Network Ten Re-launch

fox2

This is a winner. They completely matched 10's youthful brand with vibrant colo(u)rs, though I'm still wondering how the little fold thing plays into the whole thing. Just changing to the number is a way to set new expectations (and boost morale after going into administration).

The supporting application for 10 Daily (which seems to be just an entertainment-oriented social vertical? help) is...meh, I guess:

7y_deFUc_400x400.jpg

So, they're going by Channel 10 now, instead of Network Ten (or can both be used)? Wowzers, they're definitely pulling out all the stops to refresh themselves. Good for 10.

They seem to have consistency problems?

The main account is @channelten with "Channel 10" as the name. @channel10 is used by Channel 10 in Israel (which BTW has the spiffy 10.tv domain).

Of course they promote it with the tweet "We are going to bring you all the backstage news, announcements and exciting new shows from the Network 10 Upfronts tonight! Stay tuned!"

We're also seeing the step-and-repeat which features some of the brand extensions, including the "Boss" and "Peach" logos mentioned in the Blackbox report:

[MEDIA=twitter]1057515147340775424[/MEDIA]

Here's the 90-second relaunch promo:

[MEDIA=twitter]1057536977325633536[/MEDIA]

A bit inconsistent, but the best element uses the circle shapes and similar to make faces. There are also tastes of the Boss and Peach extensions, but not much to go on. (It's clear who they're targeting each one to just by the name, though...)

What keeps this thing going is the high energy, the feeling of optimism, the sort of "it's a new day at 10" that this network seems to have really needed.

Taking a look at the news material, it looks good but would like to see a full open etc. (Of course, that requires waiting for an actual news bulletin.) They kept the musical signature which is the right move.

It took me seeing the description of Boss as "strong character-led content" — classic media-ese — to figure out what they were doing. I think I like Peach more than Boss in terms of design direction; it's more expressive while Boss seems to be more one-note.

WIN also got the update treatment, but the rounded "WIN" logo really looks like a poor fit for the 10 "lotto ball":

I think “Enforcer” would’ve made a better theme, because after they Are owned by CBS, are they not? And yes, I realize Baltimore’s WJZ isn’t using it, but 10 should.

Retaining the musical signature 10 has used continuously

was the right call.

I think “Enforcer” would’ve made a better theme, because after they Are owned by CBS, are they not? And yes, I realize Baltimore’s WJZ isn’t using it, but 10 should.

I don't think using a certain theme used by the company's handful of stations in one country, would be a good one to utilize in another where the viewers will more than probably be alienated by it -- even if the network is now owned by the company that licenses it.

Archived