November 2018 Sweeps Results

Greggo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ramona said:

Looks like WLS still won but by less in Chicago. In fact, all the 10pm newscasts except WGN (!?) were down in the ratings. WGN led in mornings. WFLD was up 16 percent at 9pm.

Scott Jones noted it last month, the decline in overall viewership in Chicago should be setting off alarm bells to everyone.

So this is highly embarrassing for KMOV more than TEGNAitis on KSDK. KMOV finished DEAD last in all weeknight timeslots A25-54 except 10pm. KSDK actually finished second in all others.

However... the BIG winner? KTVI. Yes, KTVI FOX 2, the Tribune station, the undisputed winner in St. Louis.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/11/28/sweeping-up-in-st-louis

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

So this is highly embarrassing for KMOV more than TEGNAitis on KSDK. KMOV finished DEAD last in all weeknight timeslots A25-54 except 10pm. KSDK actually finished second in all others.

However... the BIG winner? KTVI. Yes, KTVI FOX 2, the Tribune station, the undisputed winner in St. Louis.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/11/28/sweeping-up-in-st-louis

Weird. I don't see KPLR on there. Or are they included in KTVI's numbers?

On 11/27/2018 at 3:58 PM, Myron Falwell said:

The problem with TEGNA is that they are thinking WAYYYY too hard and creating a ton of problems that shouldn't exist. A station like WFAA could still hold their own in DFW if they weren't micromanaged to the nth degree.

Of course TEGNA won't let up on the micromanaging because it's something that they have invested so much time and resources into.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:50 PM, Georgie56 said:

Time for WFAA -- and TEGNA -- to do some soul-searching. If you're TEGNA, losing viewers and coming up empty in every timeslot in your biggest market is embarrassing.

I don't get to hear about Tyler-Longview market ratings, but I'm afraid Tegna's effect on KYTX has lowered their ratings chances against KLTV.  Going cheap/casual/overly-social-media-reliant with their news appearance and delivery, as well as chucking anyone that had experience and name recognition in exchange for no-names/talking-heads was a huge mistake IMO.  At least KYTX isn't trying to outdo KETK (wow, talk about huge mistakes....).

On 11/26/2018 at 9:04 PM, Greggo said:

BIG problems in DFW. WFAA failed to win a single time slot in November. First time that's happened in a bit. Even KTVT manages a win -- at 10p in total viewers. Tegna-itis strikes again.

http://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/b75082ab02efdd059ef776da9b911c18-4322.html

I truly believe Tegna's business philosophy ignores ratings. I don't think they care they run a #2/#3 news operation if they can keep the labor costs down (i.e. no old anchors commanding paid for experience, use of MMJs in large markets, etc.) to a level where they can run higher margins.

5 hours ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

I truly believe Tegna's business philosophy ignores ratings. I don't think they care they run a #2/#3 news operation if they can keep the labor costs down (i.e. no old anchors commanding paid for experience, use of MMJs in large markets, etc.) to a level where they can run higher margins.

Not too bad of a business strategy if we’re being honest.

6 hours ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

6 hours ago, channel2 said:

Even also-ran stations are insanely profitable, aren't they?

Sinclair makes a profit on KDNL and WNWO despite both stations being embarrassments in their respective markets. Hell, CBS makes a good chunk of change on WWJ/WKBD! When stations like those don’t spend any money (or in WNWO’s case, the absolute bare minimum), you can keep more revenue from ad sales and retrans fees. I mean, it’s simple maths.

Going back to TEGNA, markets like DFW and Houston are such that they aren’t losing a damn thing even as their micromanaging is harming the ratings on KHOU and WFAA. Plus those two, along with the rest of the legacy Belo and legacy London stations, just went through a midterm election cycle that saw astronomically higher spending in Texas this year because of a ... well, certain senatorial race.

TEGNA was, in truth, the big winners in the revenue department leading up to the election, and it wasn’t even close.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

That's A25-54, not total HH. I think WPVI is still king in the market overall.

40 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

That's A25-54, not total HH. I think WPVI is still king in the market overall.

Still A25-54 is what advertisers want. And the fact they got that or part of it in every part of the day is amazing. WPVI is still probably king but these are impressive.

Archived