Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

Have you seen the weather forecast in Iowa this week? I'd move the market to another state too.

In the email we received, it says Nexstar will divest WTKR/WGNT and WNEP, in addition to stations in the overlap markets, and perhaps more as we've speculated.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TheRob said:

Have you seen the weather forecast in Iowa this week? I'd move the market to another state too.

In the email we received, it says Nexstar will divest WTKR/WGNT and WNEP, in addition to stations in the overlap markets, and perhaps more as we've speculated.

I would breathe a sigh of relief if I'm a part of WNEP.

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I would breathe a sigh of relief if I'm a part of WNEP.

I wouldn’t.  Easy Sinclair pickup once their double secret probation’s over. They will drop WOLF so fast for a chance like that.

6 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I wouldn’t.  Easy Sinclair pickup once their double secret probation’s over. They will drop WOLF so fast for a chance like that.

Don't they still not officially own WOLF as the New Age deal has been in approval hell for years?

30 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I don't think Tribune wants to deal with Sinclair again though in any way, shape or form. WNEP is the dominant station, but it avoids having to break up the WBRE/WYOU duo, and Hampton Roads was the obvious move too. 

3 hours ago, TheRob said:

😆 I have a friend who lives in the Cedar Rapids area who has not been looking forward to the cold.

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Here's a thought: if Nexstar can keep the Tribune duo (both top 4, status quo), what is to prevent WISH and WNDY from going to Dispatch and/or Scripps to form duopolies with WTHR and WRTV? 

CBS and/or FOX, for one. It's a football market, so one of them will definitely try for WISH/WNDY.

Nexstar may keep 4/59, but I do think we're in for an affiliation swap in Indy once the dust settles.

33 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

CBS and/or FOX, for one. It's a football market, so one of them will definitely try for WISH/WNDY.

Nexstar may keep 4/59, but I do think we're in for an affiliation swap in Indy once the dust settles.

Of course, if either network offers Nexstar more for WTTV/WXIN than WISH/WNDY, Nexstar might suddenly decide to keep the latter pair.

5 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

I doubt that Sinclair would buy WNEP after the whole fiasco (not only that but they still refuse to admit the fact they misled both the FCC and Tribune) if we hear anything from Sinclair as far as any buying it'll come from the Regional Sports Nets that Disney has to sell but we're not going to hear anything from Sinclair as far as any buying on the broadcast TV side:

Translation: Sinclair isn't getting anything from Tribune (or anybody else for that matter on the broadcast TV side)

14 hours ago, mre29 said:

Of course, if either network offers Nexstar more for WTTV/WXIN than WISH/WNDY, Nexstar might suddenly decide to keep the latter pair.

Would any network be willing to buy either pair? I'm not so sure. 

1 hour ago, channel2 said:

Other than Moonves rattling sabers that one time, and the WLNY deal, has CBS demonstrated any interest in buying stations since the split? Even ABC seems to have shown more interest!

And generally speaking, other than Fox, none of the big three networks have shown any appetite for buying stations whatsoever and why should we expect anything different?

13 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

It appears that Nexstar will form duopolies in DC & PDX!

When I read the paperwork, I basically confirmed what I'd thought about Nexstar keeping WDCW and WDVM; it's just a matter of whether they plan to utilize WDVM's news department post-acquisition to provide a more stable news offering for WDCW.

As far as the KOIN/KRCW combo, it's legal now because the FCC eliminated its "eight voices test," when we were speculating a few years ago whether Tribune would be acquired by Nexstar, when a possible sale of Tribune Media was first floated, it was pointed out when I thought about a possible KOIN-KRCW pairing that Portland had too few stations then to permit a third duopoly. The elimination of the "voices" requirement made it so that KRCW does not have to continue operating as a standalone, given that it has no news department to rely on and as a CW affiliate, it's viewership pales in comparison to KATU, KGW, KPTV and KOIN enough that continuing to act as a standalone operation is relatively difficult.

Correct me if I'm wrong,  didn't Tribune cancel the Richmond produced news that aired on WDCW in anticipation of transitioning to WJLA, but that deal fell apart. Now, WDVM has a chance to get into the District itself.

10 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

When I read the paperwork, I basically confirmed what I'd thought about Nexstar keeping WDCW and WDVM; it's just a matter of whether they plan to utilize WDVM's news department post-acquisition to provide a more stable news offering for WDCW.

As far as the KOIN/KRCW combo, it's legal now because the FCC eliminated its "eight voices test," when we were speculating a few years ago whether Tribune would be acquired by Nexstar, when a possible sale of Tribune Media was first floated, it was pointed out when I thought about a possible KOIN-KRCW pairing that Portland had too few stations then to permit a third duopoly. The elimination of the "voices" requirement made it so that KRCW does not have to continue operating as a standalone, given that it has no news department to rely on and as a CW affiliate, it's viewership pales in comparison to KATU, KGW, KPTV and KOIN enough that continuing to act as a standalone operation is relatively difficult.

Should this deal go though, PDX will only have 7 voices: Sinclair, Nexstar, Tegna, Meredith, Oregon PB, Trinity, and Ion. If the 8 test was in effect, they'd have to go with a FSW.

40 minutes ago, JCB4TV said:

Correct me if I'm wrong,  didn't Tribune cancel the Richmond produced news that aired on WDCW in anticipation of transitioning to WJLA, but that deal fell apart. Now, WDVM has a chance to get into the District itself.

They canceled it because they didn’t find enough of an audience for it to make it profitable.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived