Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
David Salter JR

George HW Bush dies at 94

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, David Salter JR said:

NBC's coverage is optional to stations

Optional to stations that weren’t in network at the time. 

As for the pooling I spoke with a CNN/Photog/Engineer. CNN’s the pool chair coordinating everything but the networks can take any different shots- with ABC covering the Cathedral,  NBC Capitol Hill, CBS is covering the parade and departure at JB Andrews and Fox is in Texas. 

Edit: Save for the west coast all NBC stations are expected to carry the SR from the start. The west coast had the option of preempting the 9AM ET hour which was mainly filler.

Edited by rkolsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NBC has two special reports for Thursday. 

The first from 10:50~12:30ET is the funeral service at St Martin’s in Houston.

The second is at ~4:25pm and scheduled to last an hour is when the train arrives in College Station through the arrival at Texas A&M. 

Both reports are optional to those who are local.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FOX will carry the houston funeral service and burial in college station as level 2 SR. Shep will anchor the houston service with Harris Faulkner anchoring the college station burial ceremony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the Houston funeral was going to be private and invite-only.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mre29 said:

I thought the Houston funeral was going to be private and invite-only.

 

Wasn’t McCain’s Arizona funeral that way?

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a little checking. It's the burial service that's going to be private.

So, I'm curious:  Are the Houston stations doing their own coverage today or just going with their respective networks? And what are the Bryan/College Station stations doing?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I'm at work, I have no idea what's actually on TV, but I've had KPRC's live stream open in a tab for over an hour now. Not listening to the audio, though, as my headphones aren't long enough to reach the headphone jack on my computer.

 

bushtrain_kprc.png

Edited by mre29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danderson500 said:

Is there a reason why some SR's are optional?

 network affiliates lose a lot of ad revenue when they carry long-form news coverage and most program directors likely don't feel like dealing with phone calls from irate viewers about missing their shows. If you are talking about FOX specifically, a good number of their affiliates don't have full news operations so there isn't anyone who can go to the GM to get permission to put an SR on the air. Additionally, FOX doesn't view turning on the splicer and overriding affiliates outside of network time as something worth doing unless it's a major national disaster, plus, a majority of their stations would prefer to cover major breaking news locally whenever possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Salter JR said:

 network affiliates lose a lot of ad revenue when they carry long-form news coverage and most program directors likely don't feel like dealing with phone calls from irate viewers about missing their shows. If you are talking about FOX specifically, a good number of their affiliates don't have full news operations so there isn't anyone who can go to the GM to get permission to put an SR on the air. Additionally, FOX doesn't view turning on the splicer and overriding affiliates outside of network time as something worth doing unless it's a major national disaster, plus, a majority of their stations would prefer to cover major breaking news locally whenever possible.

Yes and no. 

Fox isn’t the one who turns on the splicer, it’s operated at the affiliate level. The same command sent down by network to run a Level 1 is the same command sent down at 7:59 PM ET to start primetime. The splicer only responds to 2 commands: Splice to Network/Splice to Local. It can be bypassed, especially if the station wanted to do local longform breaking news coverage (think WNYW/WTTG on 9/11) 

It’s not a tool that Fox uses to keep the affiliates “in line”, it’s mainly for the affiliates’ use... and comes in handy, especially if the affiliate wanted to run a severe weather crawl/map or school closings/delays ticker during network programming.

The Splicer’s main purpose is to ensure that the affiliates’ video signal is the best possible, and can bypass anything obstructing good video quality ... not some tool Fox uses to ensure complete compliance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 3:11 PM, ColDayNews said:

Yes and no. 

Fox isn’t the one who turns on the splicer, it’s operated at the affiliate level. The same command sent down by network to run a Level 1 is the same command sent down at 7:59 PM ET to start primetime. The splicer only responds to 2 commands: Splice to Network/Splice to Local. It can be bypassed, especially if the station wanted to do local longform breaking news coverage (think WNYW/WTTG on 9/11) 

It’s not a tool that Fox uses to keep the affiliates “in line”, it’s mainly for the affiliates’ use... and comes in handy, especially if the affiliate wanted to run a severe weather crawl/map or school closings/delays ticker during network programming.

The Splicer’s main purpose is to ensure that the affiliates’ video signal is the best possible, and can bypass anything obstructing good video quality ... not some tool Fox uses to ensure complete compliance.

I think it was mentioned before that Fox wanted it's network signal sent out as clean as possible (I suppose as few frame syncs and other gear required).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.