Thousand Oaks Mass Shooting and Nearby Wildfire Coverage

CalItalian2

SkyFox was up last night but remember they were 2 hours late vs. everyone else.

Meanwhile...

In Butte County, that fire has destroyed much, much more...and no station is wall to wall...and nobody is flying at night.

Go figure.

Meanwhile...

In Butte County, that fire has destroyed much, much more...and no station is wall to wall...and nobody is flying at night.

Go figure.

This is market #2 where well over $120 million in political ad revenues were just spent on broadcast media. You expect more. KTTV was better when it was a MetroMedia station covering fires live than it is tonight.

This is market #2 where well over $120 million in political ad revenues were just spent on broadcast media. You expect more. KTTV was better when it was a MetroMedia station covering fires live than it is tonight.

The former ND Jose Rios must be rolling in his grave...

...and Jose isn't even dead yet.

Long Live

MetroNews MetroNews

Capture.thumb.JPG.4d2a37b5acbadfb10b172eb423104e7b.JPG

Meanwhile...

Go figure.

At 1:45 am, 30,000 people have been evacuated in the Oak Park, Bell Canyon, Woolsey fire(s). Probably eclipses the amount of people evacuated in Butte County. Not downplaying the devistation there. Evacuations now coming south of the 101.

Fox 11 reported that Los Robles Regional Medical Center where many of the shooting victims were taken was preparing to evacuate. That was incorrect and they had to retract on air. The ultimate embarrasment for KTTV from both of these tragedies.

Well I guess KTTV needs some practice on breaking news. I guess people are lucky it's on the overnight.

And I'm afraid to tune in KNX, KBCS 740am and KFBK to see how they are all doing on the various fires.

I would just be further disappointed.

Hey...did you see that 690 am out of baja switched format to Chinese?

All of the main anchors have shown why they are main anchors in market #2 these past few days. KCBS (Pat Harvey/Jeff Michael), KNBC (Chuck and Colleen), KTLA (Micah/Cher/Rick Chambers), KABC (Marc/Michelle). These people KNOW Southern California. They KNOW what happens out here every fall with the winds and the fires. All stations absolutely kicked ass in their coverage. I am a Christine Devine fan, have been one since she came into the market, but KTTV really saddled her credibility the past few days. Its not her fault as she is only working with the resources and direction she has but KTTV truly embarrassed themselves. They have market veterans as well (Phil Shuman/Susan Hirasuna, et al), but they were way behind from the get go and never recovered.

I hate to bring this up as it is not important right now, but does anyone have ratings? I believe KTLA has been on the air wall to wall since their shooting coverage happened around 11:30pm Wednesday night. Can anyone confirm?

Meanwhile, it seems that some viewers are pissed at KTTV for pre-empting TMZ and other shows according to Facebook.

If you don't have the budget, or resources to cover a disaster correctly then DON'T cover it. Why not leave it to the other gazillion local stations covering the exact same story?

Some folks don't want to have anything to do with watching local disasters unfold, they want their TMZ.

The KTTV coverage has been ass backwards at the best. Why suddenly do they try to "recover" in the middle of the night?

Pack it up KTTV, stick to all the other "news" happening out there that's cheaper to cover.

Nobody in the biz wants to sit out a "big one" but if your hands are tied behind your back it's sometimes best to just move on to something else where you can do a better job.

I added and Nearby Wildfire to the title of the thread as it seems to have been a come all thread.
I wanted to do that last night but didn't know how. One disaster morphed into two and they are totally intertwined. Especially because of location. Thank you.

You can do it yourself by clicking on edit thread.

All of the main anchors have shown why they are main anchors in market #2 these past few days. KCBS (Pat Harvey/Jeff Michael), KNBC (Chuck and Colleen), KTLA (Micah/Cher/Rick Chambers), KABC (Marc/Michelle). These people KNOW Southern California. They KNOW what happens out here every fall with the winds and the fires. All stations absolutely kicked ass in their coverage. I am a Christine Devine fan, have been one since she came into the market, but KTTV really saddled her credibility the past few days. Its not her fault as she is only working with the resources and direction she has but KTTV truly embarrassed themselves. They have market veterans as well (Phil Shuman/Susan Hirasuna, et al), but they were way behind from the get go and never recovered.

I hate to bring this up as it is not important right now, but does anyone have ratings? I believe KTLA has been on the air wall to wall since their shooting coverage happened around 11:30pm Wednesday night. Can anyone confirm?

Totally agree. And I had my doubts about Jeff Michael. But he's proved to me that he deserves his promotion to main anchor along with Pat Harvey. He started to repeat some of his knowledge too many times overnight. That would be my only criticism.

As for KTTV, I would be embarassed if I had to work there. They really had nothing to offer overnight until their first field report at 1:41 am.

The continuing coverage on every station this morning is just steller. Even KTTV is looking better but they do not compare to the quality broadcasts coming from the other 4 newsrooms in L.A..

One thing I just thought of about KABC’s coverage last night or the day before they sent out a push alert saying they were continuing coverage online when they went into primetime. I have to ask why didn’t they move coverage to the zombie channel Live Well on 7.2 or even LAFF on 7.3.

By going online only you are alienating a significant portion of their audience. Yes, subchannels aren’t carried on satellite but that’s why you also stream online. These subchannels are on every platform and over the air but that’s why you stream.

One thing I just thought of about KABC’s coverage last night or the day before they sent out a push alert saying they were continuing coverage online when they went into primetime. I have to ask why didn’t they move coverage to the zombie channel Live Well on 7.2 or even LAFF on 7.3.

By going online only you are alienating a significant portion of their audience. Yes, subchannels aren’t carried on satellite but that’s why you also stream online. These subchannels are on every platform and over the air but that’s why you stream.

Live Well, KABC TV 7.2, is carried on Spectrum & almost all of the small cable systems in most of the greater L.A. area.

KTLA always simulcasts news from 10-11:30 pm weekdays on Antenna TV, KTLA 5.2, so I do see why others couldn't have during network programming.

Everybody was, except KTTV & KNBC early on during the shooting (both) and fires (KTTV only), were streaming continuously on Facebook, also.

While CBS 2 airs the funeral of the Ventura County sheriff's deputy who was shot in the shootout last week, KCAL 9 is running CBS programming. Has been since 11:30 AM today (Young and the Restless, The Bold & The Beautiful and The Talk). KCAL 9 did not air their newscast at noon. NBC 4, KTLA 5, ABC 7 and Fox 11 are also airing the funeral live.

Archived