Network Ten Re-launch

fox2

You can hear the hint of the CBS News influence at the very top of the bulletins - except I think 10 does it better.

I would not hate it if CBS adopted this - at the national or local level.

EDIT: That’s not Lee Lin Chin (formerly on SBS) on the VOs is it? It sounded an awful lot like her.

EDIT 2: Another forum says it’s Jennifer Byrne, formerly of (Australian) ABC. Could’ve fooled me!

I rifled through the Perth and Sydney newscasts. It was enjoyable to see how the presentation differed from a typical US newscast.

For one, it's a serious hour with a decent story selection. The graphics are excellent and there is a defined look and feel to the newscasts. There isn't really any fluff to be had! It had to be jarring for the WIN viewers, barring an overhaul of the WIN newscasts, to go to their local news and find it kind of...drab and a little out of date in comparison.

The other thing that stood out to me is that you'd never see the weather that late in an hour newscast in the US. (It's the last item!) There's a weather bump late in the A-block, but it doesn't contain an extended forecast. Weather must not be as compelling a reason for people to tune in to newscasts down there as it is stateside.

I originally had intended to just do Perth, but I went through Sydney as well because I was surprised to see there wasn't a single live report in the Perth news! (There were a couple of look-lives, but they weren't all that live-looking.) Is that just normal given the time difference?

Ten news anchor Sandra Sully - Australia's best-known newsreader - has been with the network since 1990:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgpkzOfhde8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=Y6kCM7rGZmQ;t=31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=Z-LUJGBaYj0;t=183

Despite Ten's many changes and huge downfalls, she is still the queen of the network.

Despite Ten's many changes and huge downfalls, she is still the queen of the network.
Not to take anything away from Sandra Sully but especially if the ratings most nights are anything to go by, I'd probably still say that Nine's Peter Overton (Sunday-Thursday) and Deborah Knight (Friday/Saturday, was co-presenter on Ten Sydney for 5-6 years until being replaced by Sandra Sully post-2011 Late News axing) are the true king and queen of Sydney TV news right now. :)

Anyway, the general On-Air Presentation package of the new 10 is alright (for Australian TV the logo is bold and distinctive and who knows, maybe it even looks good enough to last 27 years!), but the presentation of the news could do with some tweaking and refining around the edges. The backdrop isn't great, while the "10 News First" brand is seriously flawed because the other networks do more.

Retaining the four note signature was definitely the right thing to do music wise but I personally still prefer the 2013-18 version which for my liking, was probably the best news theme Ten, if not Australian TV has ever had.

Personally I hope Ten...or 10 will eventually bring in new sets, as well as a level of HD production in every market that's at least on-par with that of Nine (the current Australian leader in HD-produced TV news), if not better.

Not to take anything away from Sandra Sully but especially if the ratings most nights are anything to go by, I'd probably still say that Nine's Peter Overton (Sunday-Thursday) and Deborah Knight (Friday/Saturday, was co-presenter on Ten Sydney for 5-6 years until being replaced by Sandra Sully post-2011 Late News axing) are the true king and queen of Sydney TV news right now. :)

Anyway, the general On-Air Presentation package of the new 10 is alright (for Australian TV the logo is bold and distinctive and who knows, maybe it even looks good enough to last 27 years!), but the presentation of the news could do with some tweaking and refining around the edges. The backdrop isn't great, while the "10 News First" brand is seriously flawed because the other networks do more.

Retaining the four note signature was definitely the right thing to do music wise but I personally still prefer the 2013-18 version which for my liking, was probably the best news theme Ten, if not Australian TV has ever had.

Personally I hope Ten...or 10 will eventually bring in new sets, as well as a level of HD production in every market that's at least on-par with that of Nine (the current Australian leader in HD-produced TV news), if not better.

But come on... at least on Ten's standards, nobody in news on Ten is recognized more than Mrs. Sully.

• 1 month later...

Archived