Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

3 hours ago, who?cares said:

According to FTV Live (taken with a grain of salt), Nexstar is ditching WISH in favor of WTTV (doesn't mention WXIN). 

Yeah I'm definitely taking that with a grain of salt. I have a hard time believing that. Nexstar has invested a lot into WISH, so why would they sell them? 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

Yeah I'm definitely taking that with a grain of salt. I have a hard time believing that. Nexstar has invested a lot into WISH, so why would they sell them? 

They wouldn’t. They won’t. Too much they would throw away if they sold WISH.

7 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

Plus, WTTV and WXIN are in the Top-4, while WISH and WNDY are 5th and 6th, respectively.

11 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

Wouldn't merely raiding WTTV of it's CBS affiliation and moving it back to WISH be the eaisest move? 

CBS might have something to say about that.

Considering WISH handles the master control for something like two dozen former LIN stations as well as traffic and some other internal operations for Nexstar, I find it very hard to believe they would be sold. That would be a lot of infrastructure to spread out among the stations, or find another one for the hub. But being Nexstar, anything for the bottom line.

59 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

Considering WISH handles the master control for something like two dozen former LIN stations as well as traffic and some other internal operations for Nexstar, I find it very hard to believe they would be sold. That would be a lot of infrastructure to spread out among the stations, or find another one for the hub. But being Nexstar, anything for the bottom line.

It's possible WISH has moved back into the top 4 in ratings, and if that is the case, it would have to be sold if they want either WXIN or WTTV/WTTK.

8 hours ago, mre29 said:

CBS might have something to say about that.

Has the WTTV era for CBS gone as badly as the period in the '90s when KSTW was their Seattle affiliate did? KIRO ended up getting CBS back!

35 minutes ago, channel2 said:

Has the WTTV era for CBS gone as badly as the period in the '90s when KSTW was their Seattle affiliate did? KIRO ended up getting CBS back!

How long is the current CBS affiliation agreement between CBS and Tribune with regards to WTTV?

Of course, when I made my original post, in my post-awakening grogginess I forgot that Tribune operates an MCR hub at WXIN/WTTV. If Nexstar decides to dump WISH they can transition the hub to the existing one at WXIN/WTTV.

2 hours ago, channel2 said:

It hasn’t been pretty their newscasts are barely pulling .1s (11pm the exception). They are in 5th place by far. 

FTVLive this morning indicates Nexstar is planning to sell WATN and keep WREG (no word on WLMT). It also says Nexstar may sell the building WREG is currently located in and move the station to a new building in a different part of town. As noted above, probably take with a grain of salt until more confirmed information is out there.

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

Give WOI, WATN, and WISH to Tegna Media.

I personally want WREG to be with TEGNA or Meredith.  I wish Meredith would get a station in their home market. I was thinking WHO, but WOI up in the air.   As for WISH, I would like it to be in Ed Asin's hands. He knows what it likes to lose an affiliation for his stations.

15 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

They poured a lot of money into all three of those stations of late, too.

I suppose this means WYOU/WBRE - Nexstar's first acquisition - probably isn't safe either.

The problem there is that they would have to sell BOTH of them, since that's a grandfathered LMA that would be broken if tied to WNEP. If Mission doesn't run it alongside the new owner, they would (I believe) have to go to separate owners.

But this probably belongs in the Speculatron.

21 hours ago, channel2 said:

The reason why KIRO got CBS back was because Viacom got KSTW in a trade with Cox (who first bought KSTW, but ended up buying the stronger KIRO when Belo decided to keep KING) and wanted to make it a "UPN O&O," thereby reversing the affiliation swap of two years earlier. 

Latest: There could be two spinoffs to keep Nexstar under the ownership cap. One of them could change the landscape of local tv like it's 1988 again. 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/1/15/nexstar-to-spin-off-tribunes-new-york-station

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/1/15/could-it-be-1988-all-over-again-in-miami 

Sidenote: Couldn't Ansin move the CW to WHDH, close up WLVI + call it a day please? Otherwise, as First Take says "Embrace Debate" here.

4 minutes ago, justin2kx said:

Latest: There could be two spinoffs to keep Nexstar under the ownership cap. One of them could change the landscape of local tv like it's 1988 again. 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/1/15/nexstar-to-spin-off-tribunes-new-york-station

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/1/15/could-it-be-1988-all-over-again-in-miami 

Sidenote: Couldn't Ansin move the CW to WHDH, close up WLVI + call it a day please? Otherwise, as First Take says "Embrace Debate" here.

I would wait to see what happens with Cox but if Fox doesn't use their right of first refusal to buy back WFXT it would be a sign that Fox would probably pursue Sunbeam. They have the money to make a wild well-above-FMV offer that Ed couldn't refuse.

31 minutes ago, justin2kx said:

And here comes TEGNA.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived