Midterms Coverage

hmaxhanson

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And speaking of the local stations...some of them had their own coverage and is already archived on YouTube.

In Milwaukee, WISN should be very proud of their thorough coverage last night (especially talking through where the votes needed to come from for Tony Evers and Josh Kaul to win and pursuing the Milwaukee absentees and legwork through town as what would define who would win), and WTMJ seemed to relax a little bit now that their radio sister is under new management, and focused on the story much more than 'how do we frame this for the talk radio shows in the morning'. WITI was good...but WDJT cutting to infomercials at 1:05am was not their best move, along with having to take Colbert as things got tight (WTMJ didn't bother with Late Night, but at this point there was no point to complain).

I thought Telemundo used the NBC theme. Either way here’s Telemundo’s complete broadcast. With what sounds like talkback before it got started.

Last night MSNBC rolled a Ford commercial that was 100% en espanol. Wonder if that was supposed to have aired on Telemundo.

Despite Sean Hannity with the President, FOX News still finds its way at #1.

Their coverage was... underwhelming... Ed Henry in the wee hours anchoring? Good grief... this may be more proof (if we needed it) that the inmates are running the asylum at the moment...

Last night MSNBC rolled a Ford commercial that was 100% en espanol. Wonder if that was supposed to have aired on Telemundo.

I don’t know. Could be expanding horizons. NBC actually aired a Telemundo spot during Today for one of their Superseries in Spanish but with text saying it was captioned in English.

NBC and Telemundo last I heard’s playout is in 30 Rock and MSNBC is in Englewood Cliffs. I’m not sure how MSNBC playout handles things when the breaks are push backs with data and video. MSNBC either gets the commercials and plays out their own suite or they feed the template with graphics and Kornacki cam to playout. I saw one error where an ad that briefly was put in their “center” template (where there was no cam) when the camera template was airing.

I don’t know. Could be expanding horizons. NBC actually aired a Telemundo spot during Today for one of their Superseries in Spanish but with text saying it was captioned in English.

NBC and Telemundo last I heard’s playout is in 30 Rock and MSNBC is in Englewood Cliffs. I’m not sure how MSNBC playout handles things when the breaks are push backs with data and video. MSNBC either gets the commercials and plays out their own suite or they feed the template with graphics and Kornacki cam to playout. I saw one error where an ad that briefly was put in their “center” template (where there was no cam) when the camera template was airing.

I missed catching MSNBC on Tuesday, but in the past there was a noticeable quality difference between the results airing during programming and the ones airing during breaks, which almost appeared to be in SD. My assumption has been that they've been feeding the results graphic over to Englewood Cliffs via some back channel and they're doing the final assembly of graphics and spots there.

This was the only explanation of the quality difference that made sense to me. There are enough control rooms in 30 Rock that, if they were playing out MSNBC's spots in the building, they could borrow one to assemble the final feed in HD without downconverting.

I missed catching MSNBC on Tuesday, but in the past there was a noticeable quality difference between the results airing during programming and the ones airing during breaks, which almost appeared to be in SD. My assumption has been that they've been feeding the results graphic over to Englewood Cliffs via some back channel and they're doing the final assembly of graphics and spots there.

This was the only explanation of the quality difference that made sense to me. There are enough control rooms in 30 Rock that, if they were playing out MSNBC's spots in the building, they could borrow one to assemble the final feed in HD without downconverting.

It was HD.

It was HD.

I think they deploy some kind of other software/hardware to do those squeeze backs. I'll have to ask around but I do think that kind of software does exist.

They could have very well sent a few reels of commercials to a 30 Rock control room (and it could've very well been ANY free control room at 30 Rock, they could've used 8H for example) and they could've gone back to back from one control room to another.

I think they deploy some kind of other software/hardware to do those squeeze backs. I'll have to ask around but I do think that kind of software does exist.

They could have very well sent a few reels of commercials to a 30 Rock control room (and it could've very well been ANY free control room at 30 Rock, they could've used 8H for example) and they could've gone back to back from one control room to another.

A simple master control switcher can handle image manipulation it and if MSNBC was feeding a graphics line it could be done easily.

Archived