Midterms Coverage

hmaxhanson

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, they changed their mind and dumped the network programming onto KUTP. This means they will be live and local, including their scheduled newscasts, nearly continuously from 4 to 11 (except for the 6:30 half-hour potentially). This must be a very fresh change—my cable guide does not show it. I'm not sure what KTVK has planned, though they really only have to blow out ET, Wheel and Jeopardy if they want to go continuously live.

Another interesting curiosity is that KNXV, but not KPNX or KPHO, is simply opting to clear all network live tomorrow night, including Jimmy Kimmel Live, by airing it an hour ahead of usual.

I checked via TitanTV...

KSAZ will be live from 4:00-6:30 (regularly), 6:30 for TMZ and then live again from 7:00-11:00 p.m.

KPHO will simulcast KTVK's news at 9:00 p.m. for special election coverage (possibly the first time since KPHO joined CBS when it aired any local news at 9:00 p.m.).

KNXV will cut its weeknight 6:00 p.m. news to a half-hour to join ABC News early at 6:30 p.m. Actually, KNXV will have a special hour-long 10:00 p.m. newscast, pushing back Jimmy Kimmel LIVE to 11:00 p.m., a half-hour later than usual.

KPNX will also go to the network from 7:00-10:00 p.m. and then an extra half-hour of network coverage after its 10:00 p.m. news.

KTVK will stick to script... ET at 6:30, WOF/J! at 7:00/7:30 and 3TV News from 8:00-11:00 p.m.

I checked via TitanTV...

KNXV will cut its weeknight 6:00 p.m. news to a half-hour to join ABC News early at 6:30 p.m. Actually, KNXV will have a special hour-long 10:00 p.m. newscast, pushing back Jimmy Kimmel LIVE to 11:00 p.m., a half-hour later than usual.

Strange — my cable guide has them joining the network live at 6 and airing network coverage and Kimmel live, which is totally different from TitanTV.

Btw, back in my former home market of Miami, the only expansions I'm currently seeing is the following...

WFOR will have a special hour-long 4:00 p.m. newscast and extend the 7:00 p.m. news for Election Day to an hour. In other words, WFOR will air local and national election coverage from 4:00 p.m.-2:00 a.m. (which includes The Late Show because they'll be live talking about the midterms with journalists + CBS' extra 90 minutes afterward).

WPLG will have two hours of coverage from 8:00-10:00 p.m., followed by ABC at 10:00 and then a special hour-long 11:00 p.m. newscast with JKL joined in progress at midnight before another 90 minutes from ABC afterward.

I don't see anything regarding WSVN but I do see them doing something in primetime, preempting FOX. If I know anything from history, WSVN likes to preempt FOX primetime for special news or election coverage.

Nothing on WTVJ's end other than network coverage.

Like their LA sister, WGN in Chicago will bridge their evening to late shows, running coverage from 4-10:30pm, and likely beyond. They'll have competition at 6:30 from WBBM's nightly politics show that's been running since last week, and at 7, with the WLS-produced show on WCIU.

(The newscast on WCIU has its own promo for the special night, making no mention of regular anchor Hosea Sanders, who has been on medical leave for almost 5 months. Weekend morning anchor Mark Rivera, who fills in once in awhile, is featured with other anchor Cheryl Burton. It's an unusual case of a substitute getting official promotion, in any situation.)

MSNBC seems to have their hosts that aren’t named Maddow, Williams, Matthews or Melber accross the country Monday night and I assume Tuesday as well. Lawrence O’Donnell is in LA, Chris Hayes in Dallas and Joy Reid in Florida..

Locally --

WCMH is extending their 7pm newscast tonight with frequent local cut-ins anchored by Colleen Marshall and Mike Jackson.

WBNS is preempting WOF and J! for a special 7pm newscast and will provide frequent cut-ins to CBS News' coverage.

WSYX/WTTE -- no special coverage plans.

Here is an interesting resource from the 1978 election cycle.

We found this old 1978 campaign 'Election Bible" distributed to all the CBS stations. It's a quick guide to all the nations 1978 primary election results and plenty of local facts and figures for the various races across the nation.

On election night , every person working elections at CBS had one of these handy...even Uncle Walter.

You can tell election night was a real nail biter because the upper part of the binding has been chewed away....or just a nervous Leslie Stahl.

elexbook5.thumb.jpeg.5cf76b8ea7d105fe072f7e9ed1833f57.jpeg

elexbook4.thumb.jpeg.6e18935824438de72101b2552f534dcd.jpeg

elexbook1.jpeg.f550847b64015fa87ca9200f78ff04fc.jpeg

elexbook2.thumb.jpeg.df7f30a394c80eeff640993a220c9111.jpeg

elexbook3.thumb.jpeg.b8ea643790c67792fb77f81dffac36dd.jpeg

Been watching a bit of CBS’s coverage, and it’s interesting that Nora O’Donnell is the one leading the show - not Jeff Glor.

Out of the panel I think Norah is the one with the most congresssional and White House experience.

Also, I wish WBAL and Hearst Stations in particular would design their results tickers to fit the space given by the networks. I’m sure the networks have the style guide set up long before Election Day. WBAL squeezes and pushes the network feed pretty bad.

Out of the panel I think Norah is the one with the most congresssional and White House experience.

Also, I wish WBAL and Hearst Stations in particular would design their results tickers to fit the space given by the networks. I’m sure the networks have the style guide set up long before Election Day. WBAL squeezes and pushes the network feed pretty bad.

Tonight will make a good demo tape for her CBS Evening News audition ;)

ABC has assembled the best election night team in my opinion. I remember thinking their team would be really weak when Charlie and Diane announced their retirements.

George as the lead with Jon Karl, Martha Raddatz, Cecilia Vega and David Muir is really solid and was hands down the best team on the big 3 last night.

NBC and CBS were tops, and you couldn't have an election night (midterms or Presidential) without Tom Brokaw and Bob Schieffer respectively. ABC was alright, but that two-story set reeks Peter Jennings/David Brinkley's and should've been reserved for 2020 (the next election, not 20/20 of course). CNN's was okay, MSNBC's was on another TV, and I didn't give a you-know-what about Fox News.

But overall, the best coverage belonged to The Washington Post (anchored by Libby Casey, who I remember very well since Fairbanks): Commercial-free, calm, concise, not over-the-top, and with pleasing graphics that would equal the local stations'.

And speaking of the local stations...some of them had their own coverage and are already archived on YouTube.

Archived