November 2018 Sweeps Results

Greggo

12 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

Sinclair makes a profit on KDNL and WNWO despite both stations being embarrassments in their respective markets. Hell, CBS makes a good chunk of change on WWJ/WKBD! When stations like those don’t spend any money (or in WNWO’s case, the absolute bare minimum), you can keep more revenue from ad sales and retrans fees. I mean, it’s simple maths.

How is this possible, yet it’s also claimed that adding more news also makes stations more money?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/28/2018 at 12:04 AM, GoldenShine9 said:

I would think Atlanta is WSB domination? and Raleigh would be WRAL domination?

Last I read...WGCL was making substantial gains all over the board, even closing in on WSB and WAGA in some slots (and sending WXIA to fourth place). Raleigh-Durham? I think WNCN has been ganging up on WTVD, but I’m not sure.

In Minneapolis-St. Paul: I wouldn’t be surprised if KMSP overtook KARE for #2 (with KSTP now dead last)

13 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

How is this possible, yet it’s also claimed that adding more news also makes stations more money?

Local ad sales.  If it's a local show, they can sell all the airtime they want to.  Syndicated programming is tied down by their spots and/or barter spots that have to air in exchange for getting the show for free or at a low cost.

Also, with some shows, they are called cash syndication, which means all of the ad time can be sold however they please...

14 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Local ad sales.  If it's a local show, they can sell all the airtime they want to.  Syndicated programming is tied down by their spots and/or barter spots that have to air in exchange for getting the show for free or at a low cost.

Also, with some shows, they are called cash syndication, which means all of the ad time can be sold however they please...

Additionally the stations that are adding news are typically adding newscasts before their preexisting newscasts.  They utilize the existing journalists and staff for the existing shows so they likely don’t have to pay additional salaries. 

A newscast with a 0.4 rating can still make money. Plus certain advertisers only want their spots running during news shows (it is their money after all). When stations run out of inventory they add more news. 

21 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

A newscast with a 0.4 rating can still make money. Plus certain advertisers only want their spots running during news shows (it is their money after all). When stations run out of inventory they add more news. 

A newscast with NO rating can make money...

A good sales(dept)  weasel just bundles it up with other crap...just like your cable company does(or did).

Sponsors often take chances on unrated fare depending on the approach of the sales department.

You guys keep forgetting...

"It's not always what the rating is....it's all about what you billed".

15 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

First of all, a station like WWJ has no expenses whatsoever. It's a pass-through station. That being said, they make money as a CBS O&O with no local newscasts of any sort. If they weren't, then CBS would have unloaded that station long ago and wiped their hands of that mess..

It is true, adding newscasts nets more revenue that a station can take directly as opposed to giving up a portion of ad revenue for syndicated inventory ... KSNV in the waning days of Jim Rogers, KCNC during their NBC O&O era, and WJW in the present day are three excellent examples of this. But as we've seen with additional newscasts, it's not an increase in quality, but more of the same... or additional fluff and soft feature reports.

8 hours ago, Eat News said:

A newscast with NO rating can make money...

A good sales(dept)  weasel just bundles it up with other crap...just like your cable company does(or did).

Sponsors often take chances on unrated fare depending on the approach of the sales department.

You guys keep forgetting...

"It's not always what the rating is....it's all about what you billed".

Ah yes...the rotator spot.

"But your spot will be seen from 9am - 5pm in various time periods!"  Frequency......and MAYBE some reach...

And after an election, the flood of make-goods....especially if they paid higher rates (since political candidates have to be sold the lowest unit rate).....

In Pittsburgh, KDKA's number one at noon, 4, 5, 6 and 11 in households. Its sister station WPCW is number one at 10. Meanwhile in the 25-54 demo, WPXI is number one at 5, 6 and 11 (WPGH is #1 at 10pm) while KDKA's #1 at noon and WTAE is first in the mornings (also in households) and 4pm (Ellen).

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2018/11/30/Delayed-sweeps-ratings-released/stories/201811300504

5 hours ago, tw-804 said:

In Pittsburgh, KDKA's number one at noon, 4, 5, 6 and 11 in households. Its sister station WPCW is number one at 10. Meanwhile in the 25-54 demo, WPXI is number one at 5, 6 and 11 (WPGH is #1 at 10pm) while KDKA's #1 at noon and WTAE is first in the mornings (also in households) and 4pm (Ellen).

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2018/11/30/Delayed-sweeps-ratings-released/stories/201811300504

Once again, Pittsburgh remains a competitive market and one of the few left IMO with three very solid news operations.

52 minutes ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

Once again, Pittsburgh remains a competitive market and one of the few left IMO with three very solid news operations.

If you look at it from A25-54, then yes.

If you look at it from Total HH, then KDKA is the runaway winner.

On 11/28/2018 at 6:38 PM, elfuego35 said:

Scott Jones of FTV Live reported that as of the last day of sweeps, WBTV was on track to beat WSOC

Yes, I noticed some little changes on WSOC, like they have Erica and Scott on 5-630, 10, and 11, and Allison is basically a reporter now, changed the backdrop of the set, and Paul Boyd (yuck) reporting in the morning. It is definitely becoming a mess at 9, hopefully Cox will move that ND soon. 

On 12/5/2018 at 7:56 PM, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Yes, I noticed some little changes on WSOC, like they have Erica and Scott on 5-630, 10, and 11, and Allison is basically a reporter now, changed the backdrop of the set, and Paul Boyd (yuck) reporting in the morning. It is definitely becoming a mess at 9, hopefully Cox will move that ND soon. 

Same strategy here on the Big Red 9. They are doubling down on Martha and Greg nonstop from 5-6:30 and 11 (I STILL want Greg and Vanessa just for the 6:00). It’s a Cox thing, nothing more. And at least here, it’s working. Though they have WESH to contend with (splitting victories) and News6GettingResults claiming the Monday-Sunday 11:00 numbers (9 has the Monday-Friday numbers)

38 minutes ago, ann said:

THE REASON WHY I SHOUTUNG IS BECAUSE I CAN NOT HOLD THE SHIFT KEY THAT IS THE ONLY READON WHY AM SOUTING

Have you ever thought about turning the Caps Lock off? If you turn it off, then you won't have to rely on the shift key to not have words capitalized (unless the Computer you're using doesn't have the Caps Lock which a lot of the Chromebooks don't have the Caps Lock or any of the fancy stuff on it anymore)

Anyway, the fact that WVUE is #1 in New Orleans doesn't surprise me (same with WDSU jumping to 2nd place) as it's been well-documented with the issues at WWL since TEGNA has taken over and even with WGNO being the last place station as they are. (And even if Nexstar pulls off an WATN-like relaunch, the highest WGNO might get is 3rd and that's only because of TEGNA unlike in Memphis where TEGNA doesn't own a station there).

Archived