Megyn Kelly Today Officially Cancelled

rkolsen

It’s official. Here’s a what the NBC apps have pushed out.

NBC has canceled "Megyn Kelly Today" days after the anchor was embroiled in the midst of a controversy following her remarks regarding blackface.

“Megyn Kelly Today is not returning. Next week, the 9 a.m. hour will be hosted by other TODAY co-anchors,” an NBC spokesperson said.

The announcement comes as Kelly is in talks with NBC News about her future at the network, which sources said were likely to include her leaving the company.

More to come...

At what point will NBC throw in the towel and take out the "fourth" hour of The Today Show?

9am is not exactly the greatest time of day, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of NBC affiliates that would much rather run a local newscast or even a lifestyle show during that time....

The Hoda and Kathie Lee hour has morphed into its own thing, much like GMA day has become as a third hour of GMA. This way, the affiliates have a little more flexibility in scheduling and are not bogged down by four hours of The Today Show, which IMHO, ran it's course LONGGG before Matt Lauer got canned.....

Nobody watched MKT in the first place.

I think in the end, NBC will expand Kathie Lee & Hoda's show to two hours.

NBC would better served by letting affiliates have 9am, then showing KLG & Hoda. Of course, having Today's Take back at 9am wouldn't hurt either.

Move the two drunk ladies to 9AM, and bring back Concentration at 10AM-- we've got reruns of the Trebek version on Buzzr, so it's clear NBC may have softened their stance on the show. As for the 10:30 timeslot, I dunno. Maybe another game show.

Move the two drunk ladies to 9AM, and bring back Concentration at 10AM-- we've got reruns of the Trebek version on Buzzr, so it's clear NBC may have softened their stance on the show. As for the 10:30 timeslot, I dunno. Maybe another game show.

Those game shows aren’t coming back. There's no audience for them, or a large enough audience for NBC to turn a profit from a revival.

Those game shows aren’t coming back. There's no audience for them, or a large enough audience for NBC to turn a profit from a revival.

Agreed on that part. The best move would be to expand KLG & Hoda to two hours (maybe even take over MKT's studio like they did for the Olympics) or start a new hour of hard news to compete with CBS This Morning.

NBC would better served by letting affiliates have 9am, then showing KLG & Hoda. Of course, having Today's Take back at 9am wouldn't hurt either.

Real bright move of them letting Tamron Hall go for this.

I’d laugh if a sizable amount of NBC affiliates wind up picking Tamron’s forthcoming daytime talk show in the 9am hour.

This decision to remove megyn kelly is not just from this one comment She was never a good fit

I don't know. To be honest, I thought she was legitimatly trying to make a fresh start at NBC, right after being burned by Trump and Fox News. I wanted to believe that Fox News was forcing her to be the bitch she was, and she wanted to go somewhere to show her trure apolitical colors.

But maybe your right. Let's remember that Greta Van Sustren, NBC's other Fox News power play, also didn't fit well.

Hoda will be on air 7:00 to 11:00?

Local affiliate talent do 4-hour morning shows daily all the time. Hoda could probably handle it. That said, I'm still surprised she didn't give up her hour with Kathy Lee once she became full co-anchor.

I think in the end, NBC will expand Kathie Lee & Hoda's show to two hours.

Bad idea. Kathie Lee wants to retire soon and Hoda does not want to anchor four hours straight.

At what point will NBC throw in the towel and take out the "fourth" hour of The Today Show?

9am is not exactly the greatest time of day, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of NBC affiliates that would much rather run a local newscast or even a lifestyle show during that time....

The Hoda and Kathie Lee hour has morphed into its own thing, much like GMA day has become as a third hour of GMA. This way, the affiliates have a little more flexibility in scheduling and are not bogged down by four hours of The Today Show, which IMHO, ran it's course LONGGG before Matt Lauer got canned.....

I just don’t see them giving it back to the affiliates. Too much money to be lost at network level.

Nobody watched MKT in the first place.

Will repeat too much money to be lost by giving hour back to affiliates.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for game shows, but I don’t think the networks share that enthusiasm. And let’s be honest, most of the game shows you bring up most people don’t remember.

Agreed on that part. The best move would be to expand KLG & Hoda to two hours (maybe even take over MKT's studio like they did for the Olympics) or start a new hour of hard news to compete with CBS This Morning.

CBS TM runs 7-9am, so having hard news at 9 would not compete with CBS. Plus Today is light on the hard news from 7-9, why would they want to do at 9?

This decision to remove megyn kelly is not just from this one comment She was never a good fit

Let’s be real, people hated her show before it even started. That’s how polarized our country has become.

Bad idea. Kathie Lee wants to retire soon and Hoda does not want to anchor four hours straight.

I didn't think of that. Maybe Hoda can do it. She loves her job, and I'm sure she would much oblige to doing 20 hours a week on air. And, KLG may retire? Who would be Hoda's new drinking buddy?

I just don’t see them giving it back to the affiliates. Too much money to be lost at network level.

Of course they wouldn't give 9am back to the affiliates! They went through the trouble of taking the hour away from them back in 2000 (a move that yanked Regis & Kathie Lee from most NBC affiliates carrying it), and I'm sure they don't want to give that hour back to them..

CBS TM runs 7-9am, so having hard news at 9 would not compete with CBS. Plus Today is light on the hard news from 7-9, why would they want to do at 9?

Why not? Fox affiliates in big cities have local news at 9am, so why shouldn't NBC try it on a national scale? This could also be the chance for Today to become respected as a legit news program again.

Why not? Fox affiliates in big cities have local news at 9am, so why shouldn't NBC try it on a national scale? This could also be the chance for Today to become respected as a legit news program.

CBS This Morning was created as an alternative to Today and GMA, and hard news is the formula that works for CBS in the mornings (except Saturdays). What works for one network won’t work for another.

CBS This Morning was created as an alternative to Today and GMA, and hard news is the formula that works for CBS in the mornings (except Saturdays). What works for one network won’t work for another.

Since all my ideas don't seem to work with all of you, why don't we just bring back Later Today? :)

I don't know. To be honest, I thought she was legitimatly trying to make a fresh start at NBC, right after being burned by Trump and Fox News. I wanted to believe that Fox News was forcing her to be the bitch she was, and she wanted to go somewhere to show her trure apolitical colors.

But maybe your right. Let's remember that Greta Van Sustren, NBC's other Fox News power play, also didn't fit well.

She could have been on ABC, CBS or FOX and the result would have likely been the same. Outside of the world of cable, I doubt the majority of people/viewers knew of her and/or cared enough to find out. She had an uphill battle going from cable to broadcast and she just wasn't skilled enough to make it work. She is very much her own worst enemy.

NBC didn't handle this situation well (to the surprise of no one) and should have just briefly mentioned it on Today (not Nightly) the following day and been done with it. Letting/Having Al, Craig or anyone else admonishment her on-air served no purpose. While I am in no way suggesting what she said is okay, I don't think this was the best way to handle this dilemma.

Daytime TV is morphing fast into "filler material"....a slew of talk shows about stuff that replaced either Soap Operas or pre-emptable Game Shows that affiliates had some leverage in scheduling and clearance.

At some point, the station groups and the networks are going to outmode the concept of syndication because they'll take up all the airwaves with their material!

Daytime TV is morphing fast into "filler material"....a slew of talk shows about stuff that replaced either Soap Operas or pre-emptable Game Shows that affiliates had some leverage in scheduling and clearance.

At some point, the station groups and the networks are going to outmode the concept of syndication because they'll take up all the airwaves with their material!

Here in Columbus after NBC pulled the plug on Megan Mullally’s talker — which ran in the 10am hour — in January 2007, WCMH took iVillage (another NBCU talker) through Summer 07 and later a same-day run of EXTRA and an infomercial in the 10am hour! Stations typically aren’t that strong in mid-mornings.

By that logic, let's bring back Caesar's Challenge as well. :p

But seriously, if MKT did worse than Today's Take 3, then NBC should just go back to that, at least temporarily.

NBC is not going to give up an hour of the Today show to affiliates. It's the most profitable show on broadcast TV. They could put up color bars, Richard Spencer, or the Mao Tse Tung Hour and advertisers would still buy ads. As absurd as the four-hour format is, they aren't going to give it up.

...NBC didn't handle this situation well (to the surprise of no one) and should have just briefly mentioned it on Today (not Nightly) the following day and been done with it. Letting/Having Al, Craig or anyone else admonishment her on-air served no purpose. While I am in no way suggesting what she said is okay, I don't think this was the best way to handle this dilemma.

I think brass must have seized on this as an opportunity to can her once and for all. In the normal course of events, a single misstep like this one (followed by multiple apologies from her) wouldn't have been cause for complete cancellation of a show.

Archived