CNN going HD September (?)

tigermichal

• 2 weeks later...

TWC is going HD too, but I heard it was in early 2008 for TWC.

Time Warner Cable is in HD. I asked if the CNN HD will be available in HD on Time Warner. Obviously you think TWC is a channel, which it is not, and you made up some bogus details so you sounded like you actually meant something.

It's a misunderstanding between news geeks...

The TWC DMA is thinking of = Time Warner Cable

The TWC tdrtv is thinking of = The Weather Channel

Finally, more television stations are going HD! Is FOX News available in HD? If not, they should try to compete with CNN!

Four simple name I don't want to see in High Definition : Gibson, Hume, Colmes, O'Reilly

Finally, more television stations are going HD! Is FOX News available in HD? If not, they should try to compete with CNN!

Four simple name I don't want to see in High Definition : Gibson, Hume, Colmes, O'Reilly

Oh, come on! Alan Colmes is a stud!

And cbsnewsfan, FNC doesn't have to try to compete with CNN. HD or not, they beat CNN ratings wise quite consistently.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since September is right around the corner, I found this little gem while I was trolling around the Web looking for more CNN HD information:

hdsheet073107cnnrn3.jpg

There was also some discussion over on AVS Forum that a few cable companies are planning on adding CNN HD on September 1, which is...tomorrow. I'm not sure of the validity of that, and Comcast here in San Jose has not said a word about it, which concerns me. Anyway, I can't wait to see Anderson in HD!

It's what the reports are saying, and looking at it, I wonder if CNN will become like ESPN where they'll seem to constantly mention "this is also available on (channel title) HD"

Well CNN HD is going to be just like CNN, but in HD. It's gonna the same programming, if that's what you mean.

Well, yeah, I just mean will they do what ESPN does and usually put a graphic on the screen with the reminder of the HD network, or will it just be one of those things in the background that might be mentioned occasionally

Well, HD most likely launched this morning, and what's changed on the main network......

new_CNN_live_bug.png

A new/modified LIVE bug with a kinda semi-transparent black background instead of the red line from the left.

Well, like the article inside an article said, the network still has alot of backend work to do to make the transformation into HD in just their studios, though NYC appears to be ready for them. Still, the graphics for the network aren't that bad, though a refresh would probably be nice after this style living for roughly 3+ years now (I think?).

More likely than not CNN's current lower thirds, fullscreens, and OTS's are HD-ready. They're using VizRT for all their graphics right now and that system is capable of cropping down HD graphics to SD framesizes. I'm willing to bet the lower third bar extends farther left and right than we can currently see.

Just a little update to this thread...

CNN HD did indeed go live last Saturday (September 1), but the only place to see it right now is at the CNN Center in Atlanta, and I presume there's also a few HDTVs showing it in the Time Warner Center in New York. DirecTV will be the only place you can find it starting September 16, when DirecTV's new MPEG4 HD channels are officially launched. There was also some talk of CNN HD coming to Time Warner Cable subscribers by the end of the month.

Graphics-wise, there is a separate CNN HD bug on the HD simulcast, but other than that, everything is the same as the standard definition channel. As was previously reported, the only shows in HD are those originating from the Time Warner Center in New York, everything out of the CNN Center and Washington is in 4:3 SD with pillarboxes.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update to this thread...

CNN HD did indeed go live last Saturday (September 1), but the only place to see it right now is at the CNN Center in Atlanta, and I presume there's also a few HDTVs showing it in the Time Warner Center in New York. DirecTV will be the only place you can find it starting September 16, when DirecTV's new MPEG4 HD channels are officially launched. There was also some talk of CNN HD coming to Time Warner Cable subscribers by the end of the month.

Graphics-wise, there is a separate CNN HD bug on the HD simulcast, but other than that, everything is the same as the standard definition channel. As was previously reported, the only shows in HD are those originating from the Time Warner Center in New York, everything out of the CNN Center and Washington is in 4:3 SD with pillarboxes.

DirecTV launched their new HD channels this morning, and CNN was among them. Was able to catch part of American Morning earlier Today and it really looks fantastic, though of course it would be nice to have a completely new set of graphics. I imagine CNN is targeting November of next year (The election) To have the rest of their operations converted to HD, though I bet like in 04 and 06 it will be mostly based in NYC anyway.

Archived