Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

17 hours ago, IndoTVNewsFan said:

I really thought that Scripps would end up with the Antenna TV diginet, given that Nexstar isn't into national platforms. But, given the news about KASW, I know where Court TV will end up once it launches.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tw-804 said:

Oh, shoot! I forgot about Talkback 16. WNEP, get ready because those old folks... hoo-boy!

For all we know, them elderly folks might actually like the ooh-aahing on WNEP, assuming that Tegna even keeps Talkback 16 to begin with. 😂

1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

For all we know, them elderly folks might actually like the ooh-aahing on WNEP, assuming that Tegna even keeps Talkback 16 to begin with. 😂

Scranton doesn't deserve Tegna. Perhaps it should be swapped for a station in a market that would appreciate the ooh-aahing.

WNEP for WFXT. Make this happen. Terrier gets a market actually near their stations and Boston gets a company that actually cares about their stations.

1 hour ago, mre29 said:

What makes you think it's "shaping up to be a dumpster fire"?

The fact that two totally different groups are being forcibly merged together. Anything would've been better than this - Tegna, Scripps, a sale back to Fox, Nexstar, anyone not named Sinclair.

Terrier also has zero path to buy anything in New England or New York except maybe Hubbard. And the stations they have in New York right now are small market trash that fit in better with Gray. It's time to put the puppy down and sell 25 to someone that cares. 

2 hours ago, atlnews2 said:

So who in the world is Apollo going to go after now in order to build "scale" with Cox assets now that the biggest get out there is gone?

Nobody. If I was Apollo I would turn around and give up now since there is nothing to go for. This the worst case scenario for all involved.

6 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

If I was Apollo I would turn around and give up now since there is nothing to go for. This the worst case scenario for all involved.

That’s kinda the point of private equity firms. Apollo was trying to grow Terrier so they could either sell the whole amalgamation off, or deal it in pieces. I would be shocked if they weren’t a part of the bidding for WPIX and the other divestitures, but luck wasn’t on their side. Tegna and Scripps had to have driven up the asking prices so much that even Fox bowed out as an additional suitor.

The Cox family clearly know Terrier’s obvious fate, and that’s why they are a part of it. Because they can reap the rewards once the group is ultimately dealt away.

29 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

That’s kinda the point of private equity firms. Apollo was trying to grow Terrier so they could either sell the whole amalgamation off, or deal it in pieces. I would be shocked if they weren’t a part of the bidding for WPIX and the other divestitures, but luck wasn’t on their side. Tegna and Scripps had to have driven up the asking prices so much that even Fox bowed out as an additional suitor.

The Cox family clearly know Terrier’s obvious fate, and that’s why they are a part of it. Because they can reap the rewards once the group is ultimately dealt away.

The Tribune selloffs would've been perfect for them. And really was their only chance to have a relatively easy path to have a rapid path to growth. Now they're stuck in a situation that makes hearding cats look easy with no real path to growth.

Hearst? Can't decide what they want to do and some of their stations need tech help bad.

Meredith? See above though save WNEM they're better off on the tech end.

Graham? Sorting out Jacksonville would be a headache and I don't think they have it in them.

Hubbard? Yesterday made them instant Scripps chow. Totally clean deal.

Dispatch? See the first three.

Morris? I know Macon and Chattanooga bracket Atlanta but that would be pouring kerosene on the fire.

Heartland? It's when, not if, Gray gets a hold of them.

NPG? Quincy? Both would be problematic and NPG would have some conflicts.

Who really is left who wouldn't be a disaster? Tribune's selloffs were their one shot and they messed it up.

11 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I don't believe they would even care about Tegna's acquisition of WNEP unless Tegna decides to destroy their outdoor weather set/landscape/hardscape and move indoors. That definitely would make their Talkback 16 segment a one-hour broadcast......if Tegna decides to keep that. Lol. 

23 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

Congrats on the comment of the day!!!  

Resistance is Futile!!!

— Matt

I second that!!!

11 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

Nobody. If I was Apollo I would turn around and give up now since there is nothing to go for. This the worst case scenario for all involved.

So they didn't get another handful of stations on top of their already sizable portfolio they've built out of nothing in a very short time... So they might as well just give up!

This is a bump in the road.

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

So they didn't get another handful of stations on top of their already sizable portfolio they've built out of nothing in a very short time... So they might as well just give up!

This is a bump in the road.

Nothing is really left. Especially in a New England Cox was forced into.

If you think about it, what is left for the picking anywhere near New England? Hubbard? Citadel? Rockfleet? Lilly? The forced marriage to the trash heap known as Northwest makes this look worse than this is.

When you're wishing for Tegna and Scripps, your market is broken. 

6 hours ago, IsitCC? said:

I don't believe they would even care about Tegna's acquisition of WNEP unless Tegna decides to destroy their outdoor weather set/landscape/hardscape and move indoors. That definitely would make their Talkback 16 segment a one-hour broadcast......if Tegna decides to keep that. Lol. 

They complain about WNEP still using MCTYW. They'll definitely complain about the Avant-Garde style music that Tegna uses.

As long as WTOP Radio/digital is a literal ATM, Hubbard will never sell. They have a really good radio portfolio that Scripps wouldn’t bother with.

Hearst is more than happy with the position they’ve got, plus they still own 20% of ESPN, 50% of A+E Networks, and a significant newspaper chain. M&As aren’t a priority for them.

1 hour ago, NowBergen said:

As mentioned yesterday, it is for a limited time IF the FCC changes ownership regulations.  That is not a given in any shape or form.

Congress still has to sign off on any changes in ownership rules. And with this FCC, it’s automatically DOA in the Democratic House through 2020.

Perry is gambling with this option under the hope that certain people win in 2020 that he wants to win. But suffice it to say it’s not a sure bet.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:30 AM, TSSZNews said:

Forget WNEP - $75 million seems EXTRAORDINARILY low for a station in the #1 DMA, even if it’s ranked 5th in the market.

'PIX only went for $75 mil???

better stations in much smaller markets were going for that 10 years ago...

THIS is why the Cox family is dumping their TV stations... losing value FAST!!! get out while you can before they're worth less than the equipment inside...

what a deal for nexstar if they exercise the option... that station will be worth even less by then!!!

On 3/21/2019 at 2:55 PM, scrabbleship said:

If you think about it, what is left for the picking anywhere near New England? Hubbard? Citadel? Rockfleet? Lilly? The forced marriage to the trash heap known as Northwest makes this look worse than this is.

No offense to Rockfleet, but I would think Providence/New Bedford would be just a bit more enticing than Bangor (though, really, Apollo could buy both Citadel and Rockfleet without even breaking a sweat).

On 3/21/2019 at 4:55 PM, james32746 said:

I wonder what will happen to KXNW?

Nexstar is keeping KXNW with KNWA/KFTA forming a de-facto triopoly with plans to turn KXNW into a semi-satellite station

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Nexstar is keeping KXNW with KNWA/KFTA forming a de-facto triopoly with plans to turn KXNW into a semi-satellite station

Where's the proof that Nexstar is keeping KXNW and going to use it as a semi-satellite station? I read many of the press releases from the publications this week, and not one mentioned anything about what they'll do with KXNW.

Going back to the original comprehensive exhibit (p.29 (30 on the PDF)) however:

4.   Fort Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale, Rogers, AR

In this market, a Tribune subsidiary is the licensee of KFSM-TV, Fort Smith, Arkansas (CBS) and KXNW(DT), Eureka Springs, Arkansas (MyNet). NBI is the licensee of KFTA-TV, Fort Smith, Arkansas (NBC/FOX) and KNWA-TV, Rogers, Arkansas (NBC/FOX), a satellite station of KFTA-TV. After making the divestitures described in Section VIII.A., Nexstar’s ownership of two stations (only one of which is a Top Four station) in this market will comply with the Duopoly Rule.

Interesting that the FCC is still classifying KNWA as a satellite of KFTA. But I'm going to wait until the amended paperwork gets posted, to see whether Nexstar is keeping KXNW or not. That'll probably won't happen until they finalize the deal of which Indy property they'll sell off.

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Where's the proof that Nexstar is keeping KXNW and going to use it as a semi-satellite station?

Somebody put that on the KFSM Wikipedia site

10 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source.

Apparently, it is since how someone had the information about the intentions of KXNW and posted it on Wikipedia

On 3/21/2019 at 10:17 PM, Webovision said:

'PIX only went for $75 mil???

better stations in much smaller markets were going for that 10 years ago...

THIS is why the Cox family is dumping their TV stations... losing value FAST!!! get out while you can before they're worth less than the equipment inside...

what a deal for nexstar if they exercise the option... that station will be worth even less by then!!!

I don't know how it is for Tribune or Nexstar but for most companies retrans fees are a lot lower for CW affiliates than for a "big 4". Usually its a set price for "Big 4" then a lower set price for CW's, My Net's and independents. One broadcaster that I've seen is getting at least 7 times as much for retrans for its big 4 networks than for its CW affiliates. 

Nexstar was estimating that they would get a billion for all of the spinoffs. So far they're at 1.3 billion and they still have to sell off stations in Indianapolis. Maybe Apollo thought it wasn't worth buying anything at that price point?

13 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Apparently, it is since how someone had the information about the intentions of KXNW and posted it on Wikipedia

I'm talking about proof from credible and verifiable sources. Not from Wiki. You can't always believe what's posted on that site and take it as gospel.

But again, we'll wait until Nexstar post the amended paperwork.

5 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I'm talking about proof from credible and verifiable sources. Not from Wiki. You can't always believe what's posted on that site and take it as gospel.

Yes you can

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived