MSNBC overhauls 3A

rkolsen

Well we now know the extent of work that went on last week and over the weekend. The balcony was removed, leaving the old screens (I’d imagine they’re next to go - the large upper one they’d show weather on when weather came from the balcony appeared black) and the videowall opposite the balcony extended with a curved portion. The curved portion starts at the bottom of where a newsdesk would be and allows a more natural view of guests that aren’t in studio to appear as opposed to a TV moved to the desk.

I’m amazed they did this over a few days. Especially with the studio in use for First Look, Morning Joe and The 11th Hour. Deadline: White House came from 4E and The Rachel Maddow Show came from the large insert studio.

[MEDIA=twitter]1054486637919567873[/MEDIA]

So is no part of 3A original at this point (not including monitors that have simply been switched to higher res?)

The monitors on the wall the balcony are original or have been replaced with the same size. The bottom one of the two stacked rear projection screens was replaced with an LED screen.

If they did this in a week I imagine they could change out the other wall pretty quickly before Election Day.

• 1 month later...

Somehow I missed seeing the upgraded wall in action until tonight. Not having cable really makes watching cable news difficult. 🤔

It looks like they made the video wall taller, too? It's getting to be a bit much. A few more years and that whole studio will be LED wall.

Going back to the discussion about how fast they replaced the wall: that's what they're designed for. LED walls basically come in one design: modular. Even if they're on a "permanent" install, these are the same types of LED wall you can see at a concert or a trade show or a car show or just in a mall showing a loop of ads for a store. The old wall likely came down and the new one went up and was operating in a couple hours. 

I've built and struck three video walls of two different models. Get a team of five people who can focus and know what they're doing and it takes <30 minutes to build a 30x20 wall. 

On 12/12/2018 at 3:15 AM, Weeters said:

Going back to the discussion about how fast they replaced the wall: that's what they're designed for. LED walls basically come in one design: modular. Even if they're on a "permanent" install, these are the same types of LED wall you can see at a concert or a trade show or a car show or just in a mall showing a loop of ads for a store. The old wall likely came down and the new one went up and was operating in a couple hours. 

No the thing that surprised me was them taking down the balcony over the weekend. I would think more would be into it. 

• 1 year later...

MSNBC has again updated studio 3A, but more specifically the newsroom side of the space. I am not sure if this addition is permanent or temporary for the election, but it is interesting nevertheless. I am interested to see how MSNBC uses this structure on election night.

For those familiar with the general layout of the space, this towering video wall and surrounding knee high wall are in the newsroom part of the set blocking the window into 3C (Nightly News).

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 1.34.14 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 1:47 PM, freelanceproducer said:

MSNBC has again updated studio 3A, but more specifically the newsroom side of the space. I am not sure if this addition is permanent or temporary for the election, but it is interesting nevertheless. I am interested to see how MSNBC uses this structure on election night.

For those familiar with the general layout of the space, this towering video wall and surrounding knee high wall are in the newsroom part of the set blocking the window into 3C (Nightly News).

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 1.34.14 PM.png

Here's a preview of how we can expect MSNBC to use this space for Election Night

ezgif-1-2a9709bdafc6.gif

Archived