Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Armstrong Williams seems to think he can pull a fast one with the Tribune-Nexstar merger, having written an op-ed in Broadcasting & Cable making a de facto open inquiry about acquiring some of the stations that will likely need to be spun off through the deal. Considering Howard Stirk Holdings is basically a partner company of Sinclair's, and given the latter is being sued by Tribune, he's grasping at straws despite having a point. A minority owner could seek out some of the stations, it's just that Williams has the least chance of getting a deal done, given the bad blood between Tribune and Sinclair.

14 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Armstrong Williams seems to think he can pull a fast one with the Tribune-Nexstar merger, having written an op-ed in Broadcasting & Cable making a de facto open inquiry about acquiring some of the stations that will likely need to be spun off through the deal. Considering Howard Stirk Holdings is basically a partner company of Sinclair's, and given the latter is being sued by Tribune, he's grasping at straws despite having a point. A minority owner could seek out some of the stations, it's just that Williams has the least chance of getting a deal done, given the bad blood between Tribune and Sinclair.

I wouldn't count him as "minority ownership" at all. After all, it is Sinclair that is calling the shots and funding them, it is a shell company and not truly a minority-owned company.

2 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Uhhh... isn't he aware of the fact that partner company he works for (Sinclair) is not only being sued by Tribune but is also on "probation" by the FCC over its misconduct during the deal? I can promise you that not even Perry Sook (for what all we know as greedy as he gets) will want to do business with Sinclair (not even with the divestitures.

I know this may sound repetitive, but until SOMEONE in Hunt Valley wakes up and realize why they can't buy any stations (not even from divestment deals from another company) these are the facts that I'll keep bringing up in here every time someone in Hunt Valley and opens up their mouth claiming that they want to buy more stations

8 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Uhhh... isn't he aware of the fact that partner company he works for (Sinclair) is not only being sued by Tribune but is also on "probation" by the FCC over its misconduct during the deal? I can promise you that not even Perry Sook (for what all we know as greedy as he gets) will want to do business with Sinclair (not even with the divestitures.

He is. Why the heck do you think he's doing this in the first place?

1 minute ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

He is. Why the heck do you think he's doing this in the first place?

His company is just as greedy as Sinclair is, that's the part I can't seem to figure out is why Sinclair is insisting on buying everything when everybody on here knows they're basically on probation at the FCC. Bottom line is neither Armstrong Williams or Chris Ripley has ANY clue what they're doing and I don't want to hear another word from them until the day I read an article that states "Sinclair has resolved it's lack of candor issues at the FCC"

3 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

His company is just as greedy as Sinclair is, that's the part I can't seem to figure out is why Sinclair is insisting on buying everything when everybody on here knows they're basically on probation at the FCC. Bottom line is neither Armstrong Williams or Chris Ripley has ANY clue what they're doing and I don't want to hear another word from them until the day I read an article that states "Sinclair has resolved it's lack of candor issues at the FCC"

His company? He has no company. His company is no more of a company than Glencairn/Cunningham was and is.

1 minute ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

His company? He has no company. His company is no more of a company than Glencairn/Cunningham was and is.

Of course, and that's why Armstrong Williams is not any better than anyone else who works at Sinclair, SBG, Cunningham, Howard Stik all greedy, have no clue or understanding on anything related to the broadcasting business. Period.

1 hour ago, Ramona said:

Armstrong Williams may be involved in production, but he's not in the broadcasting business without Sinclair's support.

That's the truth, it's just unfortunate that he has to get Sinclair's support. If he wanted support from the bigger group he could've gone with Nexstar, TEGNA or something but not with a Hunt Valley, MD.-based Company that shall not be mentioned

17 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Armstrong Williams should know better that to open his mouth and beg to buy more stations, given that Howard Stirk is operating under the same pretenses as their proposed car dealership licensee of WGN-TV, a proposition that undoubtedly caused the other Republican commissioners to reject their Tribune merger attempt and prompted Pai to actually display some toughness. It’s like he doesn’t think that anyone is going to look into Stirk’s operations and find out that he’s someone who is only, ONLY in the business because he’s very close friends with David Smith.

Science is wrong. We have found something way more dense than a black hole.

I don't know why Armstrong has to open his mouth considering that Sinclair (and likely its sidecars) are on indefinite timeout. I'll be blunt: if Sinclair had divested to the proper channels instead of trying to sidecar WGN to a F-ING CAR DEALERSHIP, Sinclair might've actually got Tribune, but they got greedy and stupid.

33 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

I don't know why Armstrong has to open his mouth considering that Sinclair (and likely its sidecars) are on indefinite timeout. I'll be blunt: if Sinclair had divested to the proper channels instead of trying to sidecar WGN to a F-ING CAR DEALERSHIP, Sinclair might've actually got Tribune, but they got greedy and stupid.

Not to mention they should’ve been honest and straightforward in the first place.

10 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

And what has Sinclair done since the merger collapsed? More of this stupid garbage they did during the entire Tribune merger process. Sinclair has already damaged their reputation as a business by not being honest with the FCC, they're doing further damage to their reputation by not admitting to the misrepresentation and quite frankly this is the reason why the ALJ is still sitting on the case (and more than likely the next Administrative Law Judge will probably just sit on the case and do nothing about it) and ultimately it's going to cost Sinclair their license to broadcast.

Just to bring folks up to speed on WDVM - they do produce 3 regional newscasts for the market(a la WFMZ): there are Hagerstown/Western MD/Southern PA (WDVM News), Northern Virginia - Alexandria up through Loudoun County+Winchester (NoVa News), and Frederick down through Montgomery County (I-270 News) newscasts that often cover topics/news that the DC stations pass over (often softer stories or community news).

Putting a newscast for WDCW would be easy, as they already have a chunk of the product in place...

Jim

41 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

And what has Sinclair done since the merger collapsed? More of this stupid garbage they did during the entire Tribune merger process. Sinclair has already damaged their reputation as a business by not being honest with the FCC, they're doing further damage to their reputation by not admitting to the misrepresentation and quite frankly this is the reason why the ALJ is still sitting on the case (and more than likely the next Administrative Law Judge will probably just sit on the case and do nothing about it) and ultimately it's going to cost Sinclair their license to broadcast.

Which brings up a good question:  Aren't the Tribune stations still tied up in that case? I imagine Nexstar's purchase won't be able to go through the ALJ deals with the case.

3 minutes ago, mre29 said:

Which brings up a good question:  Aren't the Tribune stations still tied up in that case? I imagine Nexstar's purchase won't be able to go through the ALJ deals with the case.

I don't think so, it's a Sinclair issue since they were the buyer of Tribune and not the other way around. If anything, Tribune had that DOJ case about the meddling with the sales and advertising that was reached to a consent decree with the DOJ a few weeks ago, so Nexstar is free to go ahead and get the Tribune deal completed

21 hours ago, mre29 said:

If they are, Tribune needs a new lawyer.

On 12/11/2018 at 9:58 AM, NEOMatrix said:

Armstrong is merely a puppet for David Smith. No one in that company is the least bit self-aware about what they did to themselves. Good for us, bad for them.

I won’t be surprised to see them try to bid for some of the divestitures and Nexstar refuses to do business with them.

51 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

Armstrong is merely a puppet for David Smith. No one in that company is the least bit self-aware about what they did to themselves. Good for us, bad for them.

I won’t be surprised to see them try to bid for some of the divestitures and Nexstar refuses to do business with them.

As they should. Sook may be a greedy bastard but he is a smart greedy bastard and therefore, he will NOT do ANY business with the Hunt Valley folks

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

As they should. Sook may be a greedy bastard but he is a smart greedy bastard and therefore, he will NOT do ANY business with the Hunt Valley folks

Getting a bit off-topic, I hate ALL greedy bastards, especially Perry. (my nickname for him is "The Psychopath that Shall Not BE Even Named Anyways" due to the fact that Media General has been dissolved in that infamous merger, and how the stations were treated.)

**Enough said, Mr. Quartermaine! Let's go back to the topic!**

5 hours ago, QuartermaineTriadCLT said:

Getting a bit off-topic, I hate ALL greedy bastards, especially Perry. (my nickname for him is "The Psychopath that Shall Not BE Even Named Anyways" due to the fact that Media General has been dissolved in that infamous merger, and how the stations were treated.)

Believe it or not, Nexstar has actually run the ex-MG stations okay for now. How do I know? I used to live in a market with a MG-turned-Nexstar station (WKBN/WYTV). They've done a few decent things like keep veteran talent and even added newscast (ie. made WYFX's 7-9am newscast live finally). Granted, the Youngstown Nexstar duo still plays second-fiddle to locally-owned WFMJ, but at least they're keeping 21 on its toes again compared to 10-20 years ago.

19 hours ago, QuartermaineTriadCLT said:

Still Perry Sook is a smart greedy bastard, as for Media General, the fact that somehow someway Sook hasn't screwed up the former Media General and LIN stations is an indicator that some of the former LIN and Media General executives have taken some control away from Perry Sook (and depending upon your point of view, it's either a good thing or a bad thing)

Oh and another thing, the Nexstar-Media General merger is a classic example on how you get a deal the size it was completed without fighting the FCC or DOJ about divestitures and Sinclair set an example with the Tribune merger how you can turn a merger from a "slam-dunk approval" to your BFF that's also the Chairman of the FCC, sending the merger to the ALJ and killing the deal because of the stupidity of the Smith's

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived