Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

22 hours ago, compubit said:

Let the consolidation of broadcast TV continue...  I’m just waiting for the FCC to eliminate the caps, and then we’ll have a TEGNA, a Scripps, a Sinclair, and Nexstar station in each market (possibly excepting where the O&Os decide they want to keep stations...).  Sound familiar (O Canada!)?

Sinclair is not in a position to actually succeed with buying any stations.

But TEGNA and Scripps are so hungry right now that maybe at some point they'll be mega groups like Sinclair, Nexstar, and Gray are.

If I only had TEGNA, Scripps, Sinclair, and Nexstar as options, I'll take Scripps. Scripps may be lost at this point but at least they're not as lost as the other three (especially Sinclair and Nexstar).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, who?cares said:

TTV is in 5th place. 

TTV is in 5th place. 

5th Place in news ratings =/= 5th Place in revenue.

WTTV's CBS affiliation could help them with the latter. 10+ Colts games per year, a handful of IU/Purdue basketball games per year, 1/4 of March Madness, plus their daytime/primetime lineup might help them a ton and put them in that #4 spot even if their news ratings are awful.

This goes both ways. IIRC, then-WJWB in Jacksonville Top 4 in revenue until then-WTEV got its footing as CBS thanks to their doing most of the commercial production for that market.

17 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

Do we know the fate of Right This Minute, especially with Disney/ABC bowing out and the two non-Scripps groups involved being, well, dead or about to die? I know, it's cheap, but at which point do you put it out of its misery to boost something else

RTM is about as low-effort a show as you can get, so it'll probably take a Daily Buzz-like slow fall where eventually it'll be stuck in late night and fade away as the talent departs. The only reason it seems to stay on the air is because it's produced by ASU kids and that can be used as a lazy way to say 'hey, we're giving kids a leg up here in the broadcasting industry'.

I see Gray pulling out as soon as possible though, going by how fast they downgraded Me Time and killed Hollywood Today Live on the stations they acquired in the Nexstar/MG deal the first moment they could; they have no mercy for a show if it does lousy unless it's stuck there by contractual force (aka the 86-year deal for Pawn Stars and Just for Laughs Gags reruns WBAY is stuck under from their MG period).

55 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

A very long term deal with no outs. I can't think of any other stations, let alone a Big 4 affiliate that is #1 in a medium market, that air Pawn Stars at 11:00/11:30 AM. 

You mean, instead of a newscast, WBAY decides to air Pawn Stars at 11am?!? I'm sorry bro, but you just gave WYTV a bad idea.😂😂😂

10 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

You mean, instead of a newscast, WBAY decides to air Pawn Stars at 11am?!? I'm sorry bro, but you just gave WYTV a bad idea.😂😂😂

To be fair, WBAY does air a noon newscast. Which leads into an infomercial, then General Hospital and Strahan & Sara on a 2 hour delay.

I'm amazed WYTV didn't follow WBAY's example when they were basically sister stations. 😂

15 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

WBAY airs Pawn Stars at 11am and 11:30am, Action 2 News at Noon, Paid Programming at 12:30pm, General Hospital at 1pm, and Strehan and Sara at 2pm.

They used to air The Chew on a day delay too so that they could air it earlier in the day. 11am, if I recall?

4 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

If anything, those shows should switch timeslots.

Either that or just let someone else have Wendy. I mean, that's the same thing that irritates me about Hearst and the Real in a couple of cities. I'm sure there's a station that would give the shows better treatment than that.

18 hours ago, channel2 said:

86-year deal?

Was (thankfully) an exaggeration. I would say they would love to move Wendy to 11am, but MG did some weird things in the markets where only one station existed in their state with their scheduling, and WBAY is still recovering from that. They did indeed have The Chew on a one-day 11am delay (it actually dated back to their 1992 affiliation switch with All My Children) but got permission later on to move it to 2pm same-day because viewers were complaining about recipes being useless on tape delay.

To be fair though, Green Bay is an odd market where you do have a smaller African-American population than most 1-100 market cities (basically it's a split in the main cities between A-A and Hmong Asian residents for the main minorities, with Latinx following behind), which is why you get a lot of A-A-targeting shows ending up on WACY out of nowhere else really to go, Wendy in late night, and Bounce pretty much existing in an unpromoted limbo on WFRV-DT2. And for some reason, I guess those advertisers are more assured by Pawn Stars reruns than Wendy.

I will say though I think this is off-topic and could do with a topic break if a mod would do so for sure.

8 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Is Wendy on a tape delay?

Since the show is usually aired live (except on Friday which is taped on Thursday), this is definitely the case. And for a station in a non Top-20 market going through all that ridiculous trouble, they really shouldn't.

On 3/25/2019 at 8:24 AM, scrabbleship said:

WLVI just seems to be very oddly run as if as little effort as possible has been put into it. Their signing daytime off to the Trash Talk Trio and their propensity to have shows in plum slots long after other markets (Mom is in this slot now, American Dad! was before it detoured to WBIN) is proof to this. I think the economics of a corporation worth billions with major market buying power versus one man can be seen if you look at their schedule versus their former sisters.

Sunbeam has never invested much into syndicated programming. They just haven’t. Just enough to get by and keep people tuned in.

For news-dominant WHDH and WSVN, they can get away with it, while it’s very noticeable at WLVI.

Perry Sook and Tim Busch have been touring the Tribune stations to be acquired by Nexstar as well as some current Nexstar stations...sounds like Nexstar's not at this time planning on integrating Tribune's proprietary newsroom software and master control automation (Opus and Brutus, respectively) to their existing stations, and may be dropping them altogether at the former Tribune stations they will be acquiring.

6 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

Perry Sook and Tim Busch have been touring the Tribune stations to be acquired by Nexstar as well as some current Nexstar stations...sounds like Nexstar's not at this time planning on integrating Tribune's proprietary newsroom software and master control automation (Opus and Brutus, respectively) to their existing stations, and may be dropping them altogether at the former Tribune stations they will be acquiring.

That could indicate they prefer reliable, easily available and serviceable equipment that works and is more user friendly;

or that the Tribune nightmare electronics can’t integrate into Nexstar’s systems;

or that the small handful of Tribune corporate engineers who are the only ones who understand these frustrating devices are not joining the Nexstar payroll;

or all of the above.

19 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

It's great that they're jettisoning OPUS, but do they really want to go to the cost of outfitting all the Trib stations with new CG's, MCO switchers, and NRCS equimpent just yet? A lot of these stations just got rid of VIZ. 

3 hours ago, StandbyStandby said:

It's great that they're jettisoning OPUS, but do they really want to go to the cost of outfitting all the Trib stations with new CG's, MCO switchers, and NRCS equimpent just yet? A lot of these stations just got rid of VIZ. 

Nexstar, as big as they are, may let stations keep new CG, give them the templates and say make it work.  According  to this document says stations are hubbed.  And whatever NRCS they use likely has a bulk license. 

4 hours ago, StandbyStandby said:

They may keep the stations hubbed that are hubbed (most but not all Trib stations are hubbed), but switch from Brutus to something more mainstream like Acuitas from Florical, or whatever Nexstar uses. And yes, pre-MG Nexstar utilized regional master control hubs. These are full-on hubs and not centralized monitoring like Scripps, Tegna, NBC, Fox, etc.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:57 PM, H4UL4U said:

They may keep the stations hubbed that are hubbed (most but not all Trib stations are hubbed), but switch from Brutus to something more mainstream like Acuitas from Florical, or whatever Nexstar uses. And yes, pre-MG Nexstar utilized regional master control hubs. These are full-on hubs and not centralized monitoring like Scripps, Tegna, NBC, Fox, etc.

Pre-Young merger, Media General had "monitoring" hubs in Columbus and Spartanburg for their NBC and CBS stations at the time.  Programming and spots were stored at the local level and run remotely through these hubs.  Were the existing LIN hubs all inclusive and has any of the legacy stations changed hubs?  Pre-Nexstar, WJAR and WVTM were sold off, WNCN switched to CBS, and WFNA was added to WKRG's operation.  Post-Nexstar, WSLS was sold.

Also, were any of the trade bait stations added? these include KXRM & WHTM.  I believe Spartanburg picked up WJBF and Columbus picked up WAGT when it was run by MG.

On the LIN side, Mobile and Savannah were hubs, but both were sold since their stations were the ones not kept by Media Genreral (except for WFNA), with WALA going Meredith and Savannah's duo going to Hearst.

With WISH likely getting sold, there will go one of LIN's major hubs.  Either WJW or WGN could possibly pick up some of the slack?

45 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Pre-Young merger, Media General had "monitoring" hubs in Columbus and Spartanburg for their NBC and CBS stations at the time.  Programming and spots were stored at the local level and run remotely through these hubs.  Were the existing LIN hubs all inclusive and has any of the legacy stations changed hubs?  Pre-Nexstar, WJAR and WVTM were sold off, WNCN switched to CBS, and WFNA was added to WKRG's operation.  Post-Nexstar, WSLS was sold.

Also, were any of the trade bait stations added? these include KXRM & WHTM.  I believe Spartanburg picked up WJBF and Columbus picked up WAGT when it was run by MG.

On the LIN side, Mobile and Savannah were hubs, but both were sold since their stations were the ones not kept by Media Genreral (except for WFNA), with WALA going Meredith and Savannah's duo going to Hearst.

With WISH likely getting sold, there will go one of LIN's major hubs.  Either WJW or WGN could possibly pick up some of the slack?

The legacy hubs are still there. In fact, if you're looking for a job the Spartanburg hub is hiring.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived