should be noted that DuJuan McCoy has been involved in broadcasting for a while. His existing company, Bayou City Broadcasting, already owns WEVV, KADN and KLAF and once owned KXVA and KIDY before spinning those off to London Broadcasting. It does seem odd he would create a new company from scratch when he already has a small station group (unless its an arm of Bayou City). Plus, the sale hinges partly on whether Nexstar can get a top-4 waiver for WXIN and WTTV/WTTK, so this could be the start of a game of musical chairs in Indy.

2 hours ago, J1975am said:

Not just a win for Nexstar, who’ll keep WXIN and WTTV, but a HUGE win for Mr. McCoy as well!

One wonders what sort of on-air changes will happen at WISH-TV once the sale goes through. My prediction is that the news on the station will be a lot looser & creative in style and format, as KADN’s news became once Bayou City took over the station in 2017....

Not too loose though. Indy is different from Lafayette.

More paperwork tonight.

This is regarding the stations owned by Dreamcatcher.

• The way its being structured, Tribune will first exercise its option to acquire the stations from Dreamcatcher.
  • Afterwards, Tribune will spin off the stations to Scripps (WTKR/WGNT) & Tegna (WNEP), respectively.
  • With regards to Hampton Roads, Scripps is asking the FCC to keep the duopoly together, because right now, WGNT is in the top-4. They also noted that if they woud've filed just a month prior, the station would've been in fifth place. They do cite the Honolulu order in Gray-Raycom,

Also paperwork for WISH/WNDY to DuJuan McCoy's Circle City Broadcasting was posted a couple of nights ago.

It said on the Multiple ownership compliance section that only WNDY is not in the Top-4, and WISH-TV is.

54 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It said on the Multiple ownership compliance section that only WNDY is not in the Top-4, and WISH-TV is,

I’m assuming the ranking in Indy are:

Monetary: 

WXIN

WTHR

WRTV

WISH

WTTV

WNDY

WIPX

Ratings

WTHR

WXIN

WISH

WRTV

WTTV

13 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

More paperwork tonight.

This is regarding the stations owned by Dreamcatcher.

• The way its being structured, Tribune will first exercise its option to acquire the stations from Dreamcatcher.
  • Afterwards, Tribune will spin off the stations to Scripps (WTKR/WGNT) & Tegna (WNEP), respectively.
  • With regards to Hampton Roads, Scripps is asking the FCC to keep the duopoly together, because right now, WGNT is in the top-4. They also noted that if they woud've filed just a month prior, the station would've been in fifth place. They do cite the Honolulu order in Gray-Raycom,

Also paperwork for WISH/WNDY to DuJuan McCoy's Circle City Broadcasting was posted a couple of nights ago.

It said on the Multiple ownership compliance section that only WNDY is not in the Top-4, and WISH-TV is.

It's a fair request since WGNT and WVBT tend to oscillate between 4th and 5th, and WGNT has little value as a standalone station.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:46 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

It's a fair request since WGNT and WVBT tend to oscillate between 4th and 5th, and WGNT has little value as a standalone station.

Would it have made sense for Nexstar selling WVBT and WGNT together since they do trade 4th and 5th place with each other? Somehow Nexstar wasn't thinking in Hampton Roads imo

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived