New WUSA ”Get Up DC” Graphics

evwalker0901

...except that the graphics remain the same and it's just a new intro for their morning show?

The L3s are now from the main package. All opens for the AM show are new. They previously used L3s that were similar to the KXTV/WTSP look before the most recent Tegna mandate.

Im 95% sure this was locally done. I’ve seen some of the work in process that their art director has done and this seems like his doing.

I could be wrong but I saw something similar from a Hothaus site or one of their designers.

I could be wrong but I saw something similar from a Hothaus site or one of their designers.

Someone in the shoutbox posted yesterday a direct link to a WUSA designers account. Typically they don’t upload stuff that isn’t theirs.

Someone in the shoutbox posted yesterday a direct link to a WUSA designers account. Typically they don’t upload stuff that isn’t theirs.

Does this look familiar? This is a designer that works or has worked for Hothaus. He has several HH packages on his site...but NBC too. I don't see graphics for Get Up DC on his site but this looks a lot like the talent resolve portion of the WUSA package. I think this guy or someone at Hothaus designed it and the WUSA designer versioned it out. That's why he or she could post frames.

His site: https://jeffsteed.myportfolio.com/

1485886906_ScreenShot2018-11-01at5_54_36PM.thumb.png.58ca7d3931b32d1a03d0c0f6a380a0e1.png

screen-shot-2018-11-01-at-11-12-55-am-png.6718

Im 95% sure this was locally done. I’ve seen some of the work in process that their art director has done and this seems like his doing.

I guess the 5% wins this one.

I guess the 5% wins this one.

Yup. You’re right.

Typically art directors and other creative professionals don’t publish their work online unless they did part of the work. Here’s the video I was talking about.

Edit: Looking at Jeff Steeds Page it appears the art director I was so sure of designed the logo. So that explains him uploading the above video. I’m also pretty sure he’s a former member and still lurks here.

Yup. You’re right.

Typically art directors and other creative professionals don’t publish their work online unless they did part of the work. Here’s the video I was talking about.

Edit: Looking at Jeff Steed's page it appears the art director I was so sure of designed the logo. So that explains him uploading the above video. I’m also pretty sure he’s a former member and still lurks here.

Also on Jeff Steed's site he said he did the "overall" design. That may translate that Dylan Wilbur or his team did versioning. The YouTube clip has several designs not on Steed's page. So it WAS kinda both of them.

Ugh it pains me to read a current moderator of this very website refer to him as a "former member."

He's a bit more significant than that.

Okay at the time I wrote that I wasn’t sure of his status. I’m thinking he was a Pack of Seven member. I’m relatively new here based on the old timers and think I know who the Pack of Seven were. However I don’t know professional names vs online.

I’m relatively new here based on the old timers

Not to derail this thread anymore, but... "old timers"

knife into chest

Anyway, the Wake Up graphics are great. WUSA is lucky to have an in-house designer as great as this guy.

Not to derail this thread anymore, but... "old timers"

knife into chest

Anyway, the Wake Up graphics are great. WUSA is lucky to have an in-house designer as great as this guy.

Another knife to the chest is that from what I heard is that the board goes back to 2001, I’ve only been here half of its existence.

Thought I'd chime in so you all could save some energy to speculate on other threads:

I've wanted to get my hands on Get Up DC since coming to the station in March. I had developed a logo and some boards for a redesign which were well received, we had targeted a 2019 relaunch. Plans changed and we decided in early October to target a November sweeps launch. I was already spread thin with some other major projects and Hothaus had already done some work for WFAA that was similar to what I had in mind for WUSA, so I worked with them to launch this. We worked pretty closely together on the design, they did a lot of the heavy lifting on the motion, I built some of my own elements and shot the photos for the open. This all came together very quickly, 90% of it being completed the day before launch. There's still a lot that hasn't rolled out on TV yet. I've known the team at Hothaus for over 10 years and have been trying hard to work with them since the KTVU redesign stopped dead in it's tracks the day after the Cox/Fox trade announcement in 2014 while I was Design Director there.

For what it's worth, I did launch this site as a Yahoo group 17 years ago, brought in many different co-admins over the years, merged with several other media sites and forums, and gave control away entirely about 11 years ago. Nothing good has come from this side project except for some crucial connections in this business and a few very great lifelong friends I've made along the way.

Anyway... back to work...

Archived