George HW Bush dies at 94

David Salter JR

4 minutes ago, ColDayNews said:

The last time a President died — Ford — NBC gave the affiliates the option to run Days of our Lives and Passions in overnight hours. Same as with the Kavanaugh hearing. NBC offered a feed that went out at 7pm EDT for the affiliates to tape and run in the overnight hours or on a weekend afternoon as a make-good. 

because Days tapes way in advance, they aren't easily able to just push an episode back like the other soaps

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, David Salter JR said:

because Days tapes way in advance, they aren't easily able to just push an episode back like the other soaps

They can just slide the episode schedule back a day. 

On 12/1/2018 at 1:38 AM, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

Would not be surprised to see the network morning and evening shows going with the weekday crew later on today.

That's exceptionally rare and I wouldn't expect to see that happen except in the case of a major national disaster.

What does happen on the weekend occasionally is the chief anchor being called in to anchor an ongoing special report for major news.  But you typically don't see a weekend show's anchors being swapped for the weekday anchors at the national level.  

You do sometimes see it at the local level, though.

3 hours ago, danderson500 said:

ABC says they are covering everything beginning Monday. If i heard right David is leading coverage, shouldn't George be doing that?

Maybe George will handle day of (Wednesday's) coverage?

11 hours ago, mountainave said:

That's exceptionally rare and I wouldn't expect to see that happen except in the case of a major national disaster.

What does happen on the weekend occasionally is the chief anchor being called in to anchor an ongoing special report for major news.  But you typically don't see a weekend show's anchors being swapped for the weekday anchors at the national level.  

You do sometimes see it at the local level, though.

It happens where the morning people would start a report, then the main anchor comes in.

I saw it on ABC a lot where Charles Gibson or Diane Sawyer would start a report, and then Peter Jennings would come in. Not sure about NBC or CBS.

8 hours ago, danderson500 said:

It happens where the morning people would start a report, then the main anchor comes in.

I saw it on ABC a lot where Charles Gibson or Diane Sawyer would start a report, and then Peter Jennings would come in. Not sure about NBC or CBS.

Correct, though that would've been a weekday, not a weekend as was originally referenced.

17 hours ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

The Caps honored President Bush this afternoon before their game with Anaheim.  

LA Kings did the same thing last night prior to their game against the Hurricanes. 

FOX also made a KRIV simulcast available for the procession. WXIX took KRIV during their morning show and joined Fox News at 11:03ET. 

I’m just curious as to whether simulcasting the network’s affiliate was a decision made at the station level or does FOX make affiliate simulcasts/clean feeds available during breaking news if the network isn’t exactly ready to go with a special report? (i.e. FNC in a commercial break, opinion show, no anchor/correspondent for flashcam, etc.) 

5 hours ago, ColDayNews said:

FOX also made a KRIV simulcast available for the procession. WXIX took KRIV during their morning show and joined Fox News at 11:03ET. 

I’m just curious as to whether simulcasting the network’s affiliate was a decision made at the station level or does FOX make affiliate simulcasts/clean feeds available during breaking news if the network isn’t exactly ready to go with a special report? (i.e. FNC in a commercial break, opinion show, no anchor/correspondent for flashcam, etc.) 

i don't know how if FOX makes affiliate coverage available to stations during breaking news, however, my educated guess is that affiliate feeds can be used to fill time until the network is ready to go into special report mode

9 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Got an email from APT, looks like NBC will start their special report on Wednesday at 9AM ET and is scheduled for four hours. 

That is good news for days of our lives fans because nbc will probably be off at 1pm eastern allowing the soap to air on the east coast

Watching NBC's coverage of Bush 41's funeral right now, and at 10 AM, Lester Holt said "we'd like to pause for a moment to allow NBC stations to join us."

Are there affiliates that pre-empted the 9 AM coverage?  I know WBTS in Boston didn't.

3 minutes ago, kdex86 said:

Watching NBC's coverage of Bush 41's funeral right now, and at 10 AM, Lester Holt said "we'd like to pause for a moment to allow NBC stations to join us."

Are there affiliates that pre-empted the 9 AM coverage?  I know WBTS in Boston didn't.

NBC's coverage is optional to stations

ABC and CBS are now on, FOX will probably start level 2 coverage shortly, NBC has been on since 9am

Archived