WCBS 3.8/9

WNYW 1.6/5

11pm

WNBC 5.9/14

WABC 5.2/13

WCBS 4.9/13

It’s becoming  competitive  In New York City

On 11/30/2018 at 2:43 PM, Myron Falwell said:

First of all, a station like WWJ has no expenses whatsoever. It's a pass-through station. That being said, they make money as a CBS O&O with no local newscasts of any sort. If they weren't, then CBS would have unloaded that station long ago and wiped their hands of that mess..

It is true, adding newscasts nets more revenue that a station can take directly as opposed to giving up a portion of ad revenue for syndicated inventory ... KSNV in the waning days of Jim Rogers, KCNC during their NBC O&O era, and WJW in the present day are three excellent examples of this. But as we've seen with additional newscasts, it's not an increase in quality, but more of the same... or additional fluff and soft feature reports.

Compare that with the scenario in Cleveland. (Longer established station WUAB produced a newscast in '95 for the younger WOIO, CBS affiliate, did that technically at the time served as a pass-through?Just curious)

Still waiting for the miami results.

Everytime WRAL is on, they are #1. No surprise really because they've been #1 forever.

#1 from 4:30-7:00 a.m. (beating WTVD and WNCN)
#1 at Noon (all three in the market run hour-long news at noon and WRAL)
#1 at 4:00 and 4:30 (beating WTVD)
#1 at 5:00, 5:30 and 6:00 (beating WTVD and WNCN)
#1 at 10:00 on WRAZ (beating WTVD on WLFL)
#1 at 11:00 (beating WTVD and WNCN)

It didn't specify as to how WRAL's 7:00-9:00 a.m. morning news on WRAZ did against the rest but it did say it beat WNCN's CBS This Morning.

http://www.capitolbroadcasting.com/2018/11/29/wral-is-the-most-watched-local-news/

It seems the Tegna-ITIS is beginning to take hold at WKYC.  How long before it starts messing up their ratings?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/12/28/tegna-selling-out-journalism-to-make-a-buck

(ads masquerading as news)

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/12/28/this-is-tegna

(i'm 50/50 on this one, but it leans a little on going too far...)

Between WKYC, WEWS and WOIO....WEWS seems the most watchable and has the most to gain. 

I have serious doubts about Gray's ability to run WOIO/WUAB given that Raycom couldn't even do it, and WKYC is getting trashed more by the minute by Tegna.

WOIO's on air product looks horrible and their small-market stations in places like Hattiesburg and Biloxi put out a far better product.

I can overlook a lottery ball 5 logo for a station that still puts out something that somewhat resembles quality journalism.

And as long as WJW remains WJW, they'll rule Cleveland television until the end of time....

WEWS is already on the right track with their morning news getting better in ratings.  Hopefully, that brings some stability to the AM anchor team after years of constant changes.  They did bring their Noon news back to a half-hour once again after being an hour briefly.  If WEWS adds a fourth weeknight anchor, they might increase more in evenings.

If Nexstar messes with WJW, could that station lose its dominance?  Especially if a lot of talent leaves, particularly the morning show.  Could Gray improve from Raycom on WOIO-WUAB?  Cleveland 19 needs to go.

5 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It seems the Tegna-ITIS is beginning to take hold at WKYC.  How long before it starts messing up their ratings?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/12/28/tegna-selling-out-journalism-to-make-a-buck

(ads masquerading as news)

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/12/28/this-is-tegna

(i'm 50/50 on this one, but it leans a little on going too far...)

Between WKYC, WEWS and WOIO....WEWS seems the most watchable and has the most to gain. 

I have serious doubts about Gray's ability to run WOIO/WUAB given that Raycom couldn't even do it, and WKYC is getting trashed more by the minute by Tegna.

WOIO's on air product looks horrible and their small-market stations in places like Hattiesburg and Biloxi put out a far better product.

I can overlook a lottery ball 5 logo for a station that still puts out something that somewhat resembles quality journalism.

And as long as WJW remains WJW, they'll rule Cleveland television until the end of time....

I watch Newscenter8 most of the time. I do watch WKYC at 11pm. I use to watch Donavan Live on my old work schedule.  TV5 Eyewitness News is ok at times.  Hometeam19/43 is blah I've never been a fan of 19 even when I lived out of market I did watch 43 before it can more of 19 product.   Everyone by knows I always call the stations by old names. I agree Cleveland 19 name has got to go.

7 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

WEWS is already on the right track with their morning news getting better in ratings.  Hopefully, that brings some stability to the AM anchor team after years of constant changes.  They did bring their Noon news back to a half-hour once again after being an hour briefly.  If WEWS adds a fourth weeknight anchor, they might increase more in evenings.

If Nexstar messes with WJW, could that station lose its dominance?  Especially if a lot of talent leaves, particularly the morning show.  Could Gray improve from Raycom on WOIO-WUAB?  Cleveland 19 needs to go.

I think WJW could be divested again (especially if the FOX sub-deal resurfaces).  It's a high-market VHF station that would be counted as a whole regardless of the UHF discount.  Plus the fact it's changed little since the O&O days would make it a very difficult station for Nexstar to run.  They could screw it up easily....

Not November but a yearly ratings from NBC News. They’re claiming it’s their third year in a row winning Today, Nightly News, Dateline (first run episodes) and Meet The Press were #1 from 1/1/18 through 12/23/18.

However when you look at the link there’s a caveat they’ve won the 18-49 and 25-54 demos.

Other notes: they were tops in broadcast for the demo and total viewers for the midterms during primetime* election coverage, and the most viewers of the royal wedding with Prince Harry and Meghan Markel.

*Im curious how they calculated it - they and all the networks provided rolling coverage until 11 p.m. PT.

Also, WBFF just ran a spot during MSNBC claiming they were number one in the morning (5 to 10a.m.) and at night (not sure whether the 10 or 11 shows). Both listed the demos. If that’s the case WBAL and WJZ have right to be conncerned.

I think they’re playing with numbers where its average rating over five hours or 90 minutes.

I don’t see how they could improve so drastically within a year especially with Fox’s stagnant lineup unless TNF is bringing in a surge of viewers. 

On 12/5/2018 at 7:56 PM, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Yes, I noticed some little changes on WSOC, like they have Erica and Scott on 5-630, 10, and 11, and Allison is basically a reporter now, changed the backdrop of the set, and Paul Boyd (yuck) reporting in the morning. It is definitely becoming a mess at 9, hopefully Cox will move that ND soon. 

Mike Olivera was hired by the new GM at WSOC. They both had success together in Pittsburgh, and the Charlotte ratings never fully recovered from 2015/2016 under the previous ND. He interviewed for the job. He wasn't forcibly moved. 

The ratings did improve in May, but I don't know if they've been able to maintain it since then.  They have been running promos saying the #1 morning and evening news team now on TV64, so I'd assume they're still #1. The last time WBTV was #1 in all time slots was February 2016, and that was the first time in 26 years. The FTV article is inaccurate, and screams tabloid.

I'm told that having the primary anchors on for the entire news block was primarily a budget decision. The secondary anchors can cover the big stories, and that's one less reporter you have to hire. You also have your strongest anchors on longer, and they're hoping that helps with ratings drop off. In some markets, when the anchors changed, the ratings went down. 

2 hours ago, HardNewsCLT said:

Mike Olivera was hired by the new GM at WSOC. They both had success together in Pittsburgh, and the Charlotte ratings never fully recovered from 2015/2016 under the previous ND. He interviewed for the job. He wasn't forcibly moved. 

The ratings did improve in May, but I don't know if they've been able to maintain it since then.  They have been running promos saying the #1 morning and evening news team now on TV64, so I'd assume they're still #1. The last time WBTV was #1 in all time slots was February 2016, and that was the first time in 26 years. The FTV article is inaccurate, and screams tabloid.

I'm told that having the primary anchors on for the entire news block was primarily a budget decision. The secondary anchors can cover the big stories, and that's one less reporter you have to hire. You also have your strongest anchors on longer, and they're hoping that helps with ratings drop off. In some markets, when the anchors changed, the ratings went down. 

Charlotte will be an interesting market to watch in the next year with the top two stations both having new owners. Could it be a chance for the also-rans to build up? Or will Gray, or WSOC's next owner, keep things strong?

9 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Charlotte will be an interesting market to watch in the next year with the top two stations both having new owners. Could it be a chance for the also-rans to build up? Or will Gray, or WSOC's next owner, keep things strong?

Seeing as Gray's MO when acquiring good stations has been to strip them to the bone, I think WSOC will do just fine ratings-wise if Tegna and its reverse Midas touch isn't involved.

Looks like CBS has been cut-off from all Nielsen data over a contract dispute...

Hello Comscore.

Oh how sad.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/madison-avenue-advertising-cbs-nielsen-1203099353/

An impasse in recent contract negotiations has led Nielsen to revoke CBS’ access to its audience data, which has long served as a benchmark for how TV advertising prices are set. CBS said Thursday it intended to “continue to employ the many viable alternatives available to us” to measure viewership, including data from rival Comscore. Nielsen has said it is in discussions with CBS. Their deal lapsed on Dec. 31. The showdown has the advertising industry wringing its collective hands.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:32 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

It will depend on who buys WSOC and how much they strip it down. WSOC wins because invest in local news coverage and stick to the facts. WBTV still relies on a lot of national news, entertainment stories, chatter and other "filler". WBTV was sister stations with conservative radio station WBT for many years, and this slant is still obvious at times. Their investigations are also frequently "gotcha" type stories without much substance. In my opinion, the ratings crown is WSOC's to lose. I did notice a brief improvement at WBTV a year or two ago, but they went back to old habits rather quickly. 

Archived