Question about Market/Network Dominance

Thor

18 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

KUSA is not seeing erosion to KDVR and that is simply laughable. Tribunes outlet is due for a management change. People are jumping ship.

KUSA is seeing erosion to KCNC and a bit to KMGH, but KDVR and KMGH have swopped places not due to more successful content but because suckier management to over Tribune's outlet and KMGH saw a change as well to better news management (see Holly Gaunt and Dean Littleton, though I'd argue that the Denver7 branding is not helping anything, no matter what the focus groups said to Scripps).

I think "Colorado's 7" is better than "Denver7" But I would only use it as a general brand, not on everything (meaning, I would bring back 7NEWS for it's newscasts)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I think "Colorado's 7" is better than "Denver7" But I would only use it as a general brand, not on everything (meaning, I would bring back 7NEWS for it's newscasts)

The only reason Denver7 was selected was because the Nielsen boxes are in Denver City and County only. But the market looks like this:

Denver.gif

Personally, I'm a fan of News Channel 7.

14 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

The only reason Denver7 was selected was because the Nielsen boxes are in Denver City and County only. But the market looks like this:

Denver.gif

News Channel 7 would work fine, ABC 7 News would work fine also

5 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Denver.gif

Not at all related to the thread, but I've always been fascinated by the vastness of the Denver DMA, and all the fragmented counties in Wyoming and Nebraska (Isn't there 1 county in Nevada that is also in the Denver DMA?). And on the 2017-18 Nielsen map Morrill County, Nebraska (white on the quoted map -- likely part of the Cheyenne-Scottsbluff DMA on that map) is also in the Denver DMA.

45 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

Not at all related to the thread, but I've always been fascinated by the vastness of the Denver DMA, and all the fragmented counties in Wyoming and Nebraska (Isn't there 1 county in Nevada that is also in the Denver DMA?). And on the 2017-18 Nielsen map Morrill County, Nebraska (white on the quoted map -- likely part of the Cheyenne-Scottsbluff DMA on that map) is also in the Denver DMA.

It looks like 13 Nebraska counties in the Denver DMA. Honestly, the Denver DMA is too big! It should be broken up into 4 or 5 smaller DMAs.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:55 AM, ABC 7 Denver said:

It looks like 13 Nebraska counties in the Denver DMA. Honestly, the Denver DMA is too big! It should be broken up into 4 or 5 smaller DMAs.

Its definitely a relic of a day when the Denver channels over C-Band was the source of network programming for rural areas of the West that couldn't get a signal from a station closer to them. I believe KMGH and KDVR were the defacto affiliates in parts of Montana that didnt have a local ABC or Fox affiliate. 

Its definitely obsolete in the digital era where local stations can put multiple networks on one single signal. Even now a days the local Denver stations barely acknowledge places like Laramie and Gillette on their weather maps.

56 minutes ago, newsteam13 said:

At KMGH, how about calling it ABC 7 News and ABC 7, and call it a day!

ABCSE7EN

Affiliate name-branding is iffy in this market. CBS 4 is an exception. 9News doesn't use NBC9 for this reason. I like News Channel 7 because 7 is focused on enterprise-level journalism. They are still a flagship in many ways. 

Archived