Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TheRob

KTVA newsroom sustains major earthquake damage

The earthquake in Anchorage this morning knocked all the TV stations off air. I would assume many radio stations were affected too.

17 minutes ago, TheRob said:

The earthquake in Anchorage this morning knocked all the TV stations off air. I would assume many radio stations were affected too.

KTVA’s newsroom is a mess.

Made this its own thread, as the damage is quite serious for KTVA per the live walkthrough. Fallen ceiling tiles, broken cameras and monitors, shattered glass, and water on the floor. You get the sense the building will need structural repairs in addition to the cleanup effort, and with KTVA having no sister stations, that might be a little harder.

Edited by Ramona
  • Like 1

Does the cable company GCI have any other offices? If they are in any decent shape, they could work out of them. But yeah that is awful. I hope there were no injuries there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ramona said:

Made this its own thread, as the damage is quite serious for KTVA per the live walkthrough. Fallen ceiling tiles, broken cameras and monitors, shattered glass, and water on the floor. You get the sense the building will need structural repairs in addition to the cleanup effort, and with KTVA having no sister stations, that might be a little harder.

It's such a shame. GCI did such a nice job with the KTVA studios after they bought it. It's going to be extremely difficult for them to recover.

Neither KTVA nor KTUU has a live stream going at this point.

• Like 1

KTVA is still streaming over Facebook, just walking around the building for the most part.

• Like 3

KTVA also is live-streaming coverage of the earthquake aftermath on its website, although the quake might have affected the audio equipment, as the stream has very muffled audio.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

KTVA just pulled off a liveshot inside a CBS SR at Noon PST....

That was bad ass!

To get a liveshot out of KTVA during these circumstances this early into the story is a giant score!

Plus...

They were thrashed...and they are in freaking Alaska.

Nice Job!

Now get those cameras in the city and lets's see some real kick-butt coverage.

Edited by Eat News
  • Like 2

Being from and having lived in Alaska for a long-ass time...I don’t know.

But I can bet KTVA and KTUU will no doubt pull a WSB with their earthquake coverage (I assume all programming has been preempted)!

I was following on an Anchorage radio station. I had thought all the stations were knocked off air. Is it all one multiopoly (if that's even a thing, like a duopoly, but more stations)?

Based on the app icons in that "Navigation" folder, I have a feeling that 51,533 refers to just emails. 😯

They’re still picking up the pieces and have already went back on the air, but because of the way they handled the earthquake coverage on social media, I have a feeling KTVA will earn Emmys (regional and maybe a national) and possibly a Peabody; the latter a first for Alaska.