Question about Market/Network Dominance

Thor

Maybe I'm wrong, but only WBNS, KWCH, KCCI, WKYT, WHIO, WFSB (?), and perhaps WTVF stick out as "dominant" -- at least in terms of ratings and product...Perhaps you could add WDBJ

I'd keep WDBJ there. The dynamic of that market is odd given how WSET owns the Lynchburg half yet struggles in the Roanoke half. Gray hasn't hit them that hard and the attention that Graham has lavished on WSLS hasn't paid that much in terms of dividends yet.

It seems like CBS has less struggles in the bottom half of the Top 100. WINK, WCIA, WISC, KWTX/KBTX, WTOC, WBTW, and WCAX probably would also qualify as "dominant" and some dominate their part of a fragmented market (KFVS, WKRG).

I would go so far as to say CBS, on the balance, probably has the weakest top-100 stations of the big-3s and it's not even close. (The O&Os-esp WWJ, WGCL, WTSP, WUSA, WNCN, KMTV, KGAN, WDEF, WIAT, etc). ABC is probably second on account of having duds like KDNL, WXLV and WLNE. I would say NBC has the strongest.

CBS's issues seem to be more in the Top 50 than in 51-100. ABC's duds seem to be concentrated in the middle plus they have some "superserve one chunk of the market" stations (think WSIL or WEAR). I can't really think of an NBC station that qualifies as WWJ/KDNL-level bad.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't really think of an NBC station that qualifies as WWJ/KDNL-level bad.

WNBW Gainesville, FL or WAGT Augusta, GA. Both have news but are simulcasting newscasts of a parent station and are basically shells for their parent station.

To draw some parallels, TEGNA is a lot like JCPenney under Ron Johnson (who came from Apple) and what Advance has done to their newspapers. JCPenney was run into the ground by trying to cater a mid-level department store to stylish millennials and Advance destroyed the "daily" newspaper in their markets with awful sites that just poach news from other sources...

WKYC catching the TEGNAitis bug is a blow because they were one of the holdouts. Now when it reaches WMAZ (if it hasn't already) is when you can stick a fork in them and especially if a station like WMAZ loses its death grip over Macon viewers....

Given the incompetence of their competition? Won't happen unless some reputable buys WMGT. As for Knoxville, would it benefit WVLT or WATE more for WBIR to collapse?

I'd keep WDBJ there. The dynamic of that market is odd given how WSET owns the Lynchburg half yet struggles in the Roanoke half. Gray hasn't hit them that hard and the attention that Graham has lavished on WSLS hasn't paid that much in terms of dividends yet.

It seems like CBS has less struggles in the bottom half of the Top 100. WINK, WCIA, WISC, KWTX/KBTX, WTOC, WBTW, and WCAX probably would also qualify as "dominant" and some dominate their part of a fragmented market (KFVS, WKRG).

CBS's issues seem to be more in the Top 50 than in 51-100. ABC's duds seem to be concentrated in the middle plus they have some "superserve one chunk of the market" stations (think WSIL or WEAR). I can't really think of an NBC station that qualifies as WWJ/KDNL-level bad.

WSLS "feels" like a big market station now, but familiarity is making it hard for them. If not for the incompetence in the Park and Media General days and spending decades in the gutter, they would be doing a lot better now.

As for WNBW, it hardly matters since WCJB creams everyone else in Gainesville.

Given the incompetence of their competition? Won't happen unless some reputable buys WMGT. As for Knoxville, would it benefit WVLT or WATE more for WBIR to collapse?

You have a TEGNA station competing against a Gray and a Nexstar respectively, so they're in no danger of losing too much of a market share. For now.

Yep, St. Louis slowly became a Fox town.

It's a combination of that and KMOVs growing dominance (partly as a result of CBS's ratings overall).

KSDK has had a whole bunch of turnover and rebranding whereas KMOV and KTVI have remained relatively consistent.

WSLS "feels" like a big market station now, but familiarity is making it hard for them. If not for the incompetence in the Park and Media General days and spending decades in the gutter, they would be doing a lot better now.

As for WNBW, it hardly matters since WCJB creams everyone else in Gainesville.

I live in the market so I know the feeling. You know what WCJB's best and closest competitor is? WOGX!!! You can't say WGFL/WNBW because they only offer two newscasts every weeknight compared to loads of hours of week WOGX simulcasts from WOFL. Yet, they are WCJB's best competitor.

Gainesville man. Thank god Tom Petty made us proud here. :')

I can't really think of an NBC station that qualifies as WWJ/KDNL-level bad.

WTWC in Tallahassee. Not only did they pull the plug on their news in 2000, Sinclair picked up the operations of WTXL for 6 years, only for their owners to sell it off to Southern/Calkins to make their own (now it's Raycom and soon to be Scripps). Theirs was structured as an outsourcing agreement, and when Southern bought it from Media Ventures, they chose to terminate the agreement.

Then, Sinclair bought New Age's FOX affiliate in Tallahassee which has a news share with long dominant WCTV, and later absorbed it into WTWC on their .2. All the while WTWC has been passed over and over for any local content save for some cut-ins and maybe some weather content all the way from WEAR in Pensacola...

On 11/24/2018 at 6:15 PM, TennTV1983 said:

You have a TEGNA station competing against a Gray and a Nexstar respectively, so they're in no danger of losing too much of a market share. For now.

I’m of the opinion that Nexstar has not managed to ruin the majority of the MG/LIN stations.  If anything WNCN has drastically improved.  The others I’ve watched seem status quo. 

On 11/24/2018 at 7:09 AM, scrabbleship said:

It's fitting, since Lynchburg is the more conservative/religious part of the market (home of Liberty University) that they would prefer their local news in Sinclair flavor. 

7 hours ago, appleachian said:

I’m of the opinion that Nexstar has not managed to ruin the majority of the MG/LIN stations.  If anything WNCN has drastically improved.  The others I’ve watched seem status quo. 

WNCN was poorly programmed as late as five years ago. They were putting those cheap Byron Allen court shows and "OK TV" (the third-tier "ET" ripoff now called "Celebrity Page") on their daytime schedule. They've since slightly improved their syndicated programming, but CBS also gives them more network programming to fill those holes in.

On 11/24/2018 at 6:18 PM, Mrtraveler01 said:

It's a combination of that and KMOVs growing dominance (partly as a result of CBS's ratings overall).

KSDK has had a whole bunch of turnover and rebranding whereas KMOV and KTVI have remained relatively consistent.

The consistency of KSAZ in Phoenix has also helped them rise to the top of the market, despite their piss-poor production and anchors blabbing out their opinions on the issues. Just like KTVK was dominant with in the late-'80s and early-'90s as an ABC affiliate, and KPNX (the only channel not to change network affiliation) during the late-'90s and throughout the early 2010's until they became TEGNA. 

34 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

WNCN was poorly programmed as late as five years ago. They were putting those cheap Byron Allen court shows and "OK TV" (the third-tier "ET" ripoff now called "Celebrity Page") on their daytime schedule. They've since slightly improved their syndicated programming, but CBS also gives them more network programming to fill those holes in.

Don't they still have Judge Judy and Ellen?

46 minutes ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

Don't they still have Judge Judy and Ellen?

Yes, and yes. Heck, they still air Judge Mablean in the period between the noon news and The Bold and The Beautiful.

I would say that WNCN is very lazy in terms of syndication, especially airing an hour of Judge Judy in access.

1 hour ago, scrabbleship said:

Yes, and yes. Heck, they still air Judge Mablean in the period between the noon news and The Bold and The Beautiful.

I would say that WNCN is very lazy in terms of syndication, especially airing an hour of Judge Judy in access.

I know that Perry Sook was once the sales manager of Pat Robertson's KXTX in Dallas, but is that why "The 700 Club" airs on many of Nexstar's Big 3-affiliated stations (the worst example is KOIN in Portland, which runs it at 1pm)?

2 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

I know that Perry Sook was once the sales manager of Pat Robertson's KXTX in Dallas, but is that why "The 700 Club" airs on many of Nexstar's Big 3-affiliated stations (the worst example is KOIN in Portland, which runs it at 1pm)?

It's probably a coincedence that KOIN runs it because they may have been running it well before Nexstar got them. WAVY ran it during LIN and Media General ownership but I don't know if they still do today. 

This would explain why KTAL runs it, though. That and the fact that they pay stations to run the show.

21 minutes ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

It's probably a coincedence that KOIN runs it because they may have been running it well before Nexstar got them. WAVY ran it during LIN and Media General ownership but I don't know if they still do today. 

This would explain why KTAL runs it, though. That and the fact that they pay stations to run the show.

WAVY is understandable, given that it's CBN's home market. That station even carries CBN's 24-hour news channel on a subchannel. As for KOIN airing it, there's no use for it only to go after viewers in Salem and other rural parts of the Portland market. But as long as the CBN checks clear, they'll air it. It's not good for the station's programming continuity during day, but neither are traditional infomercials.

10 hours ago, appleachian said:

At worst, it's been status quo. Media General wasn't run the best in the last years anyway.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:14 PM, AJClementeFan69 said:

I would go so far as to say CBS, on the balance, probably has the weakest top-100 stations of the big-3s and it's not even close. (The O&Os-esp WWJ, WGCL, WTSP, WUSA, WNCN, KMTV, KGAN, WDEF, WIAT, etc). ABC is probably second on account of having duds like KDNL, WXLV and WLNE. I would say NBC has the strongest.

Don't forget Harrisburg's WHP-TV, long the laggard of that market. The only thing that's helped them recently is Nexstar's dysfunctional management of WHTM.

3 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

I remember when I moved to Raleigh in 2005, WNCN was airing ET.  Not sure how long it had been on there but it went to WRAL in 2006.

7 minutes ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

I remember when I moved to Raleigh in 2005, WNCN was airing ET.  Not sure how long it had been on there but it went to WRAL in 2006.

If I was programming a TV station, I would drop or downgrade "ET" or any other entertainment news magazine until they quit their unhealthy obsessions with the royal family.

2 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

Don't forget Harrisburg's WHP-TV, long the laggard of that market. The only thing that's helped them recently is Nexstar's dysfunctional management of WHTM.

Still, they are all miles behind WGAL, which has also been the beacon of stability in the market in recent years. It's also the only station in the market that Sinclair has not attempted to purchase.

On 11/25/2018 at 4:50 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

WTWC in Tallahassee. Not only did they pull the plug on their news in 2000, Sinclair picked up the operations of WTXL for 6 years, only for their owners to sell it off to Southern/Calkins to make their own (now it's Raycom and soon to be Scripps). Theirs was structured as an outsourcing agreement, and when Southern bought it from Media Ventures, they chose to terminate the agreement.

Then, Sinclair bought New Age's FOX affiliate in Tallahassee which has a news share with long dominant WCTV, and later absorbed it into WTWC on their .2. All the while WTWC has been passed over and over for any local content save for some cut-ins and maybe some weather content all the way from WEAR in Pensacola...

Still...WWJ and KDNL are in major markets.

10 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

KOIN (CBS) only started airing The 700 Club this season. It had been on KPTV (FOX) at 10am. KPTV expanded their morning lifestyle show from 1 to 2 hours this fall to fill the 9-11am. I'm guessing they think they can make more money with a local show or they lost the contract. In a market like Portland, the show pays stations around $300,000 per year to air it.

Archived