WSAZ getting a new set

News Fan

2 hours ago, JayPhil said:

WSAZ’s evening anchors have been sharing videos on Facebook of construction in both Huntington and Charleston studios. Amanda Barren, one of the anchors, just posted a video of the temporary set in Charleston.

Is that in a bomb shelter?? Lol

— Matt

It looks like the whole station is being updated rather than just the news set. BTW, don’t forget they have two studios, the main building in Huntington and the smaller building/studio in Charleston. So that means 2 news sets. 

3 hours ago, padrechuck said:

It looks like the whole station is being updated rather than just the news set. BTW, don’t forget they have two studios, the main building in Huntington and the smaller building/studio in Charleston. So that means 2 news sets. 

One for WSAZ and the other for (what used to be but now only on Suddenlink) W16CE

On 11/28/2018 at 10:13 PM, news89 said:

After 12 years a new set finally. Looks like the hallways and other area's are getting update.

How old is their building? Last time I had been at WKYT they still had a lot of the wood paneling on all the walls. Maybe Gray is updating some of their buildings. 

7 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

How old is their building? Last time I had been at WKYT they still had a lot of the wood paneling on all the walls. Maybe Gray is updating some of their buildings. 

WSAZ has been at the corner of 5th Avenue and 7th street since December 1971 in downtown Huntington. 

On 11/30/2018 at 11:18 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

One for WSAZ and the other for (what used to be but now only on Suddenlink) W16CE

The WSAZ Charleston separate feed no longer exists.  I asked Amanda Barren about it on Twitter back earlier this year. I noticed in April the WSAZ Charleston bug no longer appears on air when I was that area. Amanda is still based in Charleston while Tim is still in Huntington.

Looking at further video and photos on WSAZ Newschannel 3 Facebook page, it appears that their new set is more a variation of WYMT, their sister station in Hazard, Kentucky.  The first photo is WYMT news set, second photo is WSAZ news set under construction. 

42BDFA27-F1CA-4906-92EA-D068D8C1B82D.jpeg

67E5A5C6-D02A-4622-A0AE-228A73C0D147.jpeg

Both studios are being updated.  In answer to the satellite delay question, there is really no delay during the newscast. They are normally in the two cities, but the newscasters no longer “split” into a Huntington based newscast and a Charleston based newscast.  Tim and Amanda appear in side by side split screen at the beginning and multiple times during the newscast. And they both say good night at the end. It is about 50 miles between Charleston and Huntington. 

I am currently in the Charleston-Huntington market for a few days.  The spilt has been gone almost just over 1 year. Years ago there was a noticeable delay.  Yes it does have more of WYMT feel than my original WNDU feel post. What shall be interesting if the keep NBC Collection or move to new pack and what graphics they will get. WSAZ is the market leader and they don't change things that often. The last 2 sets have lasted approx 12 to 13 years. The "3" has been around since the mid 70s I hope Gray doesn't butcher that famous "3".

21 minutes ago, news89 said:

I am currently in the Charleston-Huntington market for a few days.  The spilt has been gone almost just over 1 year. Years ago there was a noticeable delay.  Yes it does have more of WYMT feel than my original WNDU feel post. What shall be interesting if the keep NBC Collection or move to new pack and what graphics they will get. WSAZ is the market leader and they don't change things that often. The last 2 sets have lasted approx 12 to 13 years. The "3" has been around since the mid 70s I hope Gray doesn't butcher that famous "3".

I don’t think that style “3“  or the font for the call letters will be  going anywhere. I think it has been that same style since they moved into their current building in 1971.  The only thing that has changed has it they used to go by “WSAZ television 3“/ “Newscenter 3”, and finally changed to the current WSAZ Newschannel 3  I just moved from Huntington to Saint Marys West Virginia about six months ago. I’m good friends with Tim Irr, their main anchor.  Also good friends with a gentleman who works in their digital advertising. Both really good people. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived