Midterms Coverage

hmaxhanson

At last, it's my turn to create a news coverage thread!

We know that the Classic 3 networks will devote all of primetime to the midterms, as well as most of late night, so now comes the time to ask, what special coverage will your local stations be doing, if any?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MSNBC is going live Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday

6pm Joy Reid

7pm Ari Melber

8pm Stephanie Ruhle

9pm Lawrence O’Donnell

Sunday

9pm Rachel Maddow & Brian Williams with the election team - Chris Matthews, Nicole Wallace, Eugene Robinson and Steve Kornacki.

Fox News won’t produce any network-wide coverage for it’s sister network — departure from previous years (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014) and whatever coverage indeed runs on the broadcast network will be optional.

I’m also assuming that this is for the benefit of Fox stations in states where the gubernatorial or legislative races are hotly contested so that stations can cover on their own if they wish. My home-state of Ohio comes to mind — the governor’s race here is tight and I’d venture into saying very close.

This has to be the first time in at least 30 years the big 3 have dumped primetime for the midterm election

Have to go back to 1998 (maybe even 1994) to have all three hours of primetime devoted to Midterm coverage.

Actual coverage among ABC CBS and NBC technically runs 8 pm ET until 2 am ET/11 pm PT, in order to continue live coverage for the west coast. Late night coverage across ET/CT markets will likely vary greatly. NBC has a live edition of Late Night and CBS a live edition of The Late Show that any coverage, if stations continue, would be book-ended by.

Locally, in Memphis, so far WREG and WMC are doing one-hour newscasts Tuesday Evening, with WMC doing special coverage online beginning at 7 PM.

Have to go back to 1998 (maybe even 1994) to have all three hours of primetime devoted to Midterm coverage.

Actual coverage among ABC CBS and NBC technically runs 8 pm ET until 2 am ET/11 pm PT, in order to continue live coverage for the west coast. Late night coverage across ET/CT markets will likely vary greatly. NBC has a live edition of Late Night and CBS a live edition of The Late Show that any coverage, if stations continue, would be book-ended by.

Locally, in Memphis, so far WREG and WMC are doing one-hour newscasts Tuesday Evening, with WMC doing special coverage online beginning at 7 PM.

If the house and senate races are decided early, could the networks end coverage early and fill 10/9 central with reruns of their primetime shows

If the house and senate races are decided early, could the networks end coverage early and fill 10/9 central with reruns of their primetime shows

No, because the network coverage has already been set and programs pre-empted (nothing on the schedule to go back to). Highly doubt an end result to control of at least the House will be known until late-night anyway.

KSAZ is actually putting election coverage on KUTP until the 9:00 newscast. They aren't the greatest at using Fox 10 Xtra for overflow news programming, but this should work well.

Fox or in-house? When I lived in AZ KSAZ often preferred to cover in-house as opposed to using Fox News, although they’re one of the biggest contributors to NewsEdge and one of Fox’s strongest O&Os.

Based on local listings, it doesn't look like any of the Boston-area stations, including WMUR, are doing any specials of their own -- probably because there aren't really any competitive races in the area, particularly on the Massachusetts side. I imagine they'll have cut-ins during network coverage, though.

That ABC set looks incredible, but where the hell would they be hiding that? I'm going to to completely call B.S. yet, but are we sure that isn't just a rejected design demo?

I’m guessing TVC 2 which is 5,150 sq ft. It’s the only studio that’s empty. TV1 is occupied by Millionaire and is 6,140 sq ft and like TV2 it has a 36’ working height and a 28 foot cyc. TV23 is 12,000 sq ft and is occupied by Dr. Oz but only has a working height of 19’.

WICU/WSEE here in Erie will be airing local election coverage starting at 8pm on WSEE over-the-air subchannel 35.3 (aka Erie News Now Plus.)

Which, btw, is the duo's 24-hour local news and weather channel. Yes, a market that small has its own 24-hour news channel while markets much bigger don't even have something like that (not to go too off-topic on this).

Archived