Thousand Oaks Mass Shooting and Nearby Wildfire Coverage

CalItalian2

Everyone is doing a great job with nonstop live commercial free coverage overnight. CBS 2, NBC 4, KTLA 5, ABC 7, KCAL 9 (simulcast with CBS 2) ALL came back with coverage starting about 11:45 pm and after 1:15 am are still on live. Helicopters up and all the main 11 pm news anchors from CBS 2, NBC 4 and ABC 7 came back and are still on.

EXCEPT Fox 11 which has NO coverage at all. Embarrassing news organization for the #2 market. Even running their normal 10 pm news replay at 1 am. Not even a peep on their Facebook account.

Not surprising about KTTV. FTVLive roasted them as well. I live in Southern California, Thousand Oaks is not far from me at all. I have been glued to KABC and KTLA. Their reporters are showing raw emotion. Normally reporters/anchors are advised to shy away from that. In a story like this, I am completely OK with this. I woke up around 3am, had checked my phone and saw all the news alerts and immediately turned on the TV. All stations are doing great with this coverage. CNN and FOX News were covering it as well. Sadly, MSNBC was on Morning Joe talking about the circus in Washington DC.

Maybe they should have aired Fox News.

Fox News didn't come on with coverage until 1 am PST. Still earlier than Fox 11 here in L.A. but CNN & MSNBC had already gone on with live coverage. CNN had their own crew out there early on but that's kinda typical for them when big L.A. stories break.

Caught Pat Harvey on CBS 2 & KCAL 9 saying she'd already left the station (in Studio City), was on the freeway and saw lots of police speeding down the 101 freeway in the direction of Ventura County. She called the station and came back. That's a pro.

All the 11 pm news anchors from CBS 2, NBC 4 and ABC 7 were on until at least 3 am until they were relieved by the morning crews.

I caught what was going on about 11:30 pm because of an 11:27 pm (7 minutes after the first 911 call) tweet from @VCscanner [MEDIA=twitter]1060433726457311232[/MEDIA] so I was able to follow what was going on very early including monitoring Ventura County Sheriff's Department scanner.

I'm appalled that it took Fox 11 so long to get on the air. I live not far from Fox 11 studios at Bundy near Olympic. At that time of the evening, driving, it would take no more than 35 minutes to get to the shooting destination adjacent to the 101 in Thousand Oaks. Just simply disgraceful and it makes them look like a third rate news organization. They need a complete overhaul.

Kudos to KCBS/KCAL, KNBC, KTLA & KABC. All in their own ways those professional major market organizations came though as one would expect in a late night off hours breaking news story.

Not surprising about KTTV. FTVLive roasted them as well. I live in Southern California, Thousand Oaks is not far from me at all. I have been glued to KABC and KTLA. Their reporters are showing raw emotion. Normally reporters/anchors are advised to shy away from that. In a story like this, I am completely OK with this. I woke up around 3am, had checked my phone and saw all the news alerts and immediately turned on the TV. All stations are doing great with this coverage. CNN and FOX News were covering it as well. Sadly, MSNBC was on Morning Joe talking about the circus in Washington DC.
Yes, MSNBC broke way from their coverage of it but they still covered it live BEFORE Fox 11. That in itself is outrageous.

KABC & KCBS were the best in very early coverage imho. KNBC caught up quickly, though. KTLA relied more heavily on their helicopter reporter to start but within the first hour of coverage, everyone had their positives and were at full speed covering the story well. KTTV, well, you really had to follow their reporters on Twitter to get any info...for hours.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/11/8/mass-shooting-in-la-fox-station-m-i-a

FYI, this was the first bit of information from Fox 11. A retweet from one of their reporters at 12:10 am PST. Every other station in L.A. had live coverage from the scene before it. [MEDIA=twitter]1060444357218562048[/MEDIA]

Except for KCAL 9, which around 1:30 pm ended coverage (but is again simulcasting CBS 2 at 4 pm), it's been non-stop commercial free coverage on all stations in L.A..

And now we are just starting a Santa Ana driven wind event and one fire has already closed the 101 freeway just north of the shooting site.

KNBCs main anchors, Chuck Henry and Colleen Williams are field anchoring on the scene in Thousand Oaks. Fantastic call by KNBC. Chuck and Colleen have decades in the market and can definitely pull this off. I’m floored and amazed (in a good way) that KNBC did this.

KTTV moved their coverage to KCOP when the NFL Thursday Night game coverage came on. Anchors are in the studio. Their coverage is still weak vs. the rest.

KCAL is still simulcasting KCBS as I post this but in the 4 pm everything was in reverse (everything was referred to as KCAL 9).

Mark Brown & Michelle Tuzee, main anchors from ABC 7, are also in Thousand Oaks.

The big news is this mass shooting coverage is turning into what is likely going to be all night extremely strong Santa Ana wind driven fire coverage. It's a back to back disaster as only Southern California can bring you.

Haven't seen one commercial during any of the coverage.

KTTV moved their coverage to KCOP when the NFL Thursday Night game coverage came on. Anchors are in the studio. Their coverage is still weak vs. the rest.

KCAL is still simulcasting KCBS as I post this but in the 4 pm everything was in reverse (everything was referred to as KCAL 9).

Mark Brown & Michelle Tuzee, main anchors from ABC 7, are also in Thousand Oaks.

The big news is this mass shooting coverage is turning into what is likely going to be all night extremely strong Santa Ana wind driven fire coverage. It's a back to back disaster as only Southern California can bring you.

Haven't seen one commercial during any of the coverage.

Was amazed by this as well. Watched the KTLA Morning News from 7-12 p.m. and they took not one commercial break.

Only Marc Brown was in Thousand Oaks. Tuzee was at the anchor desk.

Anywho. KABC just broke away from local coverage to air WNT, after more than 17 straight hours on the air.

KTTV Fox 11 (on KCOP My 13) ended their coverage at 6:30 pm. They went to "How I Met Your Mother". Quite a commitment to the community, Fox! They'll be back on at 10 on Fox 11. Why not after the NFL game?

KABC went to World News Tonight at 6:30 pm.

KNBC, KCBS, KCAL, KTLA still on but KTLA has gone back to regular commercial breaks.

Every channel in Los Angeles has dumped late night programs for fire coverage except, of course, Fox 11.

That decision is not being made in a void.

It's a serious money saving bean counter attack.

Did KTTV Skyfox ever launch last night, or did they wait until the regular morning traffic launch?

I can't believe they missed the early stages of the story last night unless they have totally pissed-off all the stringers and tipsters in the Ventura County area. Plus whenever any newscopters launch from Van Nuys EVERYONE knows it....even the KTLA and KNBC pilots at Wright usually know when and why the birds at Van Nuys launch.

So KTTV has completely given up major long form coverage...or the bean counters have chopped off the stations "news nuts".

Incredible fire coverage on live overnight on KCBS/KCAL, KNBC, KTLA & KABC with all 11 pm anchors still in place. All the choppers up, too. KTLA & KCBS or KCAL have been on live now for more than 24 hours continuous with both the shooting & fires coverage.

KTTV finally came back with live coverage after Midnight.

That decision is not being made in a void.

It's a serious money saving bean counter attack.

Did KTTV Skyfox ever launch last night, or did they wait until the regular morning traffic launch?

I can't believe they missed the early stages of the story last night unless they have totally pissed-off all the stringers and tipsters in the Ventura County area. Plus whenever any newscopters launch from Van Nuys EVERYONE knows it....even the KTLA and KNBC pilots at Wright usually know when and why the birds at Van Nuys launch.

So KTTV has completely given up major long form coverage...or the bean counters have chopped off the stations "news nuts".

SkyFox was up last night but remember they were 2 hours late vs. everyone else.

KNBC & KCBS/KCAL really have some compelling coverage right now not to diminish any other stations work.

I will give Jeff Michaels credit for his knowledge tonight of Southern California over the years and what happens during fire disasters. He's proving he deserves that main newscasts anchor chair at CBS 2.

I just don't understand how the management of KTTV could not have been prepared for each of these disasters. Even I knew, as I posted earlier, the Santa Ana winds were going to bring a disasterous fire night tonight and that's exactly what is happening. Every other station is doing a tremendous professional job tonight, though.

Robert Kovacik moving the KNBC/KVEA van live on air was a classic, btw.

KTTV is not using their own chopper. They also have no reporters live on the ground. Kevin Tackumi was on the phone but not with any Fox 11 camera in the field and certainly not in SkyFox. Christine Devine mentioned she came back to the station. What kind of coverage is this?

Archived