Tegna stations online video with no graphics

PTVNews

I was recently on a Tegna station website and noticed the station's videos and live stream were missing lower third graphics and some transition animations. Obviously the video was coming from a clean program feed. I wondered whether it was done on purpose, or if no one was paying attention to what source they were using.

Well, I browsed about 6 other Tegna station sites and found the same thing. Does anyone know if Tegna has mandated stations use a clean feed for online videos, and if so, why?

I'd think with all the effort put towards graphics, especially lower thirds with text, they'd want people to see that info.  It's also odd to hear the transition sounds effects and not see it.

21 hours ago, PTVNews said:

I was recently on a Tegna station website and noticed the station's videos and live stream were missing lower third graphics and some transition animations. Obviously the video was coming from a clean program feed. I wondered whether it was done on purpose, or if no one was paying attention to what source they were using.

Well, I browsed about 6 other Tegna station sites and found the same thing. Does anyone know if Tegna has mandated stations use a clean feed for online videos, and if so, why?

I'd think with all the effort put towards graphics, especially lower thirds with text, they'd want people to see that info.  It's also odd to hear the transition sounds effects and not see it.

I have noticed KGW in particular does that. KUSA certainly doesn't. I haven't paid much attention to the other Tegna stations. KGW also is one of the few that uploads the entire A blocks of several newscasts every day, which I think is something more stations should do.

Do you remember the sites you visited?

I’ve certainly never heard a completely clean feed being posted online. However I have seen ones that don’t include the time, their bug or chip or ticker as they likely are taking a control room output rather than a straight broadcast feed.  

I’ve live-streamed WVEC and they don’t have the bug and ticker on their stream. Just the L3.

A lot of the stations don’t put their graphics on the videos they upload to their websites and YouTube accounts, they just have the website on the top-left corner.

• 1 year later...

I didn't want to create a whole new thread, but this is semi-related. WTHR has been using the Tegna graphics since the end of March (complete with everything on their web videos). Just a few minutes ago, their old graphics (minus the time/temp/peacock block that sits to the left of the 13 bug, as well as the weather ticker at the bottom) made a comeback on their web stream just a few minutes ago:

9E695D87-161D-4234-A309-D4F8FEFB2254.jpeg

It's really weird to see it a few weeks after it's mostly disappeared (perhaps running the stream off of backup equipment?), but also demonstrates how modular that whole package was.

2 hours ago, ecs0013 said:

I didn't want to create a whole new thread, but this is semi-related. WTHR has been using the Tegna graphics since the end of March (complete with everything on their web videos). Just a few minutes ago, their old graphics (minus the time/temp/peacock block that sits to the left of the 13 bug, as well as the weather ticker at the bottom) made a comeback on their web stream just a few minutes ago:

Depending on how they do their web streams, it could be that whatever software they use either doesn't have a new template with the new look, or the person who initiated the steam, often a web producer (not a technical director), forgot (or didn't really notice or care) to put up the new look. Stations sometimes "recreate" their on-air look with the built in basic graphics system of whatever streaming software they are using. They aren't actually using an output from a "real" broadcast graphics system for the web stream.

3 hours ago, PTVNews said:

Depending on how they do their web streams, it could be that whatever software they use either doesn't have a new template with the new look, or the person who initiated the steam, often a web producer (not a technical director), forgot (or didn't really notice or care) to put up the new look. Stations sometimes "recreate" their on-air look with the built in basic graphics system of whatever streaming software they are using. They aren't actually using an output from a "real" broadcast graphics system for the web stream.

Yeah, that was kind of my assumption—that feed was going on the same time as the 6-6:30pm newscast, so I'm guessing that something wasn't updated or they were using a different mechanism for that (kind of like when Fox or ESPN are doing multiple sporting events and you get the backup-backup truck with the old graphics).

I think the ABC O&Os were doing a wonky version of the recreated graphics a few years back, everything was scaled to a bit bigger and simpler for smaller screens (think iPhone 4-5S-era), so it "matched" but did look off if you really looked closely and cared. For the one above, the proportions look right (and they've done some different variations with components added or removed even on the broadcasts over the years), but still not a difficult lower third/bug to create by hand either.

There's been one or two promos that WTHR is still running with their old look and I'm sure they'll disappear soon enough, and the web site template will probably change to the standard Tegna one.

For a medium-large market station, they've had some pretty good and flexible graphics packages over the years (my favorites were '03-'09 and '15-'20), so it'll be less of a surprise now that we'll probably see any Tegna changes filter across other stations, too.

Archived