ABC 7 Eyewitness News thread

Jonathan Novak is gone from this market but not from broadcasting.  He was not a good fit with the existing news teams at ABC7LA. More often than not his humor comments were followed by dead silence from those at the desk and the viewers at home. He is a better fit with a midwestern audience. Alex Chaney is a perfect fit for the LA market, although I’m not convinced his suits are all that important.  On the subject of Dallas leaving soon, I highly doubt he’s even thinking such thoughts.  He replaced George Fishbeck who left the station as a very senior citizen. His personality was as distinctive as Dallas’s but in an entirely different way.  The ABC7LA weather master who takes over is not any of the crew currently in the wings. They will need to be a star in their own lane, think Sam Champion or Stephanie Abrams. ABC7LA is the number 1 station and it will need to retain that status.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In other news, there's finally a new hire to start filling all the spots left empty since last year:

Christiane Cordero is coming home to LA and joining ABC 7 in August from WCCO in Minneapolis. (link is to her IG post)

I remember her from during and before the station's George Floyd coverage and it's great seeing her come home.

------

As for Michelle Tuzee, if anyone had any further thoughts on if she might appear again in some capacity, her bio has been scrapped (officially in mid-June).

All the best to her and hope she is doing well.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Brandi Hitt announced her retirement from ABC7 on LinkedIn: 

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/a-childhood-dream-complete-theres-no-describing-ugcPost-6932059766823243777-7yaR

Sam Rubin at KTLA hinted at this several weeks ago and believes Brandi’s  replacement has already been decided but not officially. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Short staffed or Covid at Eyewitness News? It looks like they had to use help the past 2 mornings from KGO with Mike Nicco on the roof for his weather hits since it clashes with ABC7 Mornings and he can’t be in studio for a green screen. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2022 at 11:03 PM, Devin said:

Marc Cora-Robles will be the new weekend morning anchor on KABC

Marc Cota-Robles and Jasmine Viel of KCBS / KCAL have been husband and wife  since their days at KION (CBS affiliate)  in the Salinas-Monterey market a long time ago.   The newscast open there had a voice over "with Marc and Jaz."    I thought they  kind of reminded me of Jim Lampley and Bree Walker at KCBS' "Action News"  back in the day,   a couple but trying not to make too big  a deal of it,  but obvious enough.

Edited by Nick

On 8/20/2022 at 8:02 PM, Nick said:

Marc Cota-Robles and Jasmine Viel of KCBS / KCAL have been husband and wife  since their days at KION (CBS affiliate)  in the Salinas-Monterey market a long time ago.   The newscast open there had a voice over "with Marc and Jaz."    I thought they  kind of reminded me of Jim Lampley and Bree Walker at KCBS' "Action News"  back in the day,   a couple but trying not to make too big  a deal of it,  but obvious enough.

Lampley and Walker were married to other people and had an affair, divorced their spouses and married while at KCBS. It was a noticeable scandal on air. No comparison. L.A.'S MOST VISIBLE Office Romance : When TV news co-anchors Jim Lampley and Bree Walker became a team off the air as well as on, tongues started wagging. What's it like to conduct a romance when so many people are watching? - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Calitalian 2  -- oh, I never meant to compare the circumstances of their relationships;  I  noted that Viel and Cota-Robles were a married couple anchoring at a CBS affiliate (albeit a much, much smaller one)   If I remember right,  Lampley and Walker didn't go public as a couple until after their respective divorces were done, and even then KCBS management did a pretty good job of keeping that private, and didn't grant any interviews until the early part of 1990.   Their on-air cross talk was a little gushy to some,  but they had long been married and there was never any public scandal.

Edited by Nick

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 7:53 PM, Nick said:

Calitalian 2  -- oh, I never meant to compare the circumstances of their relationships;  I  noted that Viel and Cota-Robles were a married couple anchoring at a CBS affiliate (albeit a much, much smaller one)   If I remember right,  Lampley and Walker didn't go public as a couple until after their respective divorces were done, and even then KCBS management did a pretty good job of keeping that private, and didn't grant any interviews until the early part of 1990.   Their on-air cross talk was a little gushy to some,  but they had long been married and there was never any public scandal.

I suggest you read the article I posted. They were not divorced when KCBS was forced to admit Lampley & Bree were to be married. It was never private. It was the talk of all the gossip columns in L.A. early on.

You know, Calitalian 2,  it's funny,   I read that article the very Friday morning it appeared in the Times, and several times afterward too,      but --                                                                                                                                 

--you are absolutely right about that,  it  had escaped me that their respective divorces were final early in 1990.    Beyond that, in a larger sense I think you and I have pretty much nailed down this story,  still an interesting one I  think.  It's good to chat with those who remember what others might dismiss as unimportant.  Thanks for engaging me in this.

About the same time as Nikki Finke's piece,  the Daily News ran a similar story,  not quite as long.  It was written maybe by Ray Richmond, but more likely by the paper's other television writer whose name I simply can't pull up.  It's on the tip of my mind's tongue, but nothing.

Remember the scurrilous things the old Los Angeles magazine columnist Tom Nolan wrote about Jim and Bree?

Edited by Nick

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Devin said:

What’s the line up for the morning news since they have 3 anchors now? Do they all anchor together or split the hours?

Only watched an hour and they anchor together just like how GMA does it. Seem like John & Leslie were the anchor team & Rachel was the newsreader. 

Edited by Media_1904

• 2 weeks later...