Scripps to acquire Cordillera

IndoTVNewsFan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t wait for all the “when will WLEX get the Scripps graphics?” and “will Scripps replace the 2012 graphics now?” threads to emerge ;)

Seriously, though, it’s a smart deal and outside of KVOA, a totally clean deal.

Can’t wait for all the “when will WLEX get the Scripps graphics?” and “will Scripps replace the 2012 graphics now?” threads to emerge ;)

Ha. I don't want WLEX to get rid of their current graphics. I love their look. Glad it's not the Sinclair look.

I really had a hunch Nexstar was going to buy Cordillera, but I was wrong. I'm happy KRIS-TV is getting new owners, but what's going to happen to

soon-to-be former sister station KZTV?

BTW: KRIS 6 announces the sale - https://kristv.com/news/local-news/2018/10/29/e-w-scripps-company-buying-cordillera-communications/

I’m shocked they are keeping the MTN stations, but otherwise it’s a good deal. KVOA to Quincy? Wow!!! Didn’t expect that at all.

Well, Scripps has a duopoly in Tuscon already between KGUN and KWBA, though is it unexpected because of the ratings performance of KVOA and KGUN or...?

I really had a hunch Nexstar was going to buy Cordillera, but I was wrong. I'm happy KRIS-TV is getting new owners, but what's going to happen to

soon-to-be former sister station KZTV?

BTW: KRIS 6 announces the sale - https://kristv.com/news/local-news/2018/10/29/e-w-scripps-company-buying-cordillera-communications/

I would guess that nothing would change and the SSA will continue.

Well, Scripps has a duopoly in Tuscon already between KGUN and KWBA.

Yes, but Quincy has nothing at all anywhere close to Tucson. That's a big leap for them, when other companies have assets close by.

I know Meredith and Nexstar are both in Phoenix and NPG is in Yuma, so they would have expanded their breadth, which Quincy takes a big leap (I have this feeling they bid for everything and came up short). I think Gray may have sat this one out since they are too busy with the Raycom deal and their conflicts were too much anyway.

As for Sinclair, probably Evening Post shoved any offers from them into the trash bin right away. They probably saw what happened lately and didn't want anything to do with them, even if they sent the highest bid.

Yes, but Quincy has nothing at all anywhere close to Tucson. That's a big leap for them, when other companies have assets close by.

While Quincy is a pretty good owner and has a decent number of NBC affiliates, this is a major misfit regionally. Scripps is right to keep what it has, but nobody would ever have said Quincy would step in for KVOA if they were asked last week who would buy it.

While Quincy is a pretty good owner and has a decent number of NBC affiliates, this is a major misfit regionally. Scripps is right to keep what it has, but nobody would ever have said Quincy would step in for KVOA if they were asked last week who would buy it.

I'm going to guess that Quincy bid for everything (that would have been a clean deal), and they were a runner-up but couldn't put up the same amount of money. That said, I would have thought Nexstar or Meredith would have been more likely for KVOA in a Scripps spinoff, with NPG a second-tier candidate.

Another thing: KXXV won't be isolated in Texas; they will be a sister station to KRIS. Also, the MTN stations will be reunited with KIVI (they were co-owned for a while before KIVI was sold to Journal).

I would guess that nothing would change and the SSA will continue.

I wonder if Gray will buy KZTV and keep the SSA with KRIS, similar to the situations they'll have in West Palm Beach and Boise once the Gray-Raycom deal is complete. I doubt it, but it's possible.

I definitely didn't expect Scripps to be the buyer, especially considering how small some (all?) of the MTN markets are. I wonder if Scripps will be eying a certain station in the one Montana market they won't have stations in...

Also: TWO TRANSACTIONS! See, Tribune? It's not that hard.

I'm satisfied with this move. For those small-market Montana stations Scripps is probably the best they could have ever hoped for. Too bad Cordillera is going away. I've only ever heard good things about them. As others have said, it's very interesting that a company like Scripps is expanding into these really small markets.

Fun fact about Montana: employees who sign a contract are not allowed to make salary, so everyone at those MTN stations are hourly. Source: friend works for one of them.

I know you're joking, but it is something to think about it.

I wonder if Gray will buy KZTV and keep the SSA with KRIS, similar to the situations they'll have in West Palm Beach and Boise once the Gray-Raycom deal is complete. I doubt it, but it's possible.

It also exists in Lansing, although Scripps is the junior partner there. None of them can become legal duopolies as they all are top-4 stations.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/224512/scripps-buying-15-cordillera-stations-521m/

Some more details:

* Cordillera was sold via auction. There were other unnamed buyers. I am guessing Quincy came in 2nd and that is how they ended up with KVOA (I know we mentioned them as a second-tier possibility). I have this feeling (it's not confirmed) that Sinclair had the highest bid, but the bid was denied due to their behavior.

* Scripps is still very much in play for other deals, and while Cox wasn't mentioned specifically, that is right up their alley.

* This was indeed 2 separate deals from Cordillera - KVOA was off of them, not off of Scripps. It's a lot easier to piece things apart when you don't have shareholders and hedge funds to worry about though, even though I agree Starboard Value is on crack right now. That also gives more flexibility to pick the right buyer, not just the highest bidder.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/224512/scripps-buying-15-cordillera-stations-521m/

Some more details:

* Cordillera was sold via auction. There were other unnamed buyers. I am guessing Quincy came in 2nd and that is how they ended up with KVOA (I know we mentioned them as a second-tier possibility). I have this feeling (it's not confirmed) that Sinclair had the highest bid, but the bid was denied due to their behavior.

* Scripps is still very much in play for other deals, and while Cox wasn't mentioned specifically, that is right up their alley.

* This was indeed 2 separate deals from Cordillera - KVOA was off of them, not off of Scripps. It's a lot easier to piece things apart when you don't have shareholders and hedge funds to worry about though, even though I agree Starboard Value is on crack right now. That also gives more flexibility to pick the right buyer, not just the highest bidder.

Poor Scott wasn't FIRST this time....

It also exists in Lansing, although Scripps is the junior partner there. None of them can become legal duopolies as they all are top-4 stations.

There is no SSA between WILX and WSYM. WILX does produce WSYM's newscasts, but otherwise Scripps operates the station themselves.

Archived