NETSCOUT Systems

DENDude

I was out earlier this evening and there were 2 mast trucks parked in my neighborhood near the University of Denver from NETSCOUT Systems, when I asked what they were doing I was told they were measuring microwave signal strength for KUSA, KTVD, KCNC & Bonneville International Inc's radio stations. Why can't the stations do this themselves? I would think they would have the ability to do so. Am I wrong?

Why can't the stations do this themselves?

Time and money, mainly. These are also very specialized tools that require special training to read and understand.

Almost anything involving RF propagation gets contracted out to a third party.

Thinking about this NETSCOUT Systems could be working for University of Denver. They could be deploying or testing a new wireless service in a band that is closer to TV and Radio spectrum. The stations you mentioned could be at the most risk and generally TV and Radio receive more protection than WiFi.

Thinking about this NETSCOUT Systems could be working for University of Denver. They could be deploying or testing a new wireless service in a band that is closer to TV and Radio spectrum. The stations you mentioned could be at the most risk and generally TV and Radio receive more protection than WiFi.

If NETSCOUT is involved there are all kinds of things they could be up to.

The OP said they were involved in microwave propagation with mobile units.

Think of it this way...

TV stations have these authrizations for mobile and portable microwave applications. it's not restricted to just audio and video. If fact you can move huge amounts of data over a tv station live truck microwave path if you want to.

My kids maybe signed an NDA about this stuff so I don't want to get them in trouble...

But...

If you study the limits and abilities of your microwave systems in a "test" market...you may just somehow be able to expand, exploit or monetize that microwave system.

In other words...

They are testing future stuff and they are not going to tell you exactly what they are up too...but you can probably figure it out if,you really want to drill down into what NETSCOUT, The FCC and all those players have discussed in the past.

(hint: NETSCOUT is a bunch of other operations with many past operating units, so look under the other operations units.)

As you kids say to us old people...

"Google It Gramps!"

Think of it this way...

TV stations have these authrizations for mobile and portable microwave applications. it's not restricted to just audio and video. If fact you can move huge amounts of data over a tv station live truck microwave path if you want to.

My kids maybe signed an NDA about this stuff so I don't want to get them in trouble...

But...

If you study the limits and abilities of your microwave systems in a "test" market...you may just somehow be able to expand, exploit or monetize that microwave system.

More than aware stations have set up their own LTE “cellular network” using their precious slice of BAS.

More than aware stations have set up their own LTE “cellular network” using their precious slice of BAS.

Now you have to make that LTE network investment pay-off. Not much reason for some photog and reporter to have a link like that when the public systems are all built out and fairly reliable. So I don't know what the end game will be without knowing exactly what "RF" they were 'testing".

I honestly think it's some kind of death-ray testing.

I shall don the proper attire...

shark-tin-foil-.jpg.fb0e5e0682ddab3b9e75f2ffd7f08fa6.jpg

Archived