ABC 7 Eyewitness News thread

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen any public announcement of this yet, other than somewhat subtle social media changes, but WABC's 7 On Your Side reporter Danielle Leigh has moved to KABC to become an investigative reporter (link to Facebook page). I'm not sure yet if she's doing consumer business (a la Kristine Lazar or Randy Mac) or more deep-dive investigations (a la David Goldstein or Joel Grover), but I always thought it was a little weird that KABC didn't have its own unique brand of "7 On Your Side" investigations and it seems like they could potentially be working to jumpstart a more thorough investigative operation.

Danielle has strong ties to California and the West Coast, having graduated from USC and worked at KING in Seattle and KCRA in Sacramento, in addition to various prior ventures in SoCal.

Her new bio: https://abc7.com/about/newsteam/danielle-leigh/

As for WABC, we should probably keep our eyes peeled for a potential new hire to fill her old spot.

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I haven't seen any public announcement of this yet, other than somewhat subtle social media changes, but WABC's 7 On Your Side reporter Danielle Leigh has moved to KABC to become an investigative reporter (link to Facebook page). I'm not sure yet if she's doing consumer business (a la Kristine Lazar or Randy Mac) or more deep-dive investigations (a la David Goldstein or Joel Grover), but I always thought it was a little weird that KABC didn't have its own unique brand of "7 On Your Side" investigations and it seems like they could potentially be working to jumpstart a more thorough investigative operation.

Danielle has strong ties to California and the West Coast, having graduated from USC and worked at KING in Seattle and KCRA in Sacramento, in addition to various prior ventures in SoCal.

Her new bio: https://abc7.com/about/newsteam/danielle-leigh/

As for WABC, we should probably keep our eyes peeled for a potential new hire to fill her old spot.

KABC did use the '7 On Your Side' moniker for Consumer reports in the early 2000s. But that was when Ric Romero was there before he retired a few years ago.

Edited by CircleSeven

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

KABC did use the '7 On Your Side' moniker for Consumer reports in the early 2000s. But that was when Ric Romero was their before he retired a few years ago.

Yep, you're right; I should've specified that they currently don't have a team built around the "7 on your side" brand or something of the like. It's been 5 years since they've had the brand so I wonder if they'll keep the name if/when they revive it. I will acknowledge that Phillip and Jovana launched the "ABC7 Solutions" earlier this year but I really feel there's more potential all of that could've been more "cutting-edge." LA could always use additional investigative reporting.

"Solutions" is moreso like KGO's "Building a Better Bay Area". where they discuss an array of issues (job hunting, homelessness, race issues, etc.) I wouldn't call this a form of investigative reporting.

They do have an "ABC 7 Investigates", but they're being done by the regular reporters since they don't have an assigned investigative reporter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, bogusabc7breakingnews said:

Where is Michelle Tuzee? She’s been gone most of the summer.  

I’m watching the 11am news right now and they’re promoting tomorrow’s election night coverage, specifically a special 8 pm broadcast with Marc Brown and Ellen Leyva. The on-screen graphic for tomorrow night’s schedule showed Marc Brown and Ellen Leyva as the 11pm anchor team, with video of Marc and Ellen anchoring together in the past. Now I’m really wondering what’s up with Michelle? Is she out? Was Ellen promoted?  Did anyone else catch this? 

Could be health and or personal issues. We just won’t know due to HIPPA privacy. 

we’re dealing with the same issue up here in the Bay at KPIX. Veronica De La Cruz has been off the air since the pandemic started in March, then she came back in July and was last seen in August. She’s an avid tweeter and Instagram poster.

She hasn’t posted anything on Instagram since she went MIA and off the grid. However, she did tweet about Ruth Badger Ginsberg’s passing. 

KPIX did air a promo with all the anchors and reporters for Election night and her photo was up there. Hopefully she will return. *crosses fingers*

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I personally think Cheney is just fine and the criticism isn't warranted here. Novack might just be out for an extended period of time and I personally never viewed him as a full-timer either, even if he's been with the station for years. 

For any avid watchers, in addition to Michelle, two more reporters left in 2020 Q4: Lori Corbin & Gabriela Milian. Sad to see them go, and especially for Lori's role specifically, as I don't think they will be looking to fill it again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 2:33 AM, CircleSeven said:

"Solutions" is moreso like KGO's "Building a Better Bay Area". where they discuss an array of issues (job hunting, homelessness, race issues, etc.) I wouldn't call this a form of investigative reporting.

They do have an "ABC 7 Investigates", but they're being done by the regular reporters since they don't have an assigned investigative reporter.

My station which is an ABC Owned Station in Raleigh WTVD ABC11 is called "ABC 11 Together" based of the "11 together" brand in the 70s and like KGO there being done by regular reporters.

49 minutes ago, Gavin said:

My station which is an ABC Owned Station in Raleigh WTVD ABC11 is called "ABC 11 Together" based of the "11 together" brand in the 70s and like KGO there being done by regular reporters.

In Houston, ABC Owned KTRK ABC 13 still have its "Cares About Texas" campaign. I think its still be used in PSA commercials.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of tonight’s 6pm news, David and Ellen announced the retirement of reporter Miriam Hernandez following a 22-year run at KABC. 

https://www.facebook.com/283074108542071/posts/1639060366276765/?d=n

Edited by bogusabc7breakingnews
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...