Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

WXMI to Scripps was a wise choice. Strengthens the sisterly bond to WSYM and WXYZ to form the I-96 chain gang. 

I’m wondering if we’ll be seeing a lot of logo changes for the Fox stations? Neither Tegna nor Scripps use the searchlight logos on their Fox stations. 

Corrected

21 minutes ago, who?cares said:

So with these announcements, which stations are left to divest?

Clearly WISH/WNDY

Sorting out Indianapolis is all that is left. They are asking for the waiver to keep the current Tribune duopoly together. Otherwise they'll have to mix and match.

10 hours ago, channel2 said:

Really not sure what the hell Scripps is gonna do with WSFL, given how little Tribune seems to care for it.

I’m also wondering about WSFL and Scripps. I mean Miami is a big market, yet WSVN is the only English language choice for local news in the 10pm hour, And from 7-9am. There Should be lighter alternatives, like WPLG trying a 10pm newscast on MeTV 10.2, or CBS4 news on WBFS channel 33, But neither seems to happen. Good luck to WSFL if they’re relying on #1 in West Palm Beach WPTV.

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I have to feel sorry for WATN and WLMT as well, their sale was a forgone conclusion because it was clear that Nexstar was going to jump on getting the #1 station, but Nexstar at least was responsible for guiding a new path for them after all of the years of failure as WPTY, and whatever Newport did to them prior to their sale.... It would have been interesting if Scripps got them seeing as how they founded WMC and later sold then to Ellis (and can now own them since the Commercial-Appeal is now under Gannett since Scripps dumped their papers on Journal and got their TV stations)

It didn't matter who was going to purchase WATN/WLMT in the end as the new owners were going to be in an uphill battle competing against the well-established stations in the Memphis market regardless. Then again, with every station changing owners (WMC to Gray, WREG to Nexstar, WHBQ to Terrier (woof), and now WATN/WLMT to TEGNA), it'll be interesting to see how everybody fares going forward.

16 minutes ago, nbc4ne said:

I’m also wondering about WSFL and Scripps. I mean Miami is a big market, yet WSVN is the only English language choice for local news in the 10pm hour, And from 7-9am. There Should be lighter alternatives, like WPLG trying a 10pm newscast on MeTV 10.2, or CBS4 news on WBFS channel 33, But neither seems to happen. Good luck to WSFL if they’re relying on #1 in West Palm Beach WPTV.

WBFS did have a 10PM news for a while as did WSFL in the late 90s and early 2000s but considering how strong WSVN is, I doubt it makes any financial sense to run a newscast. I just think that more than likely they will start hubbing out of WPTV (like MC and other functions) so that it can be literally low cost.

From Scripps

Scripps is acquiring:

• WPIX, the No.5-ranked CW affiliate in New York City

• KASW, the CW affiliate in Phoenix (which joins the Scripps ABC affiliate there)

• WSFL, the CW affiliate in Miami–Fort Lauderdale (adjacent to the Scripps NBC affiliate in West Palm Beach, Florida)

• KSTU, the No. 2-ranked Fox affiliate in Salt Lake City

• WTKR, the No. 2-ranked CBS affiliate, and WGNT, the CW affiliate, in Norfolk, Virginia

• WTVR, the No. 2-ranked CBS affiliate in Richmond, Virginia

• WXMI, the Fox affiliate in Grand Rapids, Michigan

From TEGNA

Television stations to be acquired include:

WTIC/WCCT — FOX/CW affiliates in Hartford-New Haven, CT
WPMT — FOX affiliate in Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, PA
WATN/WLMT — ABC/CW affiliates in Memphis, TN
WNEP — ABC affiliate in Wilkes Barre-Scranton, PA
WOI/KCWI — ABC/CW affiliates in Des Moines-Ames, IA
WZDX — FOX affiliate in Huntsville-Decatur-Florence, AL
WQAD — ABC affiliate in Davenport, IA and Rock Island-Moline, IL
KFSM — CBS affiliate in Ft. Smith-Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, AR

Surprise FOX54 in Huntsville & WHNT not becoming a combo station, but I saw TEGNA getting FOX CT.  WOI & WATN under TEGNA and TEGNA getting some ABC affiliates. Hmmm.

29 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

It didn't matter who was going to purchase WATN/WLMT in the end as the new owners were going to be in an uphill battle competing against the well-established stations in the Memphis market regardless. Then again, with every station changing owners (WMC to Gray, WREG to Nexstar, WHBQ to Terrier (woof), and now WATN/WLMT to TEGNA), it'll be interesting to see how everybody fares going forward.

Man, It would of have been great if WREG was under TEGNA and Nexstar kept ABC24. SIGH

49 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

I wonder who will come out the winner in that complete overhaul in Memphis too. Any big winner or big loser?

39 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Surprise FOX54 in Huntsville & WHNT not becoming a combo station, but I saw TEGNA getting FOX CT.  WOI & WATN under TEGNA and TEGNA getting some ABC affiliates. Hmmm.

Interesting to note that it was just last year that Nexstar acquired WHDF. Now it's swapping duopoly partners after only five months under Nexstar's purview. When the deal is completed by summer's end, the combo of WZDX and WHDF could go down as the shortest-lived duopoly (not counting those that were allowed to be kept temporarily to give time to sell a conflicting property) ever.

35 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

I suppose someone is going to create slow death threads soon because they don't like the companies. Although I think that Scripps and Tegna will actually do well with some of the Fox and CW stations in this deal. 

There are much worse companies that you can be saddled with than the Lighthouse and the ex-Deathstar.

You can be like Boston where there is the Old Man and the Parvo-Ridden Puppy. The synthesized notes of Sixime Son or Stephen Arnold would do well in this wealthy market with much of a swing state in it.

In Oklahoma, Nexstar will gain a central station in Oklahoma while being the provider of NBC programming to most of the Sooner State. In the attached map of Oklahoma:

Pink - Legacy Nexstar

Red - KFOR

Sky Blue - KJRH (Scripps)

Dark Blue - KTEN - Lockwood

Nexstar OK.png

32 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

I suppose someone is going to create slow death threads soon because they don't like the companies. Although I think that Scripps and Tegna will actually do well with some of the Fox and CW stations in this deal. 

10 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

There are much worse companies that you can be saddled with than the Lighthouse and the ex-Deathstar.

You can be like Boston where there is the Old Man and the Parvo-Ridden Puppy. The synthesized notes of Sixime Son or Stepuen Arnold would do well in this wealthy market with much of a swing state in it.

I'm surprised that Conrad hasn't came out about this, he would've done that a lot earlier. But he's been quiet so apparently he may have FINALLY gotten the message. We shall see

18 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

You can be like Boston where there is the Old Man and the Parvo-Ridden Puppy. The synthesized notes of Sixime Son or Stepuen Arnold would do well in this wealthy market with much of a swing state in it.

What the heck are you talking about? WHDH and WBTS?

7 minutes ago, mre29 said:

What the heck are you talking about? WHDH and WBTS?

Old Man (Ansin) - Sunbeam - WHDH

Parvo-Ridden Puppy - Terrier- WFXT

Nobody can deny that Tegna and/or Scripps would be an improvement. Especially since Terrier is quickly shaping up to be a dumpster fire.

2 hours ago, skbl17 said:

Well, MCTYW had a good run at WNEP. Hope they're ready to C Clarity.

Well, if anything, the Talkback 16 segment will be a doozy when they do change the music.  This is how the viewers reacted to the new graphics...

We may not have the riots in the streets when WPVI DARED to change their version of MCTYW.....but we could have the start of a dumpster fire on top of Montage Mountain....

48 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I'm surprised that Conrad hasn't came out about this, he would've done that a lot earlier. But he's been quiet so apparently he may have FINALLY gotten the message. We shall see

Well, here I come!

Scripps and Gannettegna are becoming more and more like Sinclair and Nexstar. Buying stations only for reach, ego, and de-localization of content. A shadow of what Scripps and Gannett were in the 2000s when they were among the better owners.

At this point, I completely question the rumors of WCNC being sold.

The purchase of stations by Scripps is their biggest since buying Journal. The purchase of stations by Gannettegna is their biggest since they bought Belo and London.

And we have some stations going from one Deathstar to the other.

And one more thing: after Nexstar sells KASW to Scripps, there will be only one mega group having a presence here in Arizona: Gray.

8 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, if anything, the Talkback 16 segment will be a doozy when they do change the music.

Oh, shoot! I forgot about Talkback 16. WNEP, get ready because those old folks... hoo-boy!

2 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

Nobody can deny that Tegna and/or Scripps would be an improvement. Especially since Terrier is quickly shaping up to be a dumpster fire.

What makes you think it's "shaping up to be a dumpster fire"?

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived