WTNH new graphics

qunewsguy

WTNH launched the WISH-TV look on Monday evening. No surprises here, though there are hints of blue absent from the WISH look. The opens are identical, save for the standard versus slanted 8's and the retained Helvetica "NEWS" in the logo.

WTNH launched the WISH-TV look on Monday evening. No surprises here, though there are hints of blue absent from the WISH look. The opens are identical, save for the standard versus slanted 8's and the retained Helvetica "NEWS" in the logo.

Ugh. I’ll need to update my WTNH compilation a third time now.

I’m actually pleased they didn’t go with the ABC pack. WTNH has always been traditional presentation-wise under LIN, same with WAVY, WOOD, WISH (of course!), and KOIN.

I like this WISH package, but I must say I’m not a huge fan of the hints of blue in the package. It wouldn’t look terrible all blue, but the way WTNH has it makes it look like an afterthought (which it was).

Nice to see a station still doing talent bumpers... seems like those aren't as commonplace as they once were.

Sadly, even more stations don't even have an OPEN anymore, per se....

At least a lot of them are very stealthy about it, designing an opening bumper that serves a dual purpose. Like ...THIS IS WXXX with BREAKING NEWS!

Others have just dropped it entirely and look like they've just come back from break...

The news managers and consultants want to suck in the viewers as quickly as possible, so the days of the grandiose news open are done....

Sadly, even more stations don't even have an OPEN anymore, per se....

At least a lot of them are very stealthy about it, designing an opening bumper that serves a dual purpose. Like ...THIS IS WXXX with BREAKING NEWS!

Others have just dropped it entirely and look like they've just come back from break...

The news managers and consultants want to suck in the viewers as quickly as possible, so the days of the grandiose news open are done....

I hate cold opens with a burning passion. They make no darn sense - they just spoil what you’re gonna see on the news!!!

Also who wore it better - WISH or WTNH?

The graphics themselves are nice.. the font I'm not fond of... also the talent bumper is way too fast. Between the crappy font and the .25 second per anchor, can't read who the hell they are .. I like the WTNH version a teensy bit better with the blue .. gives a nod to the blue & white 8 before they got the crappy plain 8 remake.

Also what's with the co-chief meteorologist title?

This from a September 2017 article from Patch.com about Furey's hiring:

[Furey's] title will be co-chief meteorologist, and he will be handling evening duty at the station. At WTNH, Furey will be joining Gil Simmons, who is returning to the airwaves on Sept. 18 following a lengthy medical leave. Simmons will be back in his morning role.

In other words, Joe Furey and Gil Simmons both serve as chief meteorologists for WTNH. (Of the two, Simmons is the senior member of the station's on-air weather staff, having been with WTNH since 2003.)

This from a September 2017 article from Patch.com about Furey's hiring:

In other words, Joe Furey and Gil Simmons both serve as chief meteorologists for WTNH. (Of the two, Simmons is the senior member of the station's on-air weather staff, having been with WTNH since 2003.)

I still don't understand the need for the "co" tag. Simmons was already their chief, but one of those weird ones that does the morning shift? Then they hired Furey who already has decades of experience but decided they wanted him to still be "chief" even though he's kinda sorta not? Sounds like nothing but a marketing ploy.

The graphics themselves are nice.. the font I'm not fond of... also the talent bumper is way too fast. Between the crappy font and the .25 second per anchor, can't read who the hell they are .. I like the WTNH version a teensy bit better with the blue .. gives a nod to the blue & white 8 before they got the crappy plain 8 remake.

Agreed. The talent open is way too fast. Only 12 seconds long! Slow it down some!!!

Agreed. The talent open is way too fast. Only 12 seconds long! Slow it down some!!!

That's the thing... they have to make them short because otherwise they'd cut into valuable ad $$$. That's why most stations have ditched the talent opens entirely. Same reason why closes are no more than 5 seconds long now.

That's the thing... they have to make them short because otherwise they'd cut into valuable ad $$$. That's why most stations have ditched the talent opens entirely. Same reason why closes are no more than 5 seconds long now.

The time doesn't HAVE to come out of ad avails. It could come out of the newscast itself. Considering how many times stations rerun stories or pull random wire copy these days because they are shortstaffed, things like opens can eat up a few seconds here and there. Not the worst thing in the world.

Archived