KTLA extends 11 PM newscast by 5 minutes

fan of la tv

I know this is a very small change but have noticed over the past few weeks that KTLA's 11 PM newscast now runs 35 minutes to mirror the O&O newscasts. Just wondering if their was any talk of this on air or why? I wonder if they've noticed significant tune-out as soon as 11:30 hits and this move will help people stay on the channel longer?

I know this is a very small change but have noticed over the past few weeks that KTLA's 11 PM newscast now runs 35 minutes to mirror the O&O newscasts. Just wondering if their was any talk of this on air or why? I wonder if they've noticed significant tune-out as soon as 11:30 hits and this move will help people stay on the channel longer?

The move allows for another 1:30 -2:00 commercial break.

• 3 weeks later...
So, when will we see an expansion of the weekday 11pm newscast to midnight on ktla?

They're just getting in line with KABC on Saturday (11-12 midnight) and KNBC on Sunday (11-12 midnight). On Sunday, KCBS runs CBS 2 Sports Central for :15 min. at 11:30 pm and KABC now has ABC 7's Sunday Night Sports from 11:35 pm for :25 minutes. KABC use to have news in that 11:35-12 midnight slot on Sunday for many years.

Archived