Chris Bradley ends cancer treatment, moves into hospice care

ColDayNews

After a public yearlong battle with acute myeloid leukemia, WBNS' chief meteorologist Chris Bradley is now moving into hospice care, after his treatment team has run out of options to treat the disease.

Writing in a final Facebook post, he thanked the Columbus community for 20+ years of support, and continued to hold onto his faith.

"I thank you for your continued prayers as I transition from palliative care at home to hospice care here at home. I want to thank all of you for the love and support you have shown me and my family over the years. Both in sickness and in health. I've loved being a part of this community. Saying goodbye has been excruciating for all of us."

Bradley joined the station in July of 2006, coming over from WSYX/WTTE, where he spent 8 years as the chief meteorologist for the AccuWeather operation. While at the Sinclair duopoly; he, Jon James and Chuck Gillespie spearheaded the station's signature charity effort -- the 3-Degree Guarantee, where whenever the forecast was off within 3 degrees, WSYX/WTTE donated $30 to the United Way of Central Ohio, or after 9/11 -- the American Red Cross or other WTC relief charities. (A minimum of $300 a month was donated.)

Bradley was also known for his frequent visits to schools with his dog - Boswell the Weather Hound. Personal note: he visited my elementary school in 2004, and was so kind to the kids, staying back after the assembly to let kids pet Boswell and answer weather questions.

He leaves behind a husband, Jason; and two children -- Spencer and Maria.

• 3 weeks later...

WCMH, WSYX/WTTE, and WBNS just came together to film PSAs for bone marrow donation and Be the Match in support of Chris. They'll hit the air next week. They feature Jerry Revish, Mike Jackson, Yolanda Harris, Bob Kendrick, Stacia Naquin and Colleen Marshall. 

I've just contacted ABC 6's Bob Kendrick and 10TV's Jerry Revish and they told me exclusively on the phone that they're very heartborken and sad over the loss of their colleague and he lived a very good life. Jerry told me that there wasn't a dry eye on the 6:00 newscasts this evening and they were a lot of prayers, and a lot of tears. Both competitive anchors told me that they'll devote part of if maybe all of their newscast tonight at 10PM (WTTE) and 11PM (WSYX & WBNS) so, we'll be watching live tonight and online.

I also contacted WXYZ-TV (Chris's former station) to inform the loss of their former colleague and one of the assignment editors to me that they're informed about Chris's death and they'll devote a tribute to Chris on 7 Action News at 10pm (WMYD) and 11pm (WXYZ). My heartfelt prayers and condolences goes out to Chris's husband, their two adopted children and to his friends and colleagues at ABC 6 News and 10TV (Eyewitness) News.

CB-Tribute.png

15 minutes ago, jerseyfla said:

I think Chris also worked in Dayton at WDTN.

He did, as did Chuck Gillespie. 

23 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

I've just contacted ABC 6's Bob Kendrick and 10TV's Jerry Revish and they told me exclusively on the phone that they're very heartborken and sad over the loss of their colleague and he lived a very good life. Jerry told me that there wasn't a dry eye on the 6:00 newscasts this evening and they were a lot of prayers, and a lot of tears. Both competitive anchors told me that they'll devote part of if maybe all of their newscast tonight at 10PM (WTTE) and 11PM (WSYX & WBNS) so, we'll be watching live tonight and online.

I also contacted WXYZ-TV (Chris's former station) to inform the loss of their former colleague and one of the assignment editors to me that they're informed about Chris's death and they'll devote a tribute to Chris on 7 Action News at 10pm (WMYD) and 11pm (WXYZ). My heartfelt prayers and condolences goes out to Chris's husband, their two adopted children and to his friends and colleagues at ABC 6 News and 10TV (Eyewitness) News.

CB-Tribute.png

WSYX made a point to mention on the air that he worked there from 1998-2005, until being replaced by Jerry Martz. 

I watched the WBNS stream (it runs continuously between newscasts) and noticed the 5:30pm portion seemed “off.” You could certainly tell Tracy Townsend was shaken - before the announcement was made.  

That newsroom has suffered a lot of loss - between Heather Pick, Dom Tiberi’s daughter and now, Chris Bradley. Prayers to all of them.

I just took some time to gather my thoughts here. For me, living here in Columbus. The love of this city for Chris in this battle which became everyone's battle has been strong as it gets. Also you see something awesome that I love about TV News in This City. He may of been on WSYX and WBNS but how we see it is he was family in Columbus TV News. It's really is a family overall. As I go to bed tonight I'm thinking of his family and work families and those he touched with kindness and grace even through the roughest of moments. He was loved deeply and will be missed. And selfishly I'm thinking cancer robbed us of a Chris and Yolanda reunion on 10TV but it robbed us of this good man who won't be forgotten any time soon in Central Ohio.

20 minutes ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

I just took some time to gather my thoughts here. For me, living here in Columbus. The love of this city for Chris in this battle which became everyone's battle has been strong as it gets. Also you see something awesome that I love about TV News in This City. He may of been on WSYX and WBNS but how we see it is he was family in Columbus TV News. It's really is a family overall. As I go to bed tonight I'm thinking of his family and work families and those he touched with kindness and grace even through the roughest of moments. He was loved deeply and will be missed. And selfishly I'm thinking cancer robbed us of a Chris and Yolanda reunion on 10TV but it robbed us of this good man who won't be forgotten any time soon in Central Ohio.

I lived in Worthington, close to where he and Jason lived. I always saw them out and about. They’re literally the friendliest people you’d ever meet, always stopping to talk to people — especially those who recognized Chris. 

I really want to see Dispatch and Mayor Ginther rename the stretch of Twin Rivers Drive which runs in front of the studio after him: Chris Bradley Way. 

3 hours ago, ColDayNews said:

I really want to see Dispatch and Mayor Ginther rename the stretch of Twin Rivers Drive which runs in front of the studio after him: Chris Bradley Way. 

That would be a nice tribute.

If I’m not mistaken, there is a stretch of Rockside Road in the Cleveland suburb of Independence that was ceremoniously renamed for longtime WGAR personality Chuck Collier after his sudden passing  (the iHeart Cleveland cluster has their studio facilities on that road).

11 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

I watched the WBNS stream (it runs continuously between newscasts) and noticed the 5:30pm portion seemed “off.” You could certainly tell Tracy Townsend was shaken - before the announcement was made.  

That newsroom has suffered a lot of loss - between Heather Pick, Dom Tiberi’s daughter and now, Chris Bradley. Prayers to all of them.

The Wolfes always use whatever loss suffered in the newsroom as a catalyst for their long tradition of community service. 

Maria Tiberi’s death spurred Maria’s Message where Dom Tiberi travels across the WBNS viewing area and surrounding counties to educate teens on distracted driving. He gave a presentation at my high school a year ago, and it really hit home for us.

Heather’s death 10 years ago spurred a donation by the Wolfes (at the time they had the Dispatch/ONN/WBNS-AM/FM/TV)  to the James Cancer Hospital at Ohio State. 

I truly hope that a blessing, however small or large, comes out of this. ❤️

20 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

If I’m not mistaken, there is a stretch of Rockside Road in the Cleveland suburb of Independence that was ceremoniously renamed for longtime WGAR personality Chuck Collier after his sudden passing  (the iHeart Cleveland cluster has their studio facilities on that road).

I believe the stretch of St Joseph Street in downtown Indianapolis in front of Radio One's studios is named after longtime WTLC personality Amos Brown, who passed away a year ago as well.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:22 AM, Myron Falwell said:

I got my streets confused; it's a stretch of Oaktree Boulevard south of Rockside that has a ceremonial rename for the Chuckster.

Archived